Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Banks just announced a new muffler for their 4" monster system. Supposed to be a little quieter, and not "drone" like the old one
(according to their rep I spoke with). Anyone have any info on this?

http://www.bankspower.com/Product_News.cfm

It was the noise level which I have shying away from to date, if this solves some of the problem, may be a 4" system in my future.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just put a new full Banks on my '04 and I can say it is moderate by comparison to others. I was suprised to actually get the new muffler and the instructions didn't match the muffler, but I am please none the less...

You can hear it in the truck at cruising speed, but only slightly and the radio will easily drown it out. Now when you nail it, the truck rattles windows in da hood
!!!

Idle has a lower tone at idle but is not much louder than stock. If you need some audio, let me know, I could drag out the video camera and get some sound/pics for ya.

G

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the new muffler, and although I have not heard other 4" systems for comparison, I don't think it is that loud at all. Sounds great at full throttle, and not much louder than stock at idle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been wanting to put on an after market exhaust but I am concerned about voiding the warrantee. I notice you have 2004's did the dealer say anything about voiding the warantee?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I would love to hear it GassedRacing if you have the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to hear a clip too

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Actually I would really like to go for a ride in one. I want to make sure the drone is bearable. I can't find anyone close to me with any kind of aftermark pipes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The drone everyone is referring to only comes with age. When new the original Banks 4" muffler there was no drone. Even now after 2 years I certainly don't mind the sound when cruising @75. I will say that when accelerating it does have a real good bark now. I like it. Hell, I wouldn't put another pipe on it if it was truly quiet. Actually if you drive it "normal" with a light right foot it's still pretty quiet. But then, once you get the pipe you like the sound so the right foot starts to get heavier.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm saving my pennies for a Banks system. I've ridden in Nick's truck and I like the sound. I didn't notice any drone, but then we were blasting from 0--80, 0--80, 0--80, over and over. Didn't have time to notice.

TC

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concern about the noise from the old & new Banks mufflers, is the so-called drone. If I never towed, probably would not be an issue, but pulling long grades with a load, its going to be annoying if its too loud.

I was really interested if anyone has heard the new muffler AND the old one, and could give an opinion of the difference between the two.Edited by: jeephauler

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nick's is an old muffler version and it doesn't seem too loud even with the windows down under full throttle. You can still hear the mechanical sounds of the engine over it and with the windows up it doesn't seem to intrude on conversation at all. I know he's made the same observations here himself. But I thought a disinterested point of view might be helpful.

TC

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i have the new one, my wife only noticed under acceleration that it was "different" than before. She said it sounded deeper but no drone. I have not noticed any perceptable drone at 55mph like others have commented on. The muffler is extremely nice looking, don't imagine it will stay that way though. The tip is very nice also.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I don't think my old-style banks is loud. i still hear my engine over it. i have a CC/SB so it might be louder with a shorted cab. i've heard that distance from the driver and the exhaust pipe makes a big difference. i'm quite happy with it. its still quieter than my old 97' 1/2 ton with gibson exhaust. it does get louder when you nail it, but i still hear the turbo above all else!

Nick

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a reg cab with the old version Banks. I do get a little drone at highway speeds. It drove me nuts for a while, but now I guess I'm so used to it I don't notice.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I just replaced my 1.5 year old Monster muffler with the new one. With the old muffler, my 2002 extended cab long box had the drone between 1600-1900 RPM's, (53 to 59 MPH). The drone was most noticeable in 5th gear, worse when under load.

Banks sent me the muffler for free, I only have to pay to return the old one to them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I Will Have To Get Back To You After November 7th. Going Down To Jennetty's Racing To Have Banks 4" Exhaust And B&D Exhaust Brake Work Done And Maybe A Smartbox E

1 - 17 of 17 Posts