Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 03 Duramax with a new Juice and attitude. I gave my uncle a ride in it and he was greatly impressed. He asked if there is anything made to wake up his 94 6.5 TD one ton, with 200,000 miles. This 03 is my first diesel and I didn't know what to tell him. What can be done for the 6.5 in his truck. What works and What needs to be changed.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
How deep is his wallet plenty of mods for the 6.5 to give it that extra kick, is his bone stock now, and what is he going to be doing with the truck for a daily driver, he'll probably be happy with the easy less expensive ones, do some towing or want to race a bit he'll need to do some cooling mods as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he uses his truck at work, towing an enclosed triple axle trailer , unsure of weight but I'd say at least 10.000. I would doubt he would be willing to spend more than one or two thousand since the truck already has 200,000 on it. his main goal is more towing power and more mpg.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also forgot to tell ya. his truck is all stock now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Unless he is in love with his truck I would not start on upgrades now.

If he is in love I would suggest the following in this order. EGT and Boost guages, $250.00, 3 in exhaust without a cat and new down pipe,$4-500.00, Heath Turbo Master,$70.00, Intercooler, $1000.00, reprogramed computer,$600.00.

Beyound the performance modes he should consider upgrades to the cooling systems for both the trans and the engine

Thats pertty much my setup and I total out at 16,540 lbs and can run with the best of them.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Ditto to what Howie said, another mod I'd look into, Hi pop injectors $500-600, at 200K mi, even stock reman inj 250-300 would be a plus. Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
195 Posts
HowieE said:
I would suggest the following in this order. EGT and Boost guages, $250.00, 3 in exhaust without a cat and new down pipe,$4-500.00, Heath Turbo Master,$70.00, Intercooler, $1000.00, reprogramed computer,$600.00.

All the right things, just I would do them in a different order, and the computer doesn't need to be reprogramed in a '94

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have a 94 6.5 with 200k and was wondering how much bosst to run safely. What other things can i do to boost fuel economy and life of it. It mostly drives empty on the highway but ocasionally hauls single race cars. I also was wondering if anyone knew exactly how the map sensor worked if the resistance got greater with more boost or less ressitance with boost. Well thanks for the help.

·
Registered
294 Posts
John Kennedy [email protected] has addressed this question. I think he has a way of faking the map sensor under high boost.

High boost without intercooling is counterproductive because of the increased temperature of your input air and thus the reduced air density.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
For some good basic info on power addition on Diesels go to Banks site http://www.bankspower.com/ read all the FAQs there. Key to Diesel power is airflow which also helps to lower op temps.

I ran safely with 7psi sustained peaks to 13 after adding a Kennedy boost control that adds boost by faking MAP sensor via variable resistor, input to PCM and does not throw codes.

Warning I would not change anything other than exhaust without gauges(EGT & boost minimum, trans if heavy towing), actually do both at same time.

Once airflow is improved then you can start adding fuel with chips/reflash, timing offset change, etc. As a 94 if towing look at improved cooling 97+ mods (dual therms/130 gpm water pump) retuned fan clutch. As you add power you will add heat 6.5s don't like too much heat,

As Howie says too much boost without IC is a wasted as IAT (inlet air temp) is too high and PCM clips fuel/retards boost to control it, also compounds heat problem referenced above, the cooler the IAT the better. Go to the Banks site gather thoughts and ask for clarification here. Hard to put it all down in one post in a 1 size fits all reply.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Or yet even better than either boost controll mentioned go with the Turbo Master from Bill Heath. It has the ability to have any boost you need and will be a steady boost and not drop of like the others will do. While I do not agree with Jim's statement of the cooling upgrades being a waste as they are more for head cracking issue's due to the lack of coolant flow through the heads the water injection is a good alternative to the under bumper intercooler. I run a plow on my truck so the intercoolers available will not work as the plow mounts are in the way but the water injection will work fine. I am in the parts process of moving my oil and trans coolers to under the bed and use a cooler with an electric fan on it to give more room for a D Max intercooler in the grill.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
From the vendor forum:

I have revised the policy of the forum with regard to Authorized Vendors. Many users were under the impression the forum had a business relationship with Authorized Vendors which is not the case. Therefore authorized vendors have been removed in the interest of simplicity. If you are NOT a supporting vendor you may still continue to advertise your products and/or services in the vendor forum. However you are no longer required to submit a greeting or email to the site for prior approval. Please understand the Vendor Forum Rules still apply so please post accordingly.

If you are interested in becoming a supporting vendor please see the second post of the Following Thread.
Edited by: BIG DIPPER

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Dave

Your post was moved Here untill I was clear on the policy myself ....What I was not clear on was IF the site administrator wanted to MOVE post to vendor forum or EDIT posts and let stand in rotation .... Nonetheless your post was not deleted ...

That is our policy free exchange of info ,welcome to the site ... Now that we are "both clear on the policy" all future exchange of info will or should be usefull ....

Thanks for your patience while we work out the quirks ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Dave,

Please step lightly as your history with me on other forums suggests problems in the future.

hoot

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Free & uncensored,

I tried to join the group above ChevyGmc Diesels was denied admission by moderator I don't even know GM Diesel tech unless we have crossed paths him posting as a different alias. So much for freedom from censorship.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
GmDieselTech said:
hoot said:
Dave, Please step lightly as your history with me on other forums suggests problems in the future.
hoot
hoot your behavioral history on other forums speaks for itself, you may feel you have an axe to grind against me, but i was just doing my job as a moderator when you were banned, but only you after dozens of warnings... you must realize you were way out of line, you simply cannot call people names and attack them when you do not agree or do not get your way.

I would imagine as a moderator here you have come to learn that?

I run my free and no ads Tech Help discussion group the same way with no BS as well as the other groups I moderate for.

I cannot see how I'd ever be the problem...
bury the hatchet already,
isn't it time to forward?
i think you'll find life more enjoyable with less stress.

there was no need for you to bring that stuff up here... right?
What on earth are you talking about? You banned me from where?

BTW: I was also denied permission to join your site David. You were not denied here.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
GmDieselTech said:
Mackin said:
Dave Your post was moved Here untill I was clear on the policy myself ....What I was not clear on was IF the site administrator wanted to MOVE post to vendor forum or EDIT posts and let stand in rotation .... Nonetheless your post was not deleted ...That is our policy free exchange of info ,welcome to the site ... Now that we are "both clear on the policy" all future exchange of info will or should be usefull ....Thanks for your patience while we work out the quirks ....Mac
sorry, still not clear...

Unless if by 'free exchange policy' you mean moving a post with pertinent details in direct reply to the topic and made by a non vendor then moving it to the 'vendor area' away from the topic being replied too...

well that is still censorship, right?

if i understand your post signature correctly, you imply you are against censorship, correct?

the topic was/is censored and if you did not post that link nobody would have known where it is and would have to go on a wild goose chase to track down the information,
including myself who posted the info HERE in direct reply to the correct topic in the first place.
make sense?

kind of like having a a series of phone messages and then putting one reply in someone else voicemail box, who's gonna find it!
Let me see if I can be more clear ,um it was moved in error .... I should have edited like I did your other post where you made mention of said vendor being supportive .....

Clear enough ??

To move the post back will take it out of rotation ..... Do you want it back although I can not change the post order and it will seem out of place ??

Lets realize I have no hidden agenda ,a simple explanation is all I thought it would take to resolve this issue ....You will see this is the least over moderated forum with loads of technical info available,but cross the line and we shall move swiftly to resolve ....
Settle down realize small errors happen from time to time it's not the end of the world ,bud .....To be anal is counter productive .....

As you said, shall we move on already .....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Oh yea... I'm hoot over there now and have been a member there for probably close to two years as hoot.

Check out the PHOTO section..... my truck is in the beginning with like 6500 views. Not something you would see from such a terrible person you make me out to be.

Matter of fact... aren't you banned from there

Give it a break. You're here for one thing and it will surface sooner or later.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Enjoy your stay David.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts