Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!

OK, so I decided to install my own egt. The pyro installed fine, but I am having problems identifying the three wires to wire it in to. The instructions say I need to get a +12v dash (I assume for the guage backlighting), a +12v switched connection (tied to the igntion switch), and a ground. The ground does not look to be a problem, as the black going into the cigarette lighter should fit the bill. Can anyone identify bundle and wire for the other two that are relatively easy to get to?

Thanks in Advance!

JohnEdited by: CS-Dmax

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
What brand gauge? You should have two wires for the thermocouple. One is usually yellow.

I normally ground directly to the body. Especially with a pyro gauge. You do not want interference from other devices.

Here is some info on the thermocouple wiring.
PyroEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an autometer cobalt pyro (thanks IsurvivedNMU!). Anyway, after I posted I decided to call 4x4man and he helped me out. I took the +12 igntion directly off the fuseblock by the drives side door. I took the lighting by tapping the brown with white stripe wire that goes into the lighting control switch assembly. I used a ground that runs into the cigarette lighter. So far, seems to work flawlessly. Getting about 300 degress at idle, and maxing out at around 1000 under moderate acceleration. Haven't been out on the highway yet but looks like it is working fine.

Thanks 4x4man. And thanks hoot, if I see any strange behavior I will redo the ground.

John

·
Registered
420 Posts
Installed my pyro gauge today. Isspro High Visibility unit. The relay block behind the parking brake has both ignition and headlight dimmer power.

Ran the lighting to the location just to the upper right of the relay as indicated in the post linking to thedieselpage.

Two prongs above that is an ignition power prong. Use a tester to determine which one is right.

Grounded to one of the attachment posts for the parking brake mount with a circular fitting and an additional nut.

Fabricated a plastic plate to mount the gauge in the slot to the right of the radio. I am not an authorized vendor (yet), but can provide matte black plastic plates with a hole for a 2" gauge with mounting tape on the back for $8.00 shipped to lower 48 states. IM me with your email address if you want one.

Ran the wire from the probe through the fire wall where a small harness is located that attaches to a sensor on the gas pedal. Looks stock and works great.

Here's a link to the picture of the installed gauge: http://home.wwdb.org/sshiver/Gauge.jpgEdited by: smshiver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts