Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this in another post but won't steal their thread. I've got a 17ft tandem axle car trailer, probably 3000 total miles towing on it, and recently towed 560 miles interstate with a BMW323 on it.
I noticed a vibration at 65 mph like a tire out of balance, felt in the seat not steering, and not present when not towing so not the truck. When I got home, I noticed the driver's side rear trailer tire has severely worn the inner third of the tread. All the other tires look OK.
What would cause that abnormal wear? The axle bearings are good, run cool, no slop.
One issue is that I changed to the Putnam XDR which tows a little higher than stock, so my car trailer is now towing nose high. Not horrible, but would that affect tire wear?
There haven't been any curbs or accidents so I can't imagine I somehow bent an axle. I don't think there was anything abnormal from the start, I didn't notice this until after this last trip.
Any thoughts on how to fix this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Almost sounds like a bent or misaligned axle to me, you didn't say if it's a sprung (springs) or torx flex suspension on your trailer.
If it's a torx flex having front end higher while towing will put most of weight on the rear axle. Jim

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
did u check the tire pressure? if it was low it could cause it to wear funny.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had a trailer tire wearing funny and the axle was actually bent just from the spindle out. It was from clipping a curb pretty hard when it was empty I think. Forgot it was back there and the only time I have ever hit anything with the trailer. Also a tandem axle car hauler. A local spring and frame alignmnet shop squared it up for me for $50. Measure the distance between the axles, center to center and see if there is a big difference between the two sides. Definitely either tire pressure or out of alignment.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I agree checking and maintaining tire pressures are essential

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the original radial trailer tires, 5 lug around 1850lb rating. They are at 50 psi cold and I always tow with them like that, and checked them before the trip so it wasn't tire pressure.
The trailer is BetterBuilt out of AL, it has springs not torsion axles. I'm thinking I should try the suggestion of taking it to an axle or spring shop and see if they can verify / repair a bent stub. Like I said, I have not hit anything with it. Now if it was the passenger side...I could believe I'd hit some serious bumps but nothing major, but the driver's side seems more protected from country road hazards.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I figured somebody here would be all over this issue. Some of you guys (and gals) tow a LOT more than me!
Jim

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you have a large right angle square you can put one side on the ground (concrete) and the other side against the tire. Slide it up against the tire and see if the tire is leaning in at the top. Of course tire bulge will usually make the bottom touch first but you can do all 4 tires and compare the badly wearing tire to the others.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I'll try that. Guess I could take a long straight board as a straight edge and compare one side to the other, too. Should the tandem wheels be directly behind each other? I sometimes think the rear one sticks out farther, when I look in the mirror, but then that is typically checking the mirror while I'm turning and I suppose that will deflect the tire anyway.

·
Registered
924 Posts
There needs to be a bias trailer tires on there.Not radials.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bias tires SUCK. unless u use them at 30 mph on a farm.

i have no luck with bias

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My trailer has the original, factory installed radial tires. Only one showed abnormal wear as mentioned in this thread.
ALL of my trailers have radial tires as original equipment.

Why would you suggest bias ply tires? I would think especially with tandem axle trailers you need the sidewall compliance of radials to facilitate tight turns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.