Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my trans let go today out of my 1982 4x2 gmc it failed in 3rd and 4th bad slipping. So i found a recent rebuild 89 trans out of a camaro with a v8 and was wondering if this would work it has the tv cable and it is non electronic what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you use it, have a trans guy adjust the kickdown cable, if it can be installed to your throttle linkage

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yup throw it in, if its the same spine.....they changed that somewhere around that time.

you will need a new diesel torque convorter and you will have to swap the governor out from your old one.

You dont need a trans guy to adjust the TV cable.....you do have to swap the diesel cable to the new tranny. It is somewhat shorter than the gasser. All you do is make sure the TV is completly pulled during WOT

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can use the TV cable from your bad transmission if it is works smoothly.

The '89 transmission uses the computer to actuate the ground in the torque converter lock up solenoid (usually terminal "D"). You might have to modify the wiring to get it to lockup.

As mentioned earlier, you will need to use your old governor or change the weights on the current one. The input shaft on the '89 has more splines so you will need a later torque converter. You should get at a minimum, a heavy duty RV diesel torque converter. Finally, depending on who did the transmission rebuild, you might also want to install a TRANSGO shift kit to improve shifting and oil pressure.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the reason i say have a trans guy adjust it is because the tv cable actually changes the pressure in the trans, when pulled, it has a much higher pressure, therefore causing a downshift

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yeah, it's critical, but you're telling me I need an "expert" to figure out how to set that cable just because it's "critical"? I don't think so...

·
Registered
173 Posts
a pressure gauge and WOT specs would would work too

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you follow the procedure set out in the service manual, and don't "adjust" too much from the set length, the transmission will shift and survive. It's not a difficult job, just don't deviate from the recommended procedures. Check www.tvmadeez.com for more info.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya i did some research about the slipping issues and ordered one last night so i will be good to go i am also going to put a shift kit in it. Any more recommendations?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Did you order the cable from the dealer? It seems that aftermarket cables don't have the right length when used on a 6.2.

·
Registered
89 Posts
order the TransGo SK700jr kit off ebay thats a shift kit and a correction/reprogramming kit all in one, designed to correct and prevent some of the common failures/problems with the trans. and like i said get one of them .500 boost valves and throw that in there with it and u should be good. and make sure you get the right kickdown/detent cable and adjust in correctly or if wont last long! Ive been rebuilding a lot of these lately for my buddies and they like the results!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
The wider alto reverse input band would also be a good thing to consider.Pretty cheap to buy too.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
i've got a 700R4 rebuild with corvette internals, and a shift kit installed...she's beefy as all hell and i'll be pulling her out when i junk my truck(tear). best tranny i've ever driven and if you install and set the tv cable right, she'll last you much longer(not the best tranny out there for sure....but they definetly hold their own behind a 6.2)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
the corvette servo is a major upgrade on these...

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
ya...i know...got it custom rebuilt when i grenaded my other tranny(i keep cores on hand for just those circumstances...it cracked the starter housing too....but i'm not replacing it until i have to)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If you go so far as to replace the reverse band,...might as well check to see which pump it has. If it has the old stock replacement 7 vane pump, it would be absolutely ridiculous not to replace it with the upgraded 10 vane, or the aftermarket 14 vane. The pump isn't a difficult piece to replace, considering its already out of the vehicle.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya thanks for the info on the pump i will take a look. So far it is going to get the transgo shift kit as well as the corvette internals as well as the .500 boost valve a friend of mine who has rebuilt 700r4's in the past is going to do it for me and i am going to try and learn some stuff from him. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
just for reference a guy in SD here builds 700r4's with a 500hp warranty for $1250. But that included a race convertor that usually goes for about $300 itself. That was for going behind my built 400 small block.

He said he doesnt do a shift kit, just his own modding (ie: his own version of a shift kit) and the corvette servo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.