Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed reading the reviews on the New Dodge 2004.5

Ordered a new truck on Dec 12th, 2003 this past year, and was told it entered the assembly line on Jan 6th. It is somewhere between Mexico and Saskatchewan Canada. Still waiting for it to arrive. My new truck is the 4 doors, Laramie model, short bed, Patriot Blue, 2500 cummins turbo with 4X4 options and a Positrack Rear end, off road packages, automatic, etc. No sport model. I just sold to a coworker a Dodge Ram, 2001 SLT PLUS with the quad cab 4x4 (34,000 km) as I found over the past year that I couldn't pull the heavy 5th wheels (in the market for one). I am also new in the area of pulling large trailers. I was also doing some yard work this past summer and noted I couldn't carry too many patio bricks and I figured I better trade to a 2500 model. Since I was in the 3/4 ton I also took the opportunity to order a Diesel power over the Hemmi, so I could experience the diesel world in my life time. (My wife thinks I am nuts!)

I never owned a diesel truck before and I have been searching the WEB trying to find info on how to Break in the engine, the does and don't on diesels, etc. I am not sure what type of oil to use Synthetic vs Regular? I did however note that on the Cummins site they suggest not to switch to synthetic until the break in period has been reached. I have found this forum and it looks like most of you have a great handle on this type trucks. (An Old GM Fan, Sorry Chevy fans they just priced themselves out of the market)

Would like some one to let me know where I can find such information.

ps: also enjoyed the pics on the cut away motor, even though I have no idea how it works.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome from another Dodge guy.Let us know when you get your new rig.As far as break-in for the Cummins...RUN IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, but I think they want you to wait 500 miles before you tow anything to wear in the American axles.They say it's better to work the Cummins so it breaks in faster(usually between 10-20,000 miles).Try and get some pics up as soon as you get your new ride...Doug

·
Registered
365 Posts
CANADIAN_Frank,

Welcome,

You will like the extended oil change interval (15K), even if you change it more often. Many engines go a long way and only use 'dino' oil. My thoughts are you should save the money of synthetics. Spend it on filters or 'bombs'.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am new to diesels. Love mine. Everybody I've talk to says take it fairly easy for the first 500 miles, which is what I did.

13,700 miles so far. Absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can also chek out dieseltruckresource.com for more info on the dodges

·
Registered
64 Posts
First day I owned mine I put over 600 miles on it, 400 of that was pulling a large G/N trailer with 13,000 lbs. of pipe on it. The trailer weighs 7000 lbs. empty. I pulled the trailer every day for the next month. End of the first month I owned the truck I had almost 11,000 miles on it. The truck is now a yr old, (next wk.) and has almost 102,000 miles on it. What I'm saying is, don't worry about the break-in, I doubt anything you do will be close to what I do daily. Just run the truck and enjoy it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Captainmal

Hate to do it, but I'll have to disagree with you on Synthetics. I've used them for years and have never had any lub problems. I also use the extended drain intervals on my engine. I don't drain until my oil analysis tells me to. I broke the engine in on my 03 with three changes of dino oil, at 18k I switched to Amsoil and didn't change again until I got to 88k. I wouldn't have changed it then except I lost the filter-minder in my air box. (some of those good oilfield roads) The oil analysis showed to be high in silicon so I dumped it. If that hadn't happened, I would still be running it, the chemistry showed the oil to still be good. When you run it the way I do, it's actually much cheaper than dino oil changing it more often. I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but with a half million miles + of hauling and no component failures it's hard to argue with. The full flow filter is changed every 8k and the by-pass filter is changed every 24k. Works for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellows

Sorry to sound stupid but what is Dino oil... is it regular oil?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Canadian_Frank

Yep, it's regular oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts