Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on make of nerf bars? I need a set bad or my wife is going to scalp me! Looking for a set that not only look good but will hold up to real world use. What brand have you installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hey, I looked around for a long time due to so many manufactures out there. All sit on the rig differently...some stick out, some in, some hang low and some hand close up. I wanted some the hugged close to the body, inward and upward. Went with WESTIN chome nerf bars. NO DRILLING required and mounts strongly to the body. See attached photo of my bars:

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Same here. Westin Platinum series. If you truly want the best go with the Platinum. Chrome plated stainless steel, no fuss, no muss and no rust!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sidebite252, I have Westin Nerf Bars on my '02 Crew Cab. So far, so good. Fit/finish seem to be good. No problem recommending them if they are the style you like. Here's a pic of how they look on my truck. Good Luck, DinoMax

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like the GM factory ones. They are pricey (about $690 list) to buy through the dealer, but I got an extremely good deal on mine because of my dad working for the dealer. They are cheaper if you buy order them up on the truck. The thing I like about them is that they have a single step pad that runs 3/4 of the length of the bar as opposed to two individual steps like the one in the picture above. Easier to hit when you step in and out of the cab. dmaxalliTech in Grand Rapids, MI works at a GMC garage there and has had some outstanding prices on them in the past. Check him out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Westin's are one of the Best. Mine are 5 years old and the chrome is great. A decent deal for a chrome set is $335 out the door, about another $30-$40 for installation.

Part no's extended cab 25-1940, Crew Cab 25-1950. Change the last number to 5 for black powdercoat.

Platinum Chrome over Stainless, wheel 2 wheel will approach $500

·
Registered
149 Posts
I beg to differ on the Westin's - They are a piece of junk. I'm talking about the regular chrome model, not the platinums. Where I live we have lots of gravel - they chip up quickly. Then winter comes and with it comes lots of salt, and they rust badly. The chrome is so poor the rust just starts even where there is no chips and you can see by my sig my truck isn't very old. I wouldn't trust they're platinums up here either- look for something better. My 2 cents

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
army said:
I beg to differ on the Westin's - They are a piece of junk. I'm talking about the regular chrome model, not the platinums. Where I live we have lots of gravel - they chip up quickly. Then winter comes and with it comes lots of salt, and they rust badly. The chrome is so poor the rust just starts even where there is no chips and you can see by my sig my truck isn't very old. I wouldn't trust they're platinums up here either- look for something better. My 2 cents
Um, I AM 'up here' and my platinums are awesome. We sell lots of bars and the westins are the only ones that hold up. They also have an excellent warranty program. If you see and rust within 5 years, they will replace them for free. The platinums have lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I priced them out for crew cabs before I ordered my truck and found that GM beat most of the competition for me. I get GMS pricing so they cost me $410 for chromed stainless installed and they fall under warranty. I think the regular price was $490. My last truck had the Westins and I was happy with them but they were black because the place I bought them from recommended black because the chromers chipped, or so they said.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys - I'll check out the Westins - They sure look good on Surfer & Dino's trucks. I got a twin truck to Dino (but still bone stock.) That's fixin to change. I've seen a lot of Westins on Fords & Dodge truck but not that many GM HD in my area to look at. I feel sorry for the others! LOL! They don't know what there missing. I should have stayed out of these forums - After talking to some other DM junkies I'm sure fixing to start spending the bucks. Let the upgrade begin!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone know if the factory front mud flaps will work with the westin bars ?

Looks like it might be a close fit !

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Bigf00t said:
Does anyone know if the factory front mud flaps will work with the westin bars ?

Looks like it might be a close fit !

Should be no problem at all.

·
Registered
646 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=bold>

Bigf00t:

I have the molded GMC Mudflaps and Westins. They fit fine.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kartattack & Max Power,
Thanks for the info !! Looks like it`s a go !

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Try Bully Bars stainless chrome. I went with Bully over Westin the shop I bought from offered both brands it was just a personal preference and they were recomended by a local 4x4 shop. A little pricey compared to some but look good and hold up nice. Bully and Westin are comparable in price and quality.They are pretty well tucked in but are low enough and out enough to get in and out. Bully also has a lifetime warranty on Stainless and 3 years on black.

Edited by: noproblem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,I have stainless wheel to wheel step bars on my truck.They have three steps.They are mfg. by Willmore.I bought them from Accessories Direct in AZ.They were $305 + shipping.I also recently added factory molded mudflaps.They just touch the bars.I had trouble with the front flap mounting hardware but they look good.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought oval Westins as they are flatter and wider than coventional tubes and offer a wider step to use and they are aluminum and cannot rust. Just personal preference, too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts