Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have my new actuator and harness to replace the thermal unit.

I'm a little confused as to where this will plug in. I have ALL DATA but their schematics are hard to read in GIF format - not to mention the location of the plug that I am supposed to plug this into.

Nest.. the brown wire... what does it do?

The tech notes are about as clear as mud which leads me to wonder if I could just wire it up independently of the Transfer Case and use it like a locking 4WD--if thats the case, does anyone have info as to what wire does what.. short of burning up a motor.

Does the motor "Reverse" as in go in and out (by turning one way and then the other?

any light that can be shed is appreciated. I had another post but perhaps it's not clear as no one has answered yet.

thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
IIRC - Brown wire goes to 12 volt with key on...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now We're Talking...

helps to be in more than one user group...

Now about this part....
How does the following info unfold if I want to make this thing lock in only when i want -- I use Low Range a lot to maneuver a long cargo trailer in very tight spots and walk it up hill in reverse.

Would it make sense to just put a switch on the Brown 12 Volt wire??? to disable the actuator motor?

-------------
Original post from chevy thread...
------------
Some more info, the new actuator uses an electric motor to engage/disengage the front axle, the same principle as a power door lock motor, power motor one way to engage, power back to disengage, the old actuator only needed power to engage, it retracted itself when power was removed, the new actuator uses the original engage wire to power out to lock the axle in, the new brown wire supplies the power to disengage when you disengage 4WD, if it's hooked up wrong it will engage as it should, but will stay engaged when 4WD is disengaged. Don't ask how I found this out.

------------------------

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Think I might have it here...

=================== posted on chevy forum...

the new actuator uses the original engage wire to power out to lock the axle in, the new brown wire supplies the power to disengage when you disengage 4WD, if it's hooked up wrong it will engage as it should, but will stay engaged when 4WD is disengaged. Don't ask how I found this out.

===============================

It looks like all I would need to do is have a double throw double pole relay -- or find out how the thing is grounded and just nix the ground to the motor when I do not want 4WD...

any comments on that from anyone who has walked through this minefield??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts