Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe (I dunno) if I'm posting this in the correct section... but I'm looking for (as the title states) some objective opinions.

Tightening up some loose ends...

To chrome or not to chrome? I figured it defeats the purpose of a cucv to have chrome (minus the turn signal liners) they were all I could find. Hard to find good parts.

Also on the subject of the front end, I also have the grill from an 84 dually. It does not have the jumper and blackout cutouts... but it does have some auxiliary lamp housings that would give me an extra lamp on each side. Adjacent to the headlamp... but removes my ability to have the NATO jumper and blackout (which I'm not at war therefore aren't exactly useful at the moment lol)

Interior theme? As of right now (it's how it came) camo seat covers... and I'm not a fan. I know beneath those seat covers were the military red seats. I was thinking black... or red? Definitely not camo... but that's what's there now (and what came with it at purchase)...

I could dye the seat belts black? Or in the objective of simplicity return the theme to red...

Like I said.. opinions WANTED!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Figured it would help if I posted a pic where it shows the current absence of the trim and where it goes... lol

And upon fuethur examination I remembered that the 84 grill from the dually is the same width and the auxiliary lamps are not in conflict with the NATO jumper and blackout lamp... it's been a while since I've dabbled in this subject. I intend on wrapping this up today and tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh, and the door panels... to use or not to use. I personally love the look of nice clean metal but... I have the door panels. My wife wants them on there... I dyed black but they are red and I can go back. Not a big deal...

Red? Black?

I know one is gonna be hotter than the other but I figure the navy grey looks better with black over red, but the red is original so?

Meh.

To many options. I hate these kind of decisions. And I also know that in the end... it's what I like the most right? But... I like it anyway so blah lol. It's fun to drive and trail.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Appreciate that sportsman7, worked hard on it.

No view on the black vs red? Chrome or not? Grill and lamps?

Leaning towards black, no chrome on the front grill area, grill and auxiliary lamps...

Too bad going black is gonna cause more work, and there I lean red for now lol

·
Administrator
15,677 Posts
I would say the cucv was a basic work horse and meant to be as such.

I say no chrome no red and keep it simple..

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I like the original "maroon" seats and belts, but I think the blazers seat actually were more brown, then maroon.

Other then that it's all taste. You can use the other grille, just cut the slats for the slave plug and black out light. Sometimes the original grilles had the provision for the inside lamps as well.

If you plan to keep it a 12/24volt system, having the nato plug is really helpful when you need to get a jump from a fellow cucv enthusiast. It's rare, but nice to have.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...If you plan to keep it a 12/24volt system...
Oh I kept it all right, I'm all about the 12/24. Wouldn't have it any other way with any of my gm diesels.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Decided to go with the 84 grill, went half chrome. I would have left the chrome off but the mold already had the holes drilled, etc. So... chrome on the grill, but no chrome liner that borders the front end...

Got my new 3rd light on each side. :)

Overall I like it.

On to the interior I guess...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts