Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Burb, 320,000 miles, leaking coolant like crazy, tried the GM tabs, so far no good. Original IP, water pump, transmission. Only replaced the starter, FSD, wasted gate solenoid, alternator since I bought it. My time is up, I found a new block locally, with heads, the dealer is not sure what year it is. All we have is some numbers on the block. These numbers are cast in the block, 12555506, f149, 12562492, on the head was a sticker gj 9, the old part number in his computer is 12457643, and the new number is 88894130. I am hoping someone will tell me this is a 2001 or newer block, am I correct, the best years for the 6.5 block was after 2000. I am not going to rebuild the origina block. lAny help is appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had my engine replaced in warranty (oil line failure) in July of 2002. I'm told it was built to order at the new GEP plant. The part # for this engine was 88894126.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
320,000 miles original ip. my gosh if every truck came outta the factory like i'd have never had my ip replaced under warranty. my engine was also replaced under warranty at 30k.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
The easy way to find out if it is the newer block is to physically look at the block and see if it has the international diamond cast into the intake valley. Many GM dealers are selling leftover GM blocks that are NOT the updated blocks. The latest blocks were cast by GEP for international sometime in 2000 or 2001 I think it was, but GM continued to use leftovers until they ran out of there blocks that the military didn't want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts