Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18' flatbed now that I tow a single race car with. Next year, my dad will be racing as well, but doesn't have a truck really capable of towing comfortably (he drives a F150 with the 4.2L v6...barely gets out of its own way), so I'm looking to tow both cars and equipment with my '06 extended cab shortbed duramax. Total weight of cars/equipment should be no more than 8000lbs.

Basically I'm looking at three different trailers, all from Kaufman in Lexington NC.

1st in the lineup is a 35' wedge gooseneck. I like the idea of this one since it would have tons of room for toolboxes.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...Haulers/35-Ft,-12,000-lb.-GVWR-Wedge-p80.html

2nd is a 32' tag-along flatbed

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...2-Ft,-14,000-lb.-GVWR-Two-Car-Hauler-p67.html

3rd is a 34' gooseneck flatbed

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...4-Ft,-14,000-lb.-GVWR-Two-Car-Hauler-p69.html

My only towing experience has been with the 18' tag-along, so I really don't know the advantages/disadvantages of the goose vs tag-along. I understand that goosenecks require a wider turn, especially given the length of these trailers.

If it was you, what would you choose and why?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Go with the 34' gooseneck flatbed. The ride in your truck will be better than with a tag and you will be able to use it for more than just hauling vehicles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they're all open decks, so that limits what I can tow with them.

I will have a smaller trailer available for landscaping and smaller items as well.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with option 3 the 34' gooseneck flat bed. One thing you have to remember, the shortbed makes the corners of a square front gooseneck trailer real close to the cab and if turning sharp like backing up you can get the cab of a shortbed, (been there done that). Option 3 looks like that would not be an issue do to the tongue construction. Gooseneck trailers are much easier on you when you tow, you don't get the bucking caused by a tag-a-long on a rough highway. You must be careful turning a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer, they tend to cut the corner where the tag-a-long will follow. In backing a gooseneck you must start your backing turn much sooner, takes a bit of practice if you haven't done it. Take it to a big parking lot and practice. If you decided to buy the 35' gooseneck, go to a website called Tweety's. It's an RV supply place and look at the gooseneck accessories.
Click here: Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Warn Products - PopUp Indiustries Extended Gooseneck Couplers

You can get a gooseneck extender up to 16". I just bought one for the 36' enclosed gooseneck trailer I bought to haul one of my race trucks, I have a short bed I use to pull it.

One thing I'm not too keen on with the 35' car hauler is how high the load sets off the ground on the front. What are you hauling that only weighs 8000 lbs?

Hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
In looking at the 35' car hauler again the front of the gooseneck doesn't hang over the hitch so an extender may not be neccessaey, still don't like how high it sits no fenders either. Can't use it for anything else as well. MY .03 (inflation):D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be towing two Mustang setup for drag racing. Race weight minus driver is ~2900lbs on one, ~3100lbs on the other, don't remember the exacts. Tools, extra parts, and such make up the rest of the weight.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can anyone think of an advantage to the 35' trailer, other than the room for toolboxes? I was leaning towards that, but really hadn't thought much about the weight being up high due to the wedge. Now I'm leaning towards the flatbed goose.

·
Registered
509 Posts
How low do your cars sit? The wedge has a 72" ramp and the flat deck uses 80" off the 7' dove tail w/ 5" drop. A friend of mine had issues loading his vet onto different trailers because of ramp lengths and load angles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're about stock height, maybe a little lower. I have to carry some 2x4s to clear the ramps on my 18' trailer. I expect to have to do the same on any new trailer as well.

Would the overall length of truck and trailer be shorter with the wedge? Not that it matters much. I'm pretty sure I'll get the flat deck.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Go with the 34' gooseneck flatbed. The ride in your truck will be better than with a tag and you will be able to use it for more than just hauling vehicles.
X2! I hauled a tag trailer like that and the ride was terrible. Get the gooseneck.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
i would go with a trailer that is a full floor that way you can use it for more then just the cars and then also you could build a toolbox to sit in the front of the trailer to hold all your tools and extra tires if you carry any oh and the number 3 option looks the best but with a full floor

·
Registered
282 Posts
What did you end up buying? I have been looking a 2 car wedges and flatbeds. Leaning towards the wedge because it is shorter and presumably easier to pull in the city because of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.