Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem - rounded over nut on the intermediate shaft connection under the hood.

I spent two days completely overhauling front suspension and steering on 2004 GMC Dmax/Allison Crew Cab a couple weekends ago. Got new tires and alignment two days later and honestly had forgotten how this truck rode when new. Very happy...except for the damned clunking intermediate shaft. I bought the new collar that it needs and broke the 15mm under the dash loose. Tried pushing the shaft into the engine compartment, but was unable to get it to budge, so I decided to break the other connection under the hood loose. However, that nut is almost completely rounded over. I had the steering gear replaced about 3 years ago by a reputable shop, but there's no getting this nut off of there as it looks thread-locked and is definitely rounded over. I've tried several 15mm sockets, 1/2" drive, 3/8" drive, box end wrench, open end wrench and just can't get enough bite on it to loosen. As y'all know, it's tight under there. Any suggestions on breaking this thing loose? After almost 17 years, I can't allow this one nut to beat me.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this loctite appears either green or yellow. I'm a little color-blind, especially with an LED light.
thanks for your idea and suggestion. I will not be defeated, even if i have to cut the SOB off.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
this loctite appears either green or yellow. I'm a little color-blind, especially with an LED light.
thanks for your idea and suggestion. I will not be defeated, even if i have to cut the SOB off.
Just make sure you secure the steering wheel so the clock spring doesn't get ruined.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure you secure the steering wheel so the clock spring doesn't get ruined.
yes. I was just there a month ago with a buddy’s 2001 Dmax during steering gear replacement. Our wheel securing device unexpectedly and unknowingly failed. We figured it out during test drive when we heard the pop and the airbag light came on. I do NOT want to do another clock spring!!

Reactions: roswell
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
although i wanted to try the aluminum can thing, i didn't. I ended up with a set of socket-type bolt extractors and was able to break it loose. there was a mountain of some sort of loctite on there (it was black). Who knows, maybe it was epoxy. Either way, I was able to remove it, get the intermediate shaft out of the way, replaced the plastic column bearing, and voila! No more clunking / bonkabonka when I go over a bump. Tight as the day I took delivery back in 2003. We'll see how long it lasts. Whole job only took 15 minutes after I finally got it busted loose. Thanks for the recommendations.

Next is a 100% rebuild of steering components from the steering gear on. Waiting till it cools off.

Reactions: roswell
1 - 6 of 6 Posts