Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of your new 2016 Palomino Columbus 381FL. Truck pulled it like a dream. I mean I could tell it was back there but no issues getting up to 65. Of course I wanted to be safe so the first stop was the scales. Now I will say the first one I stopped at I screwed up and pulled too far forward. The guy barely spoke English so I just took the numbers and then reweighed it when I got home. Now these weights are straight after leaving the dealer. There is nothing in the trailer. We never haul water/grey/black either.

First weigh:
Steer Axle: 10720
Drive Axle: 00000
Trailer Axle: 10480
Gross Weight: 21200

2nd weigh:
Steer Axle: 4600
Drive Axle: 5780
Trailer Axle: 10500
Gross Weight: 20880

How ugly are these numbers?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Nice trailer.Kind of like mine same weight wise.I was over on pin weight when I had my 2500.By the time wife threw the whole house inside I was over weight.Mine did drive fine too.Just watch the cross winds scary feeling sometimes.I had to upgrade to a dually night and day difference to me .Looks like your sagging alittle.Get some air bags.Beware of the shitty.ass China bomb tires if you have them.
Try this and see if it helps you.
RV Tow Check | Salesperson Fact Checker
http://rvtowcheck.com/rvtc_calculator.html

·
Registered
501 Posts
Very nice setup. Never saw those trailers till a couple of years ago, not sure how long they've been around, but they do have some nice floor plans. I'm assuming yours is the front living which is a way cool floorplan. Please keep me posted on how you like it. The Columbus is one of the trailers we are looking at for our next one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like your sagging alittle.Get some air bags.
Funny enough I have air bags. So I had them installed about a week ago. Never had them before or know a lot about them. Everytime I get in the truck the compressor would run for like 20-30 seconds. I was told that was normal. So when I picked the trailer up yesterday I increased the bags from 10 to 45 PSI. The truck did not move. I figured there was just so much weight. The dealer told me when they were installing the hitch that they could hear some air leaking. So I took it back to the installer and they checked. Sure enough there was a leak at one of the t's. So they fixed it and WOW. So with 10 PSI the trailer sags about 2 1/2 inches. With 60 PSI the trailer sags about 3/16". I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see if there is a difference in the towing now that I towed without bags.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Nice trailer.Kind of like mine same weight wise.I was over on pin weight when I had my 2500.By the time wife threw the whole house inside I was over weight.Mine did drive fine too.Just watch the cross winds scary feeling sometimes.I had to upgrade to a dually night and day difference to me .Looks like your sagging alittle.Get some air bags.Beware of the shitty.ass China bomb tires if you have them.
Try this and see if it helps you.
RV Tow Check | Salesperson Fact Checker
http://rvtowcheck.com/rvtc_calculator.html
Link doesn't work for me. :confuzeld

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You will have no problem towing that trailer as long as you have appropriate tires. I tow much heavier legally with the truck in my sig.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have no problem towing that trailer as long as you have appropriate tires. I tow much heavier legally with the truck in my sig.
What are your thoughts on my tires? I don't know what I was thinking but I set all tires at the max 65 psi before hooking up. The trip home was about 60 miles of which 40 were interstate. I was running about 60-65. While on the interstate the rear tires shot up to 70-71 psi. Front tires hoovered around 67-68 psi.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If the max air pressure printed on the side of the tire is 65 psi, then really look at the weight limit for that tire printed near where the pressure is printed.

You want enough tire weight capacity to carry all of the rear axle weight on two tires. A little extra capacity is comforting.

Then think about the added weight you will have when you are rigged and ready. Easy to put 500 - 1000 lbs on the pin unless you can load the rear of the trailer.

I have similar weights. With stock 245 load range "E" tires rated at 3145 per tire at 80 psi, I have to be careful to keep the rear axle weight around 6090 lbs.

You could go with higher rated tires if the rims are rated such..... or a bigger truck. Prudence with your current setup maybe the most workable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires are rated at 3195. Rear weight on the scales was 5780. So there is very little room for added weight. I have been shopping tires but have not found any I like with much higher ratings.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Tires are rated at 3195. Rear weight on the scales was 5780. So there is very little room for added weight. I have been shopping tires but have not found any I like with much higher ratings.
Remember when you load the trailer only a percentage of the weight ends up on the rear axle. Even if all the loaded weight goes in the very front of the trailer some is distributed to the front axle (remember hitch is in front of rear axle). Any weight added behind the trailer axles actually takes weight off the rear axle. Of course you don't want to put all the weight behind the trailer axles as that will adversely affect the handling. I think if you load your trailer then re-weight it you will be under your tire maximum. I would still keep the speed down to 65 or 70 at the most.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Remember when you load the trailer only a percentage of the weight ends up on the rear axle. Even if all the loaded weight goes in the very front of the trailer some is distributed to the front axle (remember hitch is in front of rear axle). Any weight added behind the trailer axles actually takes weight off the rear axle. Of course you don't want to put all the weight behind the trailer axles as that will adversely affect the handling. I think if you load your trailer then re-weight it you will be under your tire maximum. I would still keep the speed down to 65 or 70 at the most.
Totally understand. Thanks for the information. I was planning on weighting it again once we have it loaded. My concern is that all the outside storage is in the front. So I am looking to add a cargo carrier to the rear so that I can move some of the weight back to the rear of the trailer. As far as inside goes. It is a front living room model so there is very little storage in the front of the trailer. Most of the inside storage is located from just in front of the trailer axles to the rear.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Suprised you don't have E rated tires on your truck.If you do you should be inflating the tires to 80psi when towing.
My G2 are always at 80 psi when towing as well as my trailer tires.
When I am not towing I drop them down to 65 psi.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy LMM
16,207 Posts
Not all E tires are the same. The bigger the tire the less psi it will handle.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct I have E rated but they are 20's. Have not found any 20's that have a higher load rating than 3195 @ 65psi.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually considering getting a set of 18's but just can't decide on the tires I need.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will those fit?
My 305-55's are 33.2 x 12.01 and they barely clear.
285-75 are 34.6 x 11.2 and
275-65 are 34.1 x 10.83

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
need to get a picture of your GCVW sticker from your front drivers door. it states your max weight for axles, truck, truck/trailer. then we can compare that to what your empty weights are and then also to your loaded weight once you are fully loaded with all passengers, fuel, food and gear. don't forget about the little gear like the generator, chock/wood blocks, ground pads for the power and stabilizer jacks, lawn chairs and such. it all adds up. you will have to play around with where some of this stuff gets loaded to better balance out your weight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts