Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I, too, just signed up because my diesel has let me down. I have a 96 Chevy K1500 extcab 6.5/auto with 148,xxx miles. I bought it with 114k and had to only change oil, filters, batteries, alt and starter. The truck has been mostly trouble free until today. It's been sitting this last week since I've been on vacation and haven't needed it. I started it this morning to go back to work and it gave me some fits. Engine would rev up (without any throttle input) and promptly die. It restarted and I went on my way. It did this again five times before I made it to work (late). At one occasion I was at a stoplight and it revved up and almost hit the semi in front of me!
Well, I was going home after work and it started. I tried to leave and it revved up and died. And since then it will not start at all. Is this a possible FSD module problem I'm having? Have access to a Snap-On scanner and got a few codes. P1216, P1217 and P0281- I have codebook but these codes don't tell me much. I'm used to to working on gas-powered trucks so this is new to me.
I appreciate any input. Thanks.
later
Mike

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
What?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
how

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sounds like accelerator pedal problems.

Check all electrical connections first - especially the ones at the batteries, and at the acc. pedal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this as well, but there are no APP(accelerator pedal position) codes and using the scanner watching live data, I can see smooth progression of all three throttle position sensors in the APP. Anyone else have these symptoms?
later
Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
ECM Going south???

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Howdy Mike welcome to the site update your sig per welcome notes link in mine, in FAQ 1216, 1217 are fuel solenoid codes time short & time long, check fuel sol fuse, p0281 is cylinder balance #7 code, I suspect last one is sympathetic false code, look at fuel solenoid for problem but it is driven by the PMD so it could be that, one of our IP gurus should weigh in soon, yours will be 1st engine run away from PMD I recall. If you can get it running again try running on cruise control it does not use APP which I don't suspect as the culprit.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Your injection-pump is bad. The armature shaft in the fuel solenoid has came apart or the screw is loose on the shaft. Pump replacement will be required to fix it.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Your injection-pump is bad. The armature shaft in the fuel solenoid has came apart or the screw is loose on the shaft. Pump replacement will be required to fix it.
I had uncontroled throttle problems with mine before that an ECM fixed, but mine would rev at idle without my foot on the pedal and then return to idle. In your case with those codes though, I would say dieselpro hit the nail right on the head. Mine wouldn't throw any codes, just rev for no reason and return to idle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine still does that every once in a whial. i put on a new pmd and it stoped it for a whial but everyonce in a whial it will still do it. usually after it is warmed up if i let it set whial i go check the mail then when i return and shift into gear it likes to goose its self for a sec. but it doesnt die anymore. i was told it might be the optical sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did his fail the same way or with the same symptoms?
My pump was SUPPOSE TO HAVE been replaced right before I bought the truck by previous owner by a dealership 'buddy' that hooked him up with the factory warranty. Guess I might have gotten a crappy rebuild or reman or ???
I can't see a properly rebuilt pump quiting after 40k miles. Is there no way to fix this loose screw? I like loctite!
Thanks
Mike
p.s. the cyl #7 code is probably a leaky injector- it bleeds down overnight and starts kinda rough.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
If you like standing on your head you could try getting the solenoid cover off. I guess you could at least get to the armature shaft Good luck.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I just 2x checked my 98 GM manual says same thing as our FAQ list fuel sol fault 1216 is short, 1217 is long pulse

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I just 2x checked my 98 GM manual says same thing as our FAQ list fuel sol fault 1216 is short, 1217 is long pulse
Weird....if that's the case, forget my above suggestions.

That's the first time troublecodes.net has ever steered me wrong..lol...

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Get the same codes with an empty fuel tank, or bad lift pump, or clogged fuel filter - or frozen, or algae in fuel.

Key phrase - sat for a week - before problems began.

Charge batteries, check battery and ground connections, check engine harness connectors for oxidation\corrosion.

DTC codes are variable between marquees, fuels.................

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
read my sig, new ip code 1216

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my hands on some used FSD's to see if it'll try to start... also got a used pump to try out also...got some wrenchin' to do.

Anyway, who's got the best setup for the FSD cooler?

Also, what's the standard warranty for a new FSD?
later
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it's alive

Just pulled off the intake and plugged in a used FSD and it STARTED! I ran it for a second or two and restarted just to re-check. :ro)
Going to Autozone tommorrow to get new intake and valve cover gaskets. They couldn't find FSD or PMD in their fancy computer database. Dealer wants $270-ish but needs to order it.

Well, I was wondering who's got the best deal on an FSD and cooler/relocator? Warranty?
Thanks
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts