Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to start a small construction company with a primary trade of site construction. I've narrowed down a Deere 410G and a 12 ton tandem axle trailer. These two will have a combined weight of around 24,000 lbs. I currently have a bobcat which I may want to throw on there too. I don't know if this is too much weight for a 5500 dump (possibly loaded)

I didn't see a big rig section...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The 5500 has a gcwr of 26000 lb. That is truck trailer payload. You will need to get up into something that has a gcwr of 34000 lb. that will put you in a 65/7500 series. Alot of people will tell you the 5500 will pull it and it will, but you have to deal with the dot regs for being overweight. Let me know if i can help in any way
ed

·
Registered
65 Posts
DOT regs have very little to do with GCWR. What matters are you plates and CDL. If you have 30k plus plates and CDL you will have no problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
DOT regs have very little to do with GCWR. What matters are you plates and CDL. If you have 30k plus plates and CDL you will have no problem.
:badidea:

....unless of course a sharp Trooper or DOT inspector notices that your registered weight exceeds the manufacturer's GCWR. Then you in a heap' o trouble boy! :exactly:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to stay within DOT regulations. There's a small weight station not even 2 miles from my house and I pass it everyday to work. I've been waved down in a 11,000 GVWR F-350 rack truck for no DOT numbers and no company name....

·
Registered
575 Posts
DOT regs dont care about factory GcWR.Gm cares for warranty thats about it.I have a friend who pulls his case 580and Cat D6 on a 12 ton with a new 5500 w11ft dump body.He says he cannot beleive how good it tows it.He used to use an LN8000Ford,but the truck was just shot,and needed too much work.If your load is adjusted on the trailer right,you should be able to keep the truck under the 19000 or whatever GVWR it is.As long as your at or under on all your axles/tires ,and registered for it,on both truck and trailer you should be fine.Id contact your local DMV/DOT office,to be sure,but theres a lot of 1 tons tagged for 14500 onthe truck,and 30000+ total GCWR and the door says 11000 GVWR,and there legal by DOT because they are within all the axle/wheel /tire ratings on both truck and trailer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
DOT regs dont care about factory GcWR.Gm cares for warranty thats about it.

I respectfully beg to differ. I spent 8 years as an owner operator and 15 years moving heavy equipment from Texas to California. I was in more than one inspection station where the Inspectors looked at EVERYTHING, including individual axle weight ratings, and GCWR.

California was especially bad about GCWR on the Grapevine and Oregon on the Cabbage. They don't want trucks running those mountains that don't have the brakes for the combined weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dirt Dog,

I certainly respect your vast knowledge but I too haul from one end of this country to the other with commercial registered cattle that we deliver to buyers. We hauled 30k loads with a 3500 Ford/Dodge for the last 25 years and stopped at every weigh station from here to New York, Florida, California, and what I condsider to be the worst Arizona. Nobody cared one bit about the GCWR of the truck one bit. All they cared about was what our license plates showed we could carry. How many hotshot rigs do you see going down the road that are 3500's loaded with cars, trailers, etc. They are all over the GCWR and stop at every weigh station with no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I will agree with cowboydoc, as long as you do not exceed the gvw of the truck or the rear axle/tire ratings with the trailer pin weight you are ok. The dot does not care about the gcwr. Heck if they did then all of us rv haulers would need 4500 or 5500's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
4x4

Get a 5.13 or yo wont get up hills.. trust me...

I'm looking to start a small constructioncompany with a primary trade of site construction. I've narrowed down a Deere 410G and a 12 ton tandem axle trailer. These two will have a combined weight of around 24,000 lbs. I currently have a bobcat which I may want to throw on there too. I don't know if this is too much weight for a 5500 dump (possibly loaded)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is only a matter of time before they realize the monies to be made on all the drivers out there pulling with no CDL. It happened to me ...in AZ. I was in a Ford F550 pulling my horse trailer with living quarters. Ticketed me (female cowgirl pulling her own horse) for driving without a licence. I now have a non-commercial A.

·
Registered
498 Posts
what about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUMP-TRUCK-TRUCKS-2006-GMC-CAT-5-2SP-SLAMMIN-SAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63734QQitemZ4614192279QQrdZ1

its a 2006. Anyone know the model name? And would i be able to pull 300000 easily?

3:eek::eek:,:eek::eek::eek:????????

300,000 raw peanuts, yes. 300,000 lbs. of raw peanuts....NO!

Assuming that you added an extra zero by mistake, the GV on the C6500 on the site is 25,950lbs. (to stay under CDL). At 210 HP, don't expect to set any records, but with the 2-sp rear axle you should have mechanical advantage to move 30K lbs on-off job sites as well as at H/W Speeds (governed at 65 or 75 MPH, depending on tire rotation limitations or differential ratio to engine RPM governor settings).

There are other "threshold" weight limitations to consider. Anything (other than "for recreational use vehicles") over 33,000 lbs. is subject to DOT bridge laws (29-CFR), this means that operators must maintain CDL and Health Certificates and owner must pay IFTA for states operated in (unless operating within 150 Mi.) IIRC, air brakes are also required for anything over 40K (re: Prevost Luxury Coaches and such that are over 20-tons GVW, MUST be Air Brakes equiped).

RF

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
I'm looking to start a small construction company with a primary trade of site construction. I've narrowed down a Deere 410G and a 12 ton tandem axle trailer. These two will have a combined weight of around 24,000 lbs. I currently have a bobcat which I may want to throw on there too. I don't know if this is too much weight for a 5500 dump (possibly loaded)

As far as just the weight goes, it should not be a problem. I once pulled a load of green cypress about 250 miles with my stock 3500 and tandem dual trailer. The truck, trailer, and load was just a bit over 40,000 #.....weighted at private scales. The T/T was about 16K. I knew I had a load, but it handled it. Pulling was not to bad...the worst part would have been stopping.

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
30,000 would be easy for that truck.Dont expect to top hills at 55mph,but its very safe and well within its capabilitys when the trailer is properly loaded,and its brakes set up right.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The old saying"It takes weight to pull weight" could'nt be more true than right here.If you get anything less than a horse with 33K lbs.GVW,the first time you go up or down a n extremely steep hill,that thing you're sitting on will start to pucker and I guarantee you that you wished you made the right call. 410G's are heavy-I have one-you need a serious ride.:exactly:

·
Registered
271 Posts
depends

MY .02 cents is this. Better to have it and not need it. It always depends on what mood the DOT and scale people are in. In Idaho we had a Mobile unit guy that was an A**. He checked everything. If everything didn't add up you paid. Some will let you get away with the license rating while other go over the whole picture. Depends on if you want to take the risk and have the money to pay the price.

My 1500 has license plate up to 14,000 or 16,000. did I really need it? maybe not. But with a combined weight of 7,000lb truck and 5,000lb trailer cgvw is 12,000. I don't have deep pockets to pay fines. I also have class B cdl with air brakes from previous work. Boy would I love to have air brakes on my 1500.

Also all RV owners, especially big motorhomes, there is talk about require a CDL for this rigs also. Mainly because of the increase of their use and potential for accidents. How many snowbirds and such have experience with this rigs and air brakes? Also some accidents where 16 yr old driving big motorhome that wrecks. This incidents are alot but there is a minority
and when feds and states can make extra $ they will. Personally from my experience would like to see some kind of regulation. I will fault no one but as most on here know, not everyone has experience with these rigs. Like I said, with increase of use of these big motorhomes and even 5'evrs people are taking notice and consequences good or bad are coming.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For what it's worth, my drivers get stopped for 50lbs overweight, then they let 'em go. During a DOT audit the 'special agents' are real sticky about regs. and I have had to answer for it. The stations may not go by the book all the time but they can if they feel like it.
You WILL get reamed if you have an accident and they find the cause has to do with not being within regulations. Since 9-11 and such, DOT has started to clamp down especially around the cities.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts