Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004.5 LLY w/ 65K

Went out and started my truck the other day after it had set for approx. 4 days. The temp was around 29 degrees and I let it warm up for about 10 minutes. The first thing I noticed was it sounded like the motor was about to rattle apart when I feathered the gas or let off the pedal.... sounded normal during acceleration. The check engine light came on but later went off. Arrived at my destination and the rattle seemed to disappear the warmer the truck got. Came out later and while sitting at a stop light it started spitting and sputtering..... hit the pedal and it ran fine. The engine temp was around 190 at the time and my fuel was real low when I first started the motor.

I have a Diablo Sport so I checked for error codes.... this is what she gave me:

P0088 Fuel Rail Pressure (FPR) Too High
P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator
NC106 No listing for this code

I'm wondering if the lower fuel level and temperature had anything to do with this??? I have no plug in heater so that's not an option. Anyone have any suggestions?? Am I ok to drive the truck until I can get it to a shop or figure out what to do? Thanks for any help!

Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you have diesel fuel supplement in your tank? Have you checked/changed your fuel filter lately? Just some thoughts. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have diesel fuel supplement in your tank? Have you checked/changed your fuel filter lately? Just some thoughts. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Chris
Yes, I normally run a supplement however, this last tank I didn't have any.... However, since the tank was almost empty and that's when the problem first began, I fueled and added a supplement. It didn't seem like it helped the problem...... initially anyway.

I changed all my fluids about 2 months ago and replaced the fuel filter then.

Update:
I just got back form a short trip. When I cranked the truck up tonight it was sputtering again. I shut the motor off and that's when I used the Diablo to check for DTC. When I cranked the truck up after getting the error codes I let it warm up for about 20 minutes prior to leaving. The temp gauge was around 200 - 205 most of my trip and the truck ran fine.......?????? Now I'm lost even more than I was before.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to give an update.....

I filled the tank up and added my fuel supplement after the problem arose. The truck has been running fine ever since but I have noticed more diesel smell coming from the exhaust than is usual. It's almost like the tk is running too rich, which may coincide with the error code - fuel rail pressure being too high. I'm wondering, though, if that is normal given I have the Diablo download? With the holidays dropping on us, the fact that I've been working on my house trying to get it ready for sale, and this screwed up schedule they've had us on at work, I haven't really had a chance to mess with the tk. I'm a cop so the D'Max isn't my daily driver. I'm off for a week and I'm going to check to see if the error codes are gone, but something tells me they haven't. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts