Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I'm starting a car hauling business and am running into a problem with what to tow with. Every trailer place I talk to said in order for me to tow a 3 car trailer I need a 1-ton. They say my 2500 is not suffcient to handle the weight, but when I add up the weight of the trailer and the average weight of an average car 3600# I'm within the limits. I mean if I get 3 Hummers on the back I can understand some concern but overall I think the truck should be able to handle this. I see many SRW trucks towing 3 car trailers. Second if my truck isn't capable of handling this is there anything with air bags, custom heavy duty wheels, add-a-leafs, anything that could increase the safety of towing 16k loads. I am very new to towing and not well versed in the art of towing heavy loads. Any opinions will be very much appreciated

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think most of your problem is going to be pin weight. I assume you are looking at gooseneck or 5th wheel trailors corrrect? If so these trailers will put about 20% of there weight in the back of your truck and at 16,000 lbs you will be over your trucks GVW. Now I'm sure that your truck can do it but can it do it legally? Comercial tow people will need comercial insurance, and I'm sure they will want everything legal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,
Your truck will handle it. The major difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is the dual tires, extra leaf spring, and tire size. I haul a 44ft goose with no problem. You need to get some air bags though. Big help.
I do not need a CDL because I am under 26,001 GCWR. My trailer is 15500 GW and the truck is 9200GW, so I stay under. As far as a Three vehicle hauler you must find out the GVW for it. DOT goes by CGVW. Combined Gross Vehicle Weight. GVW for your truck (92000) plus your trailer ? There are other things as far as getting your ICC, DOT#, and cargo insurance. Good luck....Davey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts