Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Long Bed Ext Cab 4X4 DRW. It is time for new tires. I would like something just a bit bigger and with a little more tread for getting the damn horse trailer out from the middle of the muddy pasture where my wife's horse insists on being unloaded. A princess just like her owner. However I would like to maintain a high load rating for towing the heavy stuff.

Anybody have any suggestions or experience.

Thanks guys!

PS How do I join the dually club?

Chris

·
Registered
158 Posts
the only thing you have to be careful with is the spacing between the rear wheels. you don't want them touching. i've got 235's on mine with about a quarter of an inch gap with no load.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
blackbird;1560589; said:
I would like something just a bit bigger and with a little more tread for getting the damn horse trailer out from the middle of the muddy pasture where my wife's horse insists on being unloaded. A princess just like her owner. Chris
LMAO - They've ALL gotta glitch somewhere don't they? LOL Gotta love the horses... haha
My wife's got a princess in the making as well :)

I found this:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132858
Maybe it'll help?

·
Registered
184 Posts
235/85/16E with Freds 2 inch wheel spacers. Under full load (6 horse trailer, 6 horses trunks and so on) still have over 1 inch of space between the wheels. Looks good too!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
235/85/16e bfg's on stock no spacers pull 10k no touching (65psi) unless rear tires have 45psi in them (which happened once on a cold morning) then they touch with a load

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Get in touch with Fred [email protected] wheeladapter.com. A true gentleman and you tell him what you want to do...he can make it happen.

Bridgestone AT Revos are my personal favorite.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
I run BFG Commercial Traction T/A's on my truck in 235/85/16's. So far with over 20K hauling the Sundowner to Florida and back, I have had zero problems. Granted I do rotate every 10K, but with two rotations I am still showing little wear. 50K honestly looks like a very obtainable life for this set.

I know what you mean about the horses in the pasture. My girlfriends barrel horse loves to run to the back 40 on Friday night, knowing we have to leave Saturday early morning. With the old Goodyears I would get stuck and need to get out the Deere, but with these tires, I have yet to get stuck in the very same areas in the past. And in my area, we have had more rain this year alone than in the past three years combined!

BFG Commercial Tractions are displayed on BFG's website with a pic of the tread pattern.

Good luck in the fields,

Tony

Oh, I dont have spacers on my trucks and I run 70PSI and very little bulge with three in the slots.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Call Fred...put the spacers on...I did 1-1/2" spacers and rear wheels just barely...I mean just barely stick out...I switched to 235/85. Not too big and look nice...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Along this threads question of larger tires; will 235's still rub if you put them on ALCOA wheels like the hotshot or magnum without spacers? Someone at one time I thought said they had different spacing that allowed the larger tires.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm running 235/85/16 BFG mud terrains on the stock rims. No spacers and they don't touch, even when loaded past 15K lbs. (Running 80 psi). Amazing traction, can only be heard when decellerating from about 50 mphand others are seeing over 40k miles on a set. May be overkill if your only in the muddy pasture once in a while, but a darn good tire. They are load range "D", but because of the extra size are only about 15 pounds shy of the 215 E rated tires.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:nopics:

Okay, you knew that was coming, didn't you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my own experience and humble opinion, I do not like the look of spacing out the tire. It sticks out way too far. If I was going up more than one size it would make sense, but still stick out. I bought a set from Freds Spacers and seem to be the only person on here to not like the outcome. I could not keep them to correct torque either. They never loosened to the point of coming off, but they would loosen up. Again, just my own experience.

I put a set of Michelin 235/85-16s on as recommended here, and they touch. They perform very well, look much better, but they touch. Quite a bit under load. I put on the spacers and hated how far the tire stuck out.

I compared the offset of Alcoa Hot Shots and they are identical to the stock wheels. The previous model year wheels (pre 2001) have more of an offset but you need to bore out the center hole to fit.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i was planning on getting BF Goodrich all terrains when my goodyears are worn out. anyone have those on there dually? and what size

·
Registered
208 Posts
I will say that the Goodyear Silent Armor 235/85 R16 touched on stock rims. I ran them for a week before I noticed and got stock size Coopers put on. I really really like the Goodyears, they were quiet, didn't pick up rocks, and had great traction. I think the reason they touched is because of the rim guard they have built in. The next set of tires I get will probably be the Goodyears with spacers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.