Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some good snow tires. The factory slicks that came on my Sierra do not work well in snow, or on the sandy two tracks. I was thinking about trying Goodyear MTR tires. I am not too worried about road noise, it will blend in nicely with the noise from the diesel. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
DuckDog

·
Registered
211 Posts
If noise is a factor to you, you do not want MTRs. I drove my truck with MTR 305s and they were much noiser than the GY AT 305s. The 285 Revos were another (bib) step towards silent! In defense of the ATs they had 45K or better on them. They tend to get louder as the tread wears down. They had about 40% tread left. The MTRs were new. I have only driven it once in snow with the Revos but they worked great. Nittos were my second choice and would have been 1st if I went bigger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Some of my wheelin' friends run MTR's. For an aggressive tire the MTR's really aren't all that noisy and provide excellent grip. Nowhere near as noisy as Swampers or Boggers. For an on-road vehicle I would prefer AT's though.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
MTR or mud terrain. Goodyear MTR are an excellent OFF ROAD tire. Just like BFG mud terrains. Interco (superswamper.bogger,thornbird) also makes awesome off road tires. As far as snow goes, it depends what kind you are talking about. The above listed tires do awesome in deep snow. As far as hard packed icey roads I would not use any of them. If you insist then please get them siped. Most tire shops will do this for a resonable charge. All those little tiny cuts really give the above tires the surface area they need to stick to ice. All terain tires like the BFG all terain and Explorer procomp all terrain and even the Goodyear all terrain are much better suited to on/off road driving vs. a mudder. I have been running my Bronco for 12 years and have belonged to many a 4x4 clubs. I have either ran all of these tire or new somebody that did. Some of the modern high end all season radials will actually give you the best performance in street snow ice conditions. They just get plugged up in serious mud and deep snow. If you ae really serious about snow and ice covered street/highway than you need to go with a tire like the Blizzak. They are made just for winter and stick like glue.Not sure what sizes are available. Well that is just my opionion and according to many I don't know jack. Goodluck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have MTR on my Jeep Rubicon, and I can confidently say that for the type of snow and ice you get on the street, you don't want them. I think the best tire for snow/ice that can also be used throughout the summer is the BfGoodrich AT. They wear much better too. I've put tens of thousands of miles on Goodyear MT/R, BfGoodrich AT, BfGoodrich MT, and Interco Swampers. Each has their strong points, but for snow over pavement, only one performs well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the BFG ATs on my last truck. You are right, they were great in the snow. Maybee I should just get another set of them. You know, always looking for something better.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Id take my 01 with MTRs in the snow way before I take the 02 with BFG ATs. MTRs are a great tire, I mean havent gotten stuck plowing since I got them a year ago. If noise and squirrelly front end travel bother ya, I would buy them. They are pretty good for carrying loads, dont squat for nothing

Bill

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I'm running 265/75 Buckshot mudders w/ studs in all 4 tires for the winter then put the H2's back on during summer.

They are D rated and my local shop has good pricing, $95 ea/ out the door.

So far they have done real well.

I wore out 2 sets of Kelley DTR w/ studs and these tires did a good job.

I got a set of General MT w/ MT classic rims for the H2, $850 for everything, this really turned the H2 into a mudhog, FAR superior to the stock BFG AT

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
the dunlop rt radial rovers or what ever are a good tire in the snow/rain pavement.

problem with tires is that you will always compromise something. The "mud terrain" tires from bfg and good year are ok in the mud but fall short in most other catagories. They are tires that are mostly for people that say and think they want a awsome strictly offroad tire but really dont. Thrornbirds suck in the mud especially for how aggresive they "look" Swampers and boggers and hawgs rock in the mud. And when I say mud relize there was a time in my life that the only reason I didnt get busted by the fuzz was because he thought I was driving a brown ford bronco. It was really a black chevy blazer......well the paint was black. Thank god he couldnt read my plate
I once though I shorted out my headlights......till I relized they were all 4 packed with mud. I've played a bit in the goo in my day
So when I say ok in the mud some people might call great. Anyway.....a tire that will flat out rock in the snow will wear fast due to the soft rubber(like a cooper mts or what ever) So an AT tire is probably what you want(unless you want a summer set/winter set or replace em every 25k) like a dunlop rover rt or a yoko geolander 2 or bfg or other tires that people might recomend here With a tire you cant have one that does everything well. It will either do everything OK(like a mentioned AT) or it will do one thing really well and suck at everything else.

tirerack.com has a spot for reviews and all kinds of specs and such that are helpfull Edited by: ratlover

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ratlover,

You are right about me needing AT tires instead of mud tires. I just need some tires to get my Duramax to my hunting and fishing locations without getting hung up. Mud tires probably do not make much sense, I drive about 90 mikes a day to work. I just thought I could get a super deal on a set of slightly used GY MTR's. They are gone now.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Duck since your hunting/winter stuff in less than 6 months get a second set of wheels and switch.

There's a place north of Detriot that sells H2 17" wheels for IIRC $175/4.

Buckshot (maxxis.com) has a 265/70-17 and many other sell 17" tires too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I drove on BFG ATs in Iceland and up here when I lived in North Pole. They are great for packed snow. They SUCK on ice. The best all around I have found are the Goodyear AT/S. They're performance on packed snow is as good as the BFG. In deep snow, on ice, and particularly on wet pavement I have found them to be far superior to the BFG. They are also nice and quite on dry roads.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Oldman,

Those Goodyear Wrangler AT/S were neck in neck with my Revos. I finnaly opted for the Revos just to try something different. The Ggoodyear are a great all around tire. I think they come stock on alot of Tahoes?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure what they come on stock Bronco. I've managed a couple of auto shops and worked at a Goodyear shop. The AT/S is the best I've found so far for year round driving up here. I've got approx 60k on the set on my 95 Suburban and I'd sqwear they're good for another 30 to 40. I'm not familiar with teh Revos. Who makes them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts