Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What actually is involved with mounting nerf bars? I am looking forward to adding them fairly early on in my ownership experience, but want to make sure they are fairly simple to do. I have access to all sorts of tools, but I hope that I don't have to do much disassembly. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
All that is needed for Westins is remove the cab to frame bolts, put the bracket on and replace the bolts.

The Westin's bolt to those brackets.............3 bolts--------3 brackets.

Easy install, I do not know about the other brands.

GMC
Edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
612 Posts
Can echo GMC's assessment ... have Westin's on my truck and have been well pleased with them ... Jim

·
Registered
941 Posts
Another echo of Westins.

Only difference between the CC and EC is the CC has a bracket that supports the middle of the nerf bar. At first I wasn't too pleased with that middle bracket, but thankfully being a black bracket on a black truck it blended in nicely.

Easy install, took me less than an hour to do myself, and I was taking my time enjoying the easy install....

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Same with the Luverne Stainless Steel bars that I have on my ride. However, I have the crew cab and mine only had the two brackets, one at each end. The bracket is pretty beefy, and one end has an adjustable bolt that comes off the bracket and pushes up against the frame rail. Stops the bar for wanting to bend down under load. Seems to work pretty good, as I can stand on the bar with almost no movement, and I weigh about 240 lbs.

John

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I highly recommend the Westin bars. We have sold lots over the years and the westins are the way to go. The platinum series are chrome plated stainless steel. You can't beat them. No rust and always shiny.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My vote is n-Fab, they hold 450lbs. and mount to the body, at the pinch weld, if I remember correctly you have to drill 4 holes, I have had frame mounted bars before and these are just as strong if not stronger.
Edited by: 8.1GASSER

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8.1Gasser,

I like your truck man. Very clean looking with the bumper and handles painted to match. I also like that color you got there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ditto that on the sweet truck, thats one tight look with those rims and that color.

As far as the bars go, my dealer threw in a pair of GM accessory that the owner was taking off his truck. Look great, installation was a matter of couple of bolts underneath.. I have the black powdercoat, I'm seriously leaning toward having them Line-X'ed. My Line-X guy said he's done them before and they turn out very trick.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VFR, do you have any pictures of your nerfs?? I don't think I have ever seen a picture that had the GM accessory one's on the truck?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

where did you get the N-fabs ? Not much info aside from thier web site. I had heard that www.4wheelparts.com carried them but cannot find them on thier web site. Where they expensive ?

Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Guys, just go to their website, or call them 1-866-806-6322 and ask for Tom(the owner) or Brandon (one way cool employee) they will hook you up, but be prepared to wait if you choose custom powdercoating(their powdercoater is a bit on the slow side) They can powedercoat black and bonded-chrome (which I have) or can paint to match "any" color. I'll attach a couple of pics, go to ww.n-fab.com for more. They were offering these at I believe $400 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
8.1GASSER,

Thanks for the pics! I like!!

I especially appreciate the view of the step pads as they are hard to see on your truck's pics, a characteristic which I like too!!! I don't want them to look as though they stick toooooo far out, so they don't steal too much of the attention!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
754 Posts
BowTieBob

Here ya go

·
Registered
113 Posts
I picked up a set of stainless steel bars for my '04 CC from ebay. Just search ebay for nerf bars and you'll see them. They were $205 to the door. The guy shipped them right away and they are every bit as nice as the Westins I had on my old Z-71. If you want stainless for cheap, these are a great deal. Let me know if you want pics...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VFRRider,
Thanks for the pics. Those are good pictures that focus on the nerfs.

GlassedRacing,
I sure would like pics, as stainless is what I am looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
bowtiebob,

I will also try to get some pics on the board tonight. I have the stainless luverne bars on my crew cab, and really like them.

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts