Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a long one. Alright guys I'm trying to decide what move to make next on the stereo upgrade in my 05 DMax CC with the Bose system. So far I've added a JL500/1 pushing two JL 12's under the rear seat in a fiberglass box(it's tight but they fit). Ultimately I want to replace the factory H/U with a double din touchscreen Nav/DVD unit, then add a drop down screen in the rear for the kids. I know I need to upgrade the door speakers and add another amp to get the sound quality I want.

So here's my dilima, funds are low at least low enough that I cant do the H/U, speakers, and amp all at once, my buddy that owns the stereo shop is telling me just start with an amp to feed the stock speakers, then upgrade those later, then finally add the H/U. I think I remember a few of you guys saying not to waste the time feeding the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp.

What do you think, wait and upgrade the door speakers and amp at the same time or go ahead and add the amp for now then speakers later?

Also if I upgrade the door speakers with seperates can I put the tweeters back in the pillars by the dash? How about adding seperates in the rear, where should I mount the tweeters?

Finally, I've been looking at the Focals and Diamond Audio seperates, what do you guys think/recomend?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
982 Posts
You're going to blow the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, especially one that'll be good enough to push a set of focals or diamonds. I'd save the pennys and do the amp and speakers at one time, then do the HU and other vid equipment on round two. Don't get too ahead of yourself and do it right the first time, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself later.

Also if you're looking at diamonds and focals give rainbow audio a try too. My buddy has a pair and they're nothing short of amazing.

Put the tweets in the doors with the mid's i'll type more later gotta get back to work!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to blow the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp, especially one that'll be good enough to push a set of focals or diamonds. I'd save the pennys and do the amp and speakers at one time, then do the HU and other vid equipment on round two. Don't get too ahead of yourself and do it right the first time, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself later.

Also if you're looking at diamonds and focals give rainbow audio a try too. My buddy has a pair and they're nothing short of amazing.

Put the tweets in the doors with the mid's i'll type more later gotta get back to work!

Thanks that's what I was thinking. Rainbow audio huh???? Sounds a little :sheephump J/K I'll check them out.

Chris

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
X2 Also look at MB Quart, CDT... there are tons more that are good to. IMO get a Soundstream amp they are one of the best there are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
one of the best amps i have ever owned over the years is the rockford-fosgate amps they are old school amp and they are legandary amps. even the guys at the stereos stores will tell you about the rockford amps. you can buy them on ebay for a really good price used.:)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
focals are why over priced if you want agreat sounding speaker IMO better sounding than focals get some massiv audio speakers they are Fing bad @ss and they are cheap because they are not that heard off but check them out at "NON-SUPPORTING VENDOR" and look at the carbon fiber components they are sick and can handle massive power. check out the subs to they will hit super hard and if you need some amps check out the amps too if you like those you can get them for cheap at "NON-SUPPORTING VENDOR" they also sell different brans there for why less than most other places i have looked at

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
The older Diamond Audio component sets sound great. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference. If you have a serious ear for car audio might want to consider Rainbow, they are about $2K for each door.. 3 way component setup.. Nothing can touch them.. But, if you just have a niche for good sound either Focal or Diamond will be good for your ears.. Will for sure rock you out of the truck with the proper amp setup...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Oh and as far as amps go, another good company to match up with the range of speakers you're looking at is zapco Not cheap but having nice speakers and a crappy amp would kinda be like buying our trucks with a 4 banger. All show and no go.

My buddy who I mentioned earlier with the Rainbow speakers used a zapco amp to power the doors and two zapcos for the subs with a nice audio processor. I forget the brand but his setup is amazing and we haven't fully tweaked it yet.

I also forgot, I have a special place in my heart for Boston acoustics top end gear. Their stuff has served me well and lasted for 9 years of abuse and two vehicles without missing a beat. (lol, no pun intended)

·
Registered
825 Posts
I agree with the last post about Zapco. They have the finest amps on the market, but they're very expensive.

Has anyone heard about MB Quart's quality dramatically reducing? I was thinking of picking up a pair of their components for my truck, but someone told me they were bought out and are now being made cheaply and more efficiently, and that they now sound like ****. Don't know the truth to this.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I remember hearing some rumor about MB quart going more "mainstream" if you will. I dunno, didn't pay much attention because I've never liked the way MB quarts stuff sounded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't speak for MB Quart's current quality, but in the past theirs has been awesome for me. I've owned 4 sets of Professional grade speakers (above reference, below Q series, where I could still afford them), they've always impressed me and anyone else within half a block. If you push them with enough amplifier power, they'll get surprisingly loud w/o any overload problems as well. For best sound quality, run Bi-Wire through the crossovers (it's explained in the instructions).
If your not going to go with top end speakers, Infinity Kappas are very nice and they'll mount all the way inside the doors, just adjust the tweaters to point the right way. You'll lose some high freq sound, but it will still be a major improvement over stock.
For amplifiers, consider MB Quart's Reference line, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, and JL Audio if you want to spend a bundle (seeing as you already have a 500/1 pushing your subs, you know how much JL demands for it's amps).
For wiring, check out knukonceptz.com, they offer speaker wire, power wire, terminals, RCA's, ect at good prices with very high quality. Much cheaper than Stinger or equivilent, and you'll never know the difference from the outside.
As far as where to shop, ebay is actually a decent place to get audio components. You can shop new or used for a discount, you'll usually save 20% or more off what a dealer will ask, and most of the time your still buying from a certified dealer and get the warranty anyway.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I was actually thinking Zapco for the amp. As far as MB Quarts I think they recently got bought out by Rockford Fosgate. In the past they've been great, I've had them in two boats but I think the quality may suffer a little with the buy out, we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out but I'm definately doing both the speaker and amp upgrade at the same time, the video stuff and H/U will have to wait.

Chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would get the diamonds or find some older quart q's along with an amp when you can afford it, you'll just get pissed if you amp anything stock (esp. bose). I would try finding some old ppi art series amps for the high end if you don't wanna spend much, otherwise zapco, kicker, and eclipse make nice amps for your high end. Ever since rockford bought mb quart they have gone downhill. I have never liked rockford but I'm really pissed that they destroyed such a great speaker company :mad:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. I was actually thinking Zapco for the amp. As far as MB Quarts I think they recently got bought out by Rockford Fosgate. In the past they've been great, I've had them in two boats but I think the quality may suffer a little with the buy out, we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how it turns out but I'm definately doing both the speaker and amp upgrade at the same time, the video stuff and H/U will have to wait.

Chris

Good choice there, if you do decide to go zapco pony up for the symbilink parts. Good amps and speakers you like with a clean signal :grd:

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
DLS is the one I couldn't think of earlier they have great mid bass. The DLS UR6S are the one I want.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have had almost every amp speaker combo in the last 13 yrs. and I cannot believe how impressed I am with he new full digital planet audio amps. Low drain on the batteries and mega power. The price is reasonable. I would highly suggest these.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have had almost every amp speaker combo in the last 13 yrs. and I cannot believe how impressed I am with he new full digital planet audio amps. Low drain on the batteries and mega power. The price is reasonable. I would highly suggest these.
Sounds good. What do you suggest for speakers?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have pioneer IMPP 10's, but I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend. Also I bought the subthump box (I was sceptical) but it works great.

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
Whippled,

If you add some infinity comps to the dooors, they sound sound great on bose power, You can amp them later, and they get better.

And cheap, best of all worlds. I found this out by accident.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts