Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just needed some pics of anyone running a 4" rancho lift (or equal) with 285/16 tires. finally getting ready to send mine to the shop to get the rancho 6548 lift kit installed and all the local guys keep telling me it wont look right as i have 285/16 tires and 16x8 weld typhoons going on there. They say 285 will be too small?????? thanks:mad:

·
Registered
78 Posts
285's will look a little small. you can clear 35's pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Use the Search function as there are literally 100's of past postings on this same question. You can also look in the Garage area to view members trucks, including mine with a Rancho 4" lift and 285's.

I think the shop is out to lunch. Rancho actually recommends 285's with the 4" lift and the lift was designed for 285 tires. You won't get 35's to clear without cranking the torsion bars way up which kind a defeats the purpose of the lift to begin with. To run 35's I would highly recommend a 6" lift. For 4" 285, 295 and 305's work fine IMO.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I just installed a Rancho 4" on my buddy's truck. He went with 295/75's and I think it looks absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
295's are the PERFECT tire size for the 4" lift. I've run the BF KO's before ...now I just wish more tire companies would make that size! Only one's I've found are BF KO A/T's and Nitto Grapplers.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Use the Search function as there are literally 100's of past postings on this same question. You can also look in the Garage area to view members trucks, including mine with a Rancho 4" lift and 285's.

I think the shop is out to lunch. Rancho actually recommends 285's with the 4" lift and the lift was designed for 285 tires. You won't get 35's to clear without cranking the torsion bars way up which kind a defeats the purpose of the lift to begin with. To run 35's I would highly recommend a 6" lift. For 4" 285, 295 and 305's work fine IMO.

You do realize there is a ton of people out there, including myself, who run 315 35s with NO LIFT, just cranked bars don't you? I don't see how you can't run them with a 4".....

·
Registered
78 Posts
6"/$'

Well, if you are going to buy 315/75/16's....their not 35" anyway. More like 33-33.5". On a gasser I still have I installed a Superlift 6"/4" kit. The 6" in the front was 2" to get it level, and an increase in height of 4". I cleared true 35" Super Swampers without any rubbing. I know I ran 285's on my 2500HD with no lift...just turned up the torsion bars...and 305's would've fit. I do not have a doubt in my mind that 315's will not fit on a 2500HD with a 4" lift.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You do realize there is a ton of people out there, including myself, who run 315 35s with NO LIFT, just cranked bars don't you? I don't see how you can't run them with a 4".....
Do you have aftermarket spindles that stick the wheels out about 1" further on each side? That makes a huge difference. I'm not saying it can't be done, but to do it on a spindle-based lift which most all 4" lifts are running 315's is not ideal.

Cranking the torsion all the way up to clear the larger tires kills the ride, wears out idler/pitman arms prematurely and completely defeats the purpose of the lift other then looks. If a person is going to crank the bars all the way up to clear and still have rub problems, why not do a 6" lift in the first place.

I know, I've run 315's for about 4 months and gave up on them. They still rubbed at full lock in reverse. Didn't have clearance to run chains, etc. This was with both 4.625" and 5.0" backspaced wheels and 315/70R17 tires which are even a tad shorter then 315/75R16's.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Here's a pict of my truck the day I had the lift installed ...with 315/70R17's ... Looked good ...I do like the look of the 315's better ...don't get me wrong. But I didn't like maxing out the T-bars to clear them and still have rub on full lock.

As for tire sizes ...this is what I found via a tire/wheel online calculator.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit

285/75R16 H: 32.83" Width: 11.22"
295/75R16 H: 33.42" Width: 11.61
315/70R17 H: 34.36 Width: 12.40
315/75R16 H: 34.60 Width: 12.40

Attachments

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
cozad101, you'll have to make your own decision regarding the tires. I'm sure a lot of guys are running 315's with a 4" lift, but they are not doing so without cranking the torsion bars way up. I never said they wouldn't fit but be prepared to do what is needed to make them fit (trimming/cranking).

I simply wasn't comfortable with the 315's so I opted to run a tire designed for the lift. As you know the choice is entirely yours.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help. :) will probally end up with origional plan of the rancho 4" lift and 285 mt's

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm running 305 70 16 stock t bar settings, little fender trimming. Look in garage for pics.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Look in my sig...with 6", 35's rubbed a bit offroad and especially with the snow plow on. IMO, go with the 4" and 305's, you'll like the width better with 305's than w/ 285's!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Look in my sig...with 6", 35's rubbed a bit offroad and especially with the snow plow on. IMO, go with the 4" and 305's, you'll like the width better with 305's than w/ 285's!
Are you saying if you had to do it again you would do a 4 inch lift with 305's? I think im headed that direction.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
What I am saying is if you want 35" to be "usuable" off-road you should get a big 6" lift or be prepared to crank t-bars alot. Making tires clear and them actually fitting are two different things...I think 6" with very little crank and 33's on a 10-wide rim is the best of both worlds:Easier on suspension, great clearance, good mileage... Just my $.02!

·
Registered
479 Posts
What I am saying is if you want 35" to be "usuable" off-road you should get a big 6" lift or be prepared to crank t-bars alot. Making tires clear and them actually fitting are two different things...I think 6" with very little crank and 33's on a 10-wide rim is the best of both worlds:Easier on suspension, great clearance, good mileage... Just my $.02!
Well Im for sure going to get a tuff country lift. If that lift is the same height as yours. then im going for the 6 inch. I love the way ur truck looks, But i dont want my tires to look too small. The back of the tuff country comes with a 4 inch block, and I was going to turn the torsion bars down a touch to give a nice little forward rake. Do you know anything about tuff country compared to skyjacker?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well Im for sure going to get a tuff country lift. If that lift is the same height as yours. then im going for the 6 inch. I love the way ur truck looks, But i dont want my tires to look too small. The back of the tuff country comes with a 4 inch block, and I was going to turn the torsion bars down a touch to give a nice little forward rake. Do you know anything about tuff country compared to skyjacker?

are you out there Onetallgmc?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Guess I'm doing something wrong..... 4" rancho and 35's, no excessive bar cranking either, maybe 2 turns above stock........ mine and about another 16 or so I've done, but we don't need chains, they would be a problem.

Also 4"/35 combo won't work well with 10"(or more) wheels, have to drop to 33's for wider wheels.

I haul GN trailer all over and this combo is about as high as I want to go w/o worrying about truck rail/ trailer collision

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Dang, you have a clean driveway):h

Here's a pict of my truck the day I had the lift installed ...with 315/70R17's ... Looked good ...I do like the look of the 315's better ...don't get me wrong. But I didn't like maxing out the T-bars to clear them and still have rub on full lock.

As for tire sizes ...this is what I found via a tire/wheel online calculator.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit

285/75R16 H: 32.83" Width: 11.22"
295/75R16 H: 33.42" Width: 11.61
315/70R17 H: 34.36 Width: 12.40
315/75R16 H: 34.60 Width: 12.40

1 - 20 of 24 Posts