Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 monroe conversion 4x4.....im picking up the truck next week (feb 5th) in central fl and driving it back to central WV. The truck was recently repaired so I hope im not on here asking for advice while broke down on the side of 95. I got a great deal on it buying it from my father in law (who has two of them). This one was used in his construction/ roofing company and has been well used. Ive wanted this truck for a long while and finally was able to make the deal... I plan to start a build thread and describe in more detail whats been repaired and post my upgrades and restoration progress. Before and after pics Etc. Ive always been a lifted truck guy and most of my trucks are head turners.
Below is a short list of questions I have if you guys wouldnt mind giving me feed back.

1. Ive read a ton of wheel option threads but most are several years old. Id like to run super singles front and rear with as large of tires possible with out additional lift kit. Id like aggresive tread tires. Anyone have suggestions for sizes and places to get them. id prefer used wheels or inexpensive wheel options (i cant swing 5 to 8 grand for wheels).. and id love to run easy to obtain military tires that are also on the lower side of the cost range. Right now im just hoping the 19.5s get me home.

2. Im considering switching it to a flat bed. If I do I will sell the monroe bed if anyone is interested. I kinda like the look. Plus I am hoping to be able to pull my 38' fifth wheel camper behind it and if I cant with the stock bed,,,,, im hoping I can with a flat bed. Plus I can put my sxs on the back with a flat bed. Anyone with flat bed pictures or see any decent looking (direct fit) used flat beds for sell plz let me know. I also will be pulling heavy trailers for my buisness (also roofing and construction) hence the reason I dont want to lift it to the moon.
thanks Brad

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It might help if you posted what your truck is? Year, miles, engine, 2 or 4wd, etc?

There has been little or no development in wheels and tires (since this is a discontinued truck line) so if you read the other 50 threads on here about them . . . you're probably up to date.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
05 4x4 monroe conversion kodiak. 100k mi.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if anyone has any current info on (whats left out there) WHEELS. id appreciate it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you want to pull a 5th wheel and the truck being a 4x4 you have very limited tire options unless you want to lift your camper. The stock 19.5s & a hauler deck is about right for a fifth wheel, I went with a deck & 11r22.5s and it's too tall for trailers I'm going to have to swap to a low profile 22.5

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you want to pull a 5th wheel and the truck being a 4x4 you have very limited tire options unless you want to lift your camper. The stock 19.5s & a hauler deck is about right for a fifth wheel, I went with a deck & 11r22.5s and it's too tall for trailers I'm going to have to swap to a low profile 22.5
Lifting the camper is an open option ill take if necessary. I lifted my old camper to fit my duramax (pic above) which had a 6" lift and 35s. It pulled great and never dragged anywhere. my father inlaw pulled big gooseneck dump trailers with it in its current form. (which I also have plans for a big flat bed gooseneck as well) I may have to keep a nice set of stock 19.519.5 low profiles to bolt on when pulling trailers and have a set of (hopefully) supersingles with as big as I can fit aggressive tread tires for when im not pulling a trailer. And I havent rulled out a flat bed. thanks for you feed back. You have a pic in this forum?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Alcoa makes direct fit rims in 22.5x8.25 as well as ones for a 22.5 super single. Like I said 11r22.5s on my truck are 43" tall which puts the flatbed upper chest height on my 6ft 1" frame. I love the look of mine but it is just too high for 5th wheel. If you want a real mean look you can get military tires in 24.5 that are 46" tall. Here's a post I made in a different thread which has pics
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...577-year-mileage-roll-call-5.html#post6818073

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alcoa makes direct fit rims in 22.5x8.25 as well as ones for a 22.5 super single. Like I said 11r22.5s on my truck are 43" tall which puts the flatbed upper chest height on my 6ft 1" frame. I love the look of mine but it is just too high for 5th wheel. If you want a real mean look you can get military tires in 24.5 that are 46" tall. Here's a post I made in a different thread which has pics
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...577-year-mileage-roll-call-5.html#post6818073
Good lookin truck. What did the bed cost, if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
687 Posts
About $7500 cdn, I ordered it custom made so the wheels would fit in the openings. It's an ok deck but the paint finish isn't great, it's got a B&W hitch on it but they welded it solid so you can't remove the ball or install any of the B&W accessories. I suppose that is the difference between a custom $20,000 hauler deck & a $7500 of the shelf model.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got to fl to pick her up today.. sorry i dont know how to resize pic on my ph. Ill post better pics when i get back home.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im gonna make a preliminary list of things that need attention and if any of u guys have any insight or parts source id appreciate it. In the least id like to share the transformation of a ragged lut work truck to a truck that looks like it was owned by some one who cares about it. Do they make a chilton manual for theses trucks? If not any suggestions?
1. Cracked windshield.

2. Heater core has been bypassed. Im gonna try and fix it tomorrow before we head back north. I hope i can find one in stock. Checked it out today and doesn't look to bad.
3. Air ride seats not working. Not sure if the compressor is getting power. Gonna try to switch out the relay? In the least im gonna try and un hook the lines to the seats and put a valve stem on it.
4. None of the idiot lights below the radio are lighting up.
5. It needs glow plugs. (Suppose to be the only engine codes it throwing). Any know the going rate to have theses installed? I dont know if i want to take that on myself.
6. Radio works but no sound. One of the previous drivers had a system put in it and took it all out when he quit. maybe something in the dash not hooked up right when they put the factory radio back in? (I hope) gonna be a long ride with no tunes.... im also wondering if this may also have something to do with the idiot lights not working under the radio? none of them in that spot come on even for a sec when u first turn the key on like the dash lights do in the cluster....are the suppose to? In the least the squigly line for the pre start doesnt come on at all.
7. Needs tires. Has 285 70 19.5 toyos. 1 passed tread bar and other three just above tread bars. Front 2 r 1/2 tread And shake between 45 and 50. Then smooth out around 60 mph. Gonna see what i can find on short notice tomorrow or in theast have the fronts balanced. Can theses tires get flat spots from setting for 2-3 years?
8. Cosmetic = clearcoat on bed is sun baked but in good shape. I thing i can buff out cab and repaint bed. Or i may have it wrapped. It needs a new tail gate and the back cab trim pc around the back glass. The pass side is missing and the top one is laying in the bed hanging by the break wires.... are these easy to find or monroe only stuff? Also i noticed on my father in laws 2wd kodiak, this trim is one pc?......
9. Interior is trashed. Have you ever seen the inside of a roofing crew's truck. Leather Seats need redone/replaced/or nice seat covers if the makes them. Front door panels are in rough shape. I think when the took the system out they broke a bunch of the plastic pc's plus they are dirty and cracked. are these monroe only? Most of the work trucks have manual windows. The pop out pc with the elec windows and mirror controls is pretty busted up to. Back panels are ok just tarred up and dirty. Carpet is wasted but i figured out today there is a brand new factory vinly mat under the carpet. I guess monroe leaves them in and puts the carpet kit right over them. Back seat work(lays down) buts extremely dirty....maybe down the road ill have them recovered.
10. last but definately not the least. The oil light with the wrench over the oil can is on. The oil pressure seems good so im hoping i can top it off with oil and it will go off. Or ill change it if need be.

Thats all for now. We'll be putting about 800 miles on it on sat..

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I like the color.
Heater core replacement is not to hard. Helped a friend replace his. Part we purchased was ACDelco 15-62897. Got it from Amazon. Old heater core had allowed antifreeze to leak inside cab.
Lights on dash not working may be unplugged connector behind panel.
Oil light being on is oil change light. Need to read manual to get it off.

Reactions: wv kodiak

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
If not the connector behind panel for lights, it may be due to radio connection or lack of. Factory radio interconnects things like door chime also, if I remember reading correctly. Good luck and welcome to the club!!!

Reactions: wv kodiak

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
also like the color. don't see to many in that color

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heater core installed today. Had to get a gm one due to short time frame to order aftermarket. Was pretty easy. Took about 45 min. I love how the inner fenders come out with clips...
also got the lights under radio working (unplugged) and radio working. but i had to un hook driver door speaker because it wouldnt stop chiming. At least i got other one for the 12 hr ride up the road in the am... thanks for the comments above and love the truck so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
new boots.....

went ahead and bit the bullet and got some new tires for it today too. The old backs were beat and the fronts shook between 55 and 65 (im assuming from flat spots for setting for 2 yrs or so.) It had 285 70 19.5 toyo's on it which were 35.1 " tall and more of a highway tread. Turned out that size isn't very common and i couldnt find any in stock to have installed today. I ended up with 265 70 19.5 which are 34.2 " tall with more of a mud snow tread (also toyos). And they are actually the same size with new full tread compared to the bigger old ones worn down to the tread bars. Ballanced with beads and now it rides 95% better. Also discovered it need brakes which ill do when i get home.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

all 6 same front and rear.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Needs brakes? You may want to look at some of the threads on brakes for these trucks. Does truck have a Exhaust Brake?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts