Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put on some steps next week on my 01 GMC D/A Extended Cab shortbed 2500. Have always had bars in the past, mailnly because they looked sturdier. Where is a good place to get good prices and is there any downfall to running boards. What brands are out there. I currenly have a set of Westin's that I pulled off of my 95 Extended cab Z71, but won't work on my 01, my 95 didn't have the rear doors so it only has the 1 cutout for steps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One downfall to boards is you quite often have to drill some holes in the body to mount them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the Westin Step bars. Got them at Summit for around $340.00 I think. They work well for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the bars, no place for moisture and crude to get traped, thus don't help the rusting process.

Mark

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the Westin's too. Bought them locally for about 350 installed. Try calling some of your local truck places and see if they handle them. Might surprise you with the price, and especailly with shipping added.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I WANT PIPE RUNNING BOARDS................BUT ALMOST $1000.00

WITH SHIPPING IS TOO MUCH......TOO BAD I LOVE THEM

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Got the same without the extra lentgh as Nick. The guy I bought them and my cap from sells a huge amount of truck product and only uses Westin Bars. Says he's never had an install problem or a warranty issue with them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTING PLROD:

I just purchased a set of these and haven't taken them out of the box yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33650&item=2438198231

They have precisely the same mounting hardware as the Westins and appeared to be very well constructed. The seller sent me the LD version by misteak (TWICE) so I gave up and bought Westins locally instead. Then they sent me the HD version after crediting my card. I think their shipping department leaves something to be desired....

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the Waag wheel-to-wheel bars and really like 'em. They have three steps on each side. I also have pics of them on my truck in my sig.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here's whats on mine, N-Fab nerf steps, best of both worlds

·
Registered
448 Posts
Boards will help protect the side of the truck from road debris, but dirt tends to build up on top of the boards immedately behind the front tire. I would think that may not be too good if you live in the snow and ice region of the world. I don't, so I like My Putco Boss boards in the south. IMHO boards look better on a Dually and only look good if the are full length, bed and cab not just cab.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the full length boards on a 2500. The boards are from trail boss. Pretty expensive, but worth it. My wife's heels don't slide & wedge between the truck & the board because of the "backstop"

Also, I have'nt slipped & scrapped my shins yet! The boards are wide & stong enough for my weight & big feet! Love 'em!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you go with boards and do some 4-wheeling don't go with fiberglass ones as my bro did. His now have cracks in several places due to bottoming out.

I went with full length (3-step) chrome on stainless nerf tube from DeeZee. I like these (~$600 installed at my stealer) but I went through several brands first. Namely Quality-S/Wildcat (had continued 'shipping defects or end caps bent a prematurely resting).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
BlueDMax said:
If you go with boards and do some 4-wheeling don't go with fiberglass ones as my bro did. His now have cracks in several places due to bottoming out.

Does he have an HD? If I did that my frame rails would leave ruts in the trail before the boards hit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I lost ground clearance with my Putco Boss boards on My 3500, But I'm a 2wd and don't even try to take it off road. I don't think it would fit anyway.

P.S. To me a benifit of the boards is that you don't see the frame rails anymoreEdited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
958 Posts
Rocks will snag on running boards, obviously even ground will hit the frame first. I trashed a set of the factory fiberglass steps on my other truck by scraping them over rocks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts