Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 6.2D that the th400 converter kicked the bucket and I want to put in a gasser 700r4 but having trouble finding the right converter for the flex plate and stall

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
344 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello, I Private messaged you. I think i have what you need for a TH400 Flexplate and Converter. Because otherwise finding that diesel 700r4 specific stuff is getting Extremely hard to find... Plus you'll need a TPS Switch to shift, vs the TH400 uses a VRV Vaccum Controlled Valve with a metal line that goes from the RH side of the injection pump down the side of the valve cover and to the back of the engine and the Modulator on the transmission for shifting.

Since a 700r4 uses a TPS. They are made brand new but around $400-450... & Good luck even finding used! I looked 2 years. The Syntax Diesel Governor is around $65-80, Plus the diesel-specific Converter can cost from $3-500. (I researched all this before i found my 27 spline diesel trans) 27 spline 700r4s were used from 1982 to mid-year 1984. So you'll need one of those if your Drivetrain is all Stock, T-Case, Driveshaft, etc & to change splines on a 700r4 you must pull the pan, the filter, the lock-up solenoid, then pull the pump. Then release the servo for the band to allow the band movement so the input drum can be removed then you are there. Pull the inner sun gear off the output shaft, remove the snap ring, output shaft falls out. A LOT more work than a lot of people think...

Just better to keep your TH400 if it is still in the truck. When you get a chance take a look at my PM Message.

Reactions: 82crew6.2diesel

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,942 Posts
Plus you would need the throttle valve bracket and cable for the 700r4 swap. Very tough to find.

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
344 Posts
Plus you would need the throttle valve bracket and cable for the 700r4 swap. Very tough to find.
Oh you mean the Kickdown bracket? lol. Never heard your term before. The cables you can buy new i believe. but ofc china or whatever probably not the super correct length. lol.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,942 Posts
Oh you mean the Kickdown bracket? lol. Never heard your term before. The cables you can buy new i believe. but ofc china or whatever probably not the super correct length. lol.
That's because calling it the "kickdown" has stuck over the years.
Heck I have seen some refer to it as the "passing gear" cable :D
It is really the throttle valve cable, it controls line pressure, shift points, shift and downshifts, that's why it is so important to have it correctly adjusted.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's because calling it the "kickdown" has stuck over the years.
Heck I have seen some refer to it as the "passing gear" cable :D
It is really the throttle valve cable, it controls line pressure, shift points, shift and downshifts, that's why it is so important to have it correctly adjusted.
Fair enough. ;) P.s Where on a 6.2 eng harness shows the part number? just curious.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,942 Posts
Fair enough. ;) P.s Where on a 6.2 eng harness shows the part number? just curious.
Never noticed any part number on the older trucks, but newer ones like my Dmax have a tag that wraps around the outer sheathing with the part number.

• Wow

·
Registered
344 Posts
Never noticed any part number on the older trucks, but newer ones like my Dmax have a tag that wraps around the outer sheathing with the part number.
Lucky... I am looking into my 1979-84 Parts catalog now. Only shy of 900 pages! :oops::oops: This is gonna take a while. P.sI think i found a Harness. Hopefully. I contacted a guy that had one from an 82 red block. even the special 1982 NPT oil line fittings! <3

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Maybe I should dig through my barn for the couple 700R4 TPS's 🤔🤔 Though I keep toying with keeping one around for if I ever stuff a 4l80e behind a 6.2. Too many trucks to build!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe I should dig through my barn for the couple 700R4 TPS's 🤔🤔 Though I keep toying with keeping one around for if I ever stuff a 4l80e behind a 6.2. Too many trucks to build!!!
yessssss! haha. I'm glad i have TPS spares. I couldn't justify spending $400 or more on a new one knowing its China! Unless they are actually leftover GM? :unsure:
What else ya got for a 6.2 in there you'd wanna sell? Heh. 😁😁

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
yessssss! haha. I'm glad i have TPS spares. I couldn't justify spending $400 or more on a new one knowing its China! Unless they are actually leftover GM? :unsure:
What else ya got for a 6.2 in there you'd wanna sell? Heh. 😁😁
Something like 5 sets of injector lines. I had one crack on me then hoarded a bunch.... lol!!! Someday I need to pull some of my 6.2 stuff and list it. I bet someone could make a TPS sensor off something else work pretty easy on a DB2. It's just a potentiometer after all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts