Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the word about a week ago, Amsoil has come out with the Torque-Drive transmission fluid for the Allison trans. Cost is 21.41 a gallon when bought in a 2- 10 quart jug case.

Greg

·
Registered
540 Posts
So does this mean the other stuff you sold me is not the right stuff anymore??

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does not me that at all Larry. Things improve and get better but it does not mean its wrong.

Greg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Stupid question, but! - What comes in the Alli from the factory?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The Alli comes with regular Dextron III from the factory.
It is not synthetic.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Regular dextron stuff.

So is this new stuff to solve the problem some were experienceing with the other amsoil stuff being too slippery making it easier to slip the tranny?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Synthetic lubricants have a lower coefficient of friction. It is a myth that synthetics are slippery and cause slip. The fact is holds better and if the trans was slipping you would see a rise in temperature as well.

Greg

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Not saying that it was cuase it was synthetic, just that the formulation that was being used was too slippery from what I have heard. People were saying it was easier to limp and slip the alli with amsoil in it. I think sdaver was experience this as were others.

Dextron is dino and if you stick it in a trany requiring ford ATF you will slip stuff beings its more "slippery" than the ford stuff. Just like sticking ford atf in a trany thats designed for dextron will make it "grippier" Most of the aftermarket "trick shift" and those types of atfs are just ford atf. I agree its not the synthetic part.....its the additive package. From what i have read though i will dissagree that the amsoil stuff holds better than regular dextron or transynd. I dont know about the new amsoil stuff though???

I'm not knocking amsoil in anyway, just curious. I might be interested if I can see that it works well and isnt as expensive as the transynd. I want higher heat protection but wont do extended drain. JMO

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ratlover
Yes I have heard some say it would go into limp mode. But I really feel it was a trans problem to begin with. I have countless customers using the universal atf and several pull heavy loads daily and as of yet no complaints. In fact it has been nothing but good. Many say it shifts faster and is more positive, while others comment on temps staying low. Not real sure what to make of.

Greg

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Maybe just the guys running some extra power were having issues? There must be a reason amsoil developed a new fluid?

Is it on allisons approved list? Or will it get there?

The cost definatly dont look bad.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I know this is about Amsoil and not Mobil 1.

I ran Mobil one synthetic ATF in my truck for a while. And the transmission temeratures was 30-60* higher and the truck would zing the tranny much easier then with dyno or Transynd. I have never tried the Amsoil ATF synthetic.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
now we just need someone to test out some of it! any takers? i'm thinking about it as i've got a good handle on slippage..

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sure would be nice if bad mouthing a product was backed up by a technical paper, article etc. Later! Frank

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Well I just ordered some as I've been running the regular amsoil ATF since the first change-out. I will be able to tell if it makes any difference..

Nick

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have no experience with the sythetic trans fluids. You would think that with all the positive experiences on the synthetic oil side that trans fluids would follow suit.

On the other hand I know the factory spec for the Allison and all other GM trannies is Dexron III. Can you argue that it is just spec'd because it is cheaper? Probably, but it is the spec all the same and we know it works in trannies all over the world.

When I got my Suncoast transplant I asked about synthetic fluids. They recommend Dexron III also. If you are really worried about it you can change the fluid on a more aggressive schedule. Some guys change the tranny spin-on filter every other oil change or so for extra insurance.

I have ran my truck for 25,000 hard miles on the stock tranny and 5,000 extra hard miles on the Suncoast.
The fluid in both units when changed was perfectly clean and sweet smelling. The guts of my stock tranny were still in great shape and had no signs of heat damage. (Except maybe a couple of small Hot Juice induced burns on the clutches
)

IMHO Dexron III is just fine and the rest is overblown snake oil. Flame suit on.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
"Synthetic lubricants have a lower coefficient of friction. It is a myth that synthetics are slippery and cause slip"

NOT A MYTH..........PROVEN REALITY
just like hdmax said...just the amsoil slipped the transsynd worked great. I just had to flush it twice per the hoot method to get rid of the amsoil. Hopefully the new version has the proper additives.

Dex III for me to as per joe @suncoastEdited by: sdaver

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Synthetic lubricants have a lower coefficient of friction. It is a myth that synthetics are slippery and cause slip"

NOT A MYTH..........PROVEN REALITY

It did not slip because it was synthetic and more slippery, it slipped because of the additive package used. I would bet that different friction modifiers are being used in the new stuff. But we will find out soon when Nick tries it out.

Greg

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
dave wrote

"Hopefully the new version has the proper additives"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts