Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pickuptruck.com Review

Refinement - Power - Simplicity - Reliability - Longevity ......'nuf said?

Fellow with a Powerstroke stopped behind me at the Flying J on I 75 in Georgia last night. He walked up and said, "Man I would sure love to have one of these trucks".

Duramax guy across the pumps asked..."Why not one of these"?

I never said a word (unusual). Ford guy did it for me.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Noisy - Casting #53 - Death Wobble - Killer Dowel Pin - Wonder bread tested......'nuf said?

I wonder when Captain will stop comparing his OLD 01 Duramax to the current model 04 German Dodge ??

Why don't we compare apples to oranges with Melvin ??

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Glad to see engines are moving in the right direction. Clean and quite. Before long we will all have spaceships. To bad that this is not the engine in your truck. And before you get carried away with the simple/reliable part, did you notice the injectors are buried in the head and there are 43 "new " engine componets. Lets get some miles under our belt before we MOS's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an interesting question guys. Why do you come on a Dodge Cummins Forum and bad-mouth the Cummins?

Seems most, myself included, DO NOT go to the Duramax forum and do that. Guess you have no 'class'.

My thoughts are you should keep this kind of stuff in the WAR ROOM where it belongs.

Smile, someone loves you.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Thanks, lots of people love me. I remeber giving you a link to a Dodge sight not to long ago. I would have never chimed in if it was not for the comment about the Ford guy doing your dirty work for you. In all reality we all have trucks that are almost identical in features and performance. There are a few small trade offs here and there. After I bought my Dmax I just knew it was a good truck and stopped doing the whole comparison thing. Too bad you don't have the same feeling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Why don't we compare apples to oranges with Melvin " I do believe all he has ever compared is two trucks with diesel engines. Sounds like apples to apples to me. I also had an 02 D/A and I can only say that I agree with everything that Mal has ever said about the two. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Lets just say I don't miss my old truck. And unlike Mal, I never had any major problems--so if there is a little ax grinding on his part I could understand it. I have none. The Americans/Germans and Mexicans built a winner.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mal

Dont get all poor me cause I got ya ...

You have been bragging up a storm since you got the new beast,even on the Duramax forums along with jumping in when the oportunity prevailed to pick on the fall shorts on the Duramax in the Duramax forums ....

No ??

.....How long did you think I'd sit quiet ...

I think a fairer observation should be a 04 LLY handshacker verses your 04 Cummins ... Cummins over came many BUGS when they were introduced in the Dodge pick up over the years ..

How old is the Duramax ??

I post on the TDR too same screen name I jump in when they get to proud and look to bash the max ... The GM diesel has no forum there ,just general diesel ..

Mac

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
MABurns said:
"Why don't we compare apples to oranges with Melvin " I do believe all he has ever compared is two trucks with diesel engines. Sounds like apples to apples to me. I also had an 02 D/A and I can only say that I agree with everything that Mal has ever said about the two. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Lets just say I don't miss my old truck. And unlike Mal, I never had any major problems--so if there is a little ax grinding on his part I could understand it. I have none. The Americans/Germans and Mexicans built a winner.

Burn'se

How long was the Cummins been stuffed into the Dodge ?? Do I need to list ALL the problems ??

Why did they go common rail in the US ?? Would you have purchased a earlier Cummins ??

They have refined the beast from Frito Lay to Consumer ...

Nuff Said ....

Mac

·
Registered
772 Posts
Congratulations to Cummins for now leading the power wars, and with lower emmissions. Those 15 horses and 10 lbs/ft of torque give them current bragging rights over the LLY, 'course the wimpiest chip will erase that, but then we're into "chip wars" and those'll never end.

BUT, as long as Cummins is using the Bosch high pressure common rail fuel injection system Dodge owners ought not get too smug until time has assured them that Daimler - Chrysler has solved the dirty fuel riddle. If they haven't, then Cummins may have widened one gap only to narrow another. Power alone is not the ultimate goal. It's power over time that will win the war.

TC

·
Registered
994 Posts
In my daily 100 mile commute across the greater Los Angeles basin, I have really begun to notice all the new 3rd Gen Dodges. I think Dodge has a winner here. Most are 1500 series. There are very few Cummins in the newer 3rd Gen body style (because up to this point they have only offered a 235hp version). I expect to be seeing a whole lot more Cummins now that they are offering the Newer "600" series engine in California.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dang Cap'n Mal they sure did beat you up
.http://www.mtdemocrat.com/articles/2004/01/15/road_beat/x1501_a.txt Here's another article with some 0-60 times,8.0 ain't too shabby for a 3/4 ton truck
.Also read where Cummins tested some engines at full throttle for 22,000 hours.That's equivelent to 3.8 million miles.I think if there was a problem it may of showed up then.Also these HPCR Cummins have been in use in Europe for several years without much of a hitch.Hey Mackin' I have the "53" block and have had it cranked to 400+ hp for a couple of years.Guess what no problemo.I've never had "death wobble".KDP is mainly on 12 valves and is not that common.I would like to see how the LLY does also.It will probably be better but I doubt it will take the ALMIGHTY C
...Doug

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mackin,

"Noisy - Casting #53 - Death Wobble - Killer Dowel Pin - Wonder bread tested......'nuf said?

I wonder when Captain will stop comparing his OLD 01 Duramax to the current model 04 German Dodge ??

Why don't we compare apples to oranges with Melvin ??"

What does this mean? Your first sentence does not make sense to me. Is any of it related to the new Cummins?

I did the comparisons between the two engines/trucks on a Duramax forum because I thought that was something others asked me to do. At the time I did not know of the Cummins' forums. Think I have stopped comparisons on the Duramax forums and will monitor that I don't in the future. Sorry I offended you with my truthful comparisons. I can accept the fact that the Duramax is a loser and I was dumb and unlucky enough to buy and use one. Can you?

Dodge/Chrysler has a long American history. Most still consider it an "American" product even though most, or much of the corporate profits go to Germany. I find that sad as the Germans did attack us in WW2 and have a history of brutality toward us. Frankly I did not have good experience with one Ford I owned so that was not an option. I applaud your patriotism for bringing the issue up.

The Japanese were lying to us in Washington while attacking and slaughtering us at Pearl Harbor. Then their war tactics included barbaric torture of our people who were captured, suicide bombings (Mitsubishi planes) and actual cannibalism. Many of our captured people were tortured, executed and pieces of their livers EATEN by some Japanese in a ritual of strength.

The Duramax is a JAPANESE ISUZU engine. 'Nuff said?

"Dont get all poor me cause I got ya ...

You have been bragging up a storm since you got the new beast,even on the Duramax forums along with jumping in when the opportunity prevailed to pick on the fall shorts on the Duramax in the Duramax forums ....

No ??

.....How long did you think I'd sit quiet ..."

Guess I'm real stupid because I make no sense of this either. 'Got me on what?'

As for the other, it is so poorly written I can't figure out what... 'fall shorts ...Duramax forums'... means. You should have paid attention to more of your English classes. It's not too late, take a correspondence course.

Mack, I'm not sitting quiet either. I will stay on the Cummins forums and the War Room. Remember, THIS HERE is a Cummins Forum. It's nice to talk Cummins here, good and bad. HERE I think it is also acceptable to compare the engines and trucks with a truthful slant toward the Cummins if you choose.

As for me 'bragging up a storm', I'll take that under consideration. My thoughts are it's just a truck that I use to deliver trailers. Anyone with some money can buy and use one, like any other tool. To me it's no big deal to buy a tool with a reputation that works and then use it. In the future I'll try to parse my words so as not to offend those who are sensitive. But if I do....too bad. Learn to live in the real world.

I have posted over the years to selfishly gain knowledge from others, help some and entertain myself a little. Seems to some both the good experiences and the bad ones are fuel for criticism. The old addage makes sense in this case....."you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Eric Merchant (Dmaxillatech) is a heck of a good man. There, I said it and now you can criticise that too.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Of course none of that first sentence makes sense to you

"Noisy - Casting #53 - Death Wobble - Killer Dowel Pin - Wonder bread tested......'nuf said? Shows me you know absolutely nothing about the history of the Cummins engine since it's introduction into the pickup truck market ... We call that a bandwagon jumper around here ... The Cummins B was installed in delivery service vehicles ... Get the Frito Lay wonder bread reference ??

Although I clearly understood

Refinement - Power - Simplicity - Reliability - Longevity ......'nuf said?

so I guess that makes me smarter ....

I'm pointing out the imperfections in the motor you've come to love ... Did you know Cummins stance on warranty on the KILLER DOWEL PIN ?? Do you know what happened to all the poor suckers with the THIN blocks with casting #53 with warranty repair Captain ?? I bet you don't .... Chrysler DODGE screwed many, bud ... Why don't you do some research before you blast me bud ...

Your sometimers is also kicking in when it comes to your posting in the other forums here on the Diesel Place since your purchase of the Cummins ... Have YOU only posted in the Dodge forums since your purchase ??

How about your recent rant on the Allison transmission, do I need to go and drag it here so you can understand and or find it MAL ??

I am simply pointing out you are comparing a REFINED ENGINE to a first year ENGINE and i's engineering faults ... I am simply pointing out to you MR. English major that the Cummins had MANY bumps in the road on it's way .. But since you are a bandwagon jumper (do you know what that is MAL or do I need to explain )? you know NO history of the Cummins engine in the DODGE truck, HUH ??

You also know absolutely nothing about the front end problems associated with the Dodge ... Maybe I'll have my friend stop in who owns one and has spent PLENTY trying to correct the wandering problem ... I could go on and on Mal ... I'm letting you off easy ...

You wanna brag take the good with the bad Mal ... We all know when something goes wrong such as a failed lift pump or the likings to we wont be told ....

What does Eric have to do with this ?? Talk about not a clue ... Gheeeesh ............

Go fish...

Mac

I'm exercising my right to pollute your thread ... Like you have done in Duramax forums with your opinion ,no not allowed ?? Or you don't like it ??Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yea mine rattles, It took about an hour to take care of the dowel pin, never had the death wobble I did have it on a ford once cause the Idiot at the tire store could not balance one ton wheels right but it has never been an issue on my dodge. Seems to me like the only people that don't like the dodge are the ones that have never owned one. The cummins is tried and true and all you maxipad guys can say is well the duramax has only been out since 2001.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
captainmal..... Mackin is just tired of hearing you all over the boards Dmax bad.... my new Cummins greatest.

Swallow it and move on, it's a two way street. I've been known to brag and have taken the heat with the failed headgasket. You aren't the guru of Dmaxes. There are plenty more out there that haven't had the complaints and problems you had. OK you had a problematic truck. Doesn't make everyone's problematic.

And finally your BIGGEST complaint is the, in you very own words, "defective fuel system", the same one that's in your new Cummins. Does that concern you at all? Or did Bosch make it special for you?

BTW: pickuptruck.com review put the Ford 6.0 up top last year. How come you're not driving one of those?Edited by: hoot

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Captainmal,

We are going to have to agree to disagree. You posted atleast 10 times in Dmax threads. It was at times when we were scrathing our heads or down on our luck. I don't now you or your history here. Alls I know is your post were rather offensive and annoying. That is why I finally responded to one of your post with a link to TDR and suggested that is where you wannabe. Get it wana-be. Since then you have not posted much if any. I appreciate it. I will never intefere with your discussions again. War room is another story.

ON EDIT: A friend of mine told me one time. " When it comes to any of the big 3, you just hope you don't get a lemon" He is the smartest Dodge owner I know.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mack,

Did not know about the 'Wonder Bread". Guess they were/are in delivery vehicles because they are reliable.

Did hear of the dowel pin issue but isn't that an old issue not related to the newer engines and NOT real common? Never have I run into an owner of the early 90's Cummins that spoke of it or the casting blocks. I am not well-informed on the history of Cummins in pickups. I was almost always a GM person until they let me down big time. I 'jumped the bandwagon' because my towing experience with the Duramax proved it was a loser (although I did try to buy another one) and the 6.0 Ford was not an option. I chose the Cummins because of it's GOOD reputation, and it was the only other option.

I admitted to posting on the Duramax sites and still might if information I have, like how to remove a fuel filter, is useful. Can't remember the context of my recent Allison posting or the forum it was in. Seem to remember it was a response to some tone about how good the Allisons' were or a question or comparison to other automatics. Did not remember it as a 'rant'. Mine broke. Telling someone that is not wrong.

Friend just put a new lift pump in his '01 Cummins with 180,000 miles on it. I think it cost him $140 plus two hours labor at Diesel Injection Service in Harmerville, Pa. They are an independant Cummins shop. That kind of price for a repair seems like no big deal to me, especially since it was his first repair of any kind that I know of. Compare that to the thousands I spent trying to repair the Duramax and the projection that I would need another $7,000 or more, and it's like nothing.

I also know nothing about problems with front ends 'wandering'. Guess you are referring to the older Dana axle assemblies. Never heard of anyone complaining on that issue either. They use American Axle now but I don't know if that's an improvement or just a business issue. Seems all the issues you bring up are minor compared to Bill in Texas right now. His information to me has dollars approaching $20,000 to cover all the repairs on his '01 Duramax. Then he, like I had to, must deal with how long those repairs would last.

Can't stay any more tonight as I have a morning charter ( yes, I'm going fishing) and must clear out. Did drive 1,046 miles to PA in one 16 1/2 hour day. Then visited my mom, picked up a trailer and spent the last two days hauling it through all the ice and snow in the Carolinas. Drove back here late last night. Need to get some sleep and notice I did not say how wonderful this 'awful' Dodge/Cummins was through all that.

Oh, I was not an English teacher. I taught science, math, geography, social studies, SAT prep., alternative education, elementary, and reading for 33 years. My degrees are many and in all those areas. Is this some kind of bragging to explain? My real feelings about this education are not positive as all the degrees made me fodder for transfer to take care of problems in areas needing attention.

As for mentioning Eric in praise, it was to prove you are the type of person who will find reason to criticise anything, just like you did.

It's your right to post where you wish, but I encourage you to get off the Cummins Forum unless you have something positive to contribute.

These rants have denegrated this forum's usefulness. You may have the last word. I'm going to let it die. See you in the War Room? Edited by: captainmal

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Like I said ....

When an Early (98 ish ? Brazil)Cummins block cracked out of warranty or denied a problem even existed along with the Dowel Pin backing out and grenades a motor what was the cost to the consumer ?? A engineer defect by no other name ... Sound familiar ??

No problem Mal you get my point I'm sure ....

But this is a keeper

It's your right to post where you wish, but I encourage you to get off the Cummins Forum unless you have something positive to contribute.

Little less hypocritical of late day posting on your part ...

Mac

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText width="80%" background="" bgColor=#fefefc>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=smText noWrap>Posted: 18 January 2004 at 10:52pm | IP | Report Post </TD>
<TD align=right width="100%"></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD class=smText vAlign=top width="20%" bgColor=#fefefc>

Diesel Fanatic

Group: Diesel Fanatic
<TD class=text vAlign=top background="" bgColor=#fefefc>

Bruno,

Good luck with every local, regional, national and world manager you can cry to. If you have three times the success I had when I went through similar problems, you will still have nothing.

Oops, I'm wrong. You will still have to deal with the truck and lots of debt. That's something????

</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

http://mail.wackywack.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4127&KW=captainmalEdited by: Mackin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Only time will tell but the Bosch HPCR in the CTD is not the same as the one in the Duramax. Nor are the injectors the same.They are in fact made by the same company but that doesn't mean it is the same components. Over the road trucks and many Medium duties have Allison transmissions too...... Made by the same company but not the same thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Burn'se

How long was the Cummins been stuffed into the Dodge ?? Do I need to list ALL the problems ?? Since 1989, how many have you owned. I had a 94 and a 99...now a 04. I didn't have any problems.

Why did they go common rail in the US ?? Would you have purchased a earlier Cummins ?? Emmisions requirments and the american publics desire for more power. I did, and never had a problem.

They have refined the beast from Frito Lay to Consumer ...I guess Isuzu refined theirs in Kobelco excavators......I drive a truck that's engine was refined in a potato chip truck and you drive one refined in something that digs sewer lines. Not a whole lot different.

Nuff Said ....

1 - 20 of 101 Posts