Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read everything I've been able to find via search.

I'm needing a shell for my 2003 Sierra CC shortbox. My annual deer hunting trip is getting closer and closer.

I went window shopping yesterday and saw SnugTops, Leers, Legends, Innovations, and a few A.R.E. It seems the nicer ones with the SUV-looking rear windows run $1,500 +, but they don't normally come with side win-doors ... just popouts. The aluminum-frame jobs are less expensive, but sure don't look up to snuff on a $40K truck.

I've read some mixed reviews on A.R.E's and Leers. SnugTop seems to be unblemished yet, but there ain't a whole lot of anything out there on them.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. It's getting time to order one.

Rick

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've only owned one shell and it was a Glasstite. It was an older model, but similar to their current GT2000 - High Rise model. Even after being 20 years old, I could still get on the top and crawl around to clean or lash stuff (I weigh 200 lbs) without fear of breaking it. The sliding windows would work open on logging roads and let dust in, but I screwed them shut (aluminum frames). The window handles disbonded, but some 3M tape fixed that. The latches and locks worked at least until I sold the truck. Oh, and an errant lawn mower knocked out the rear glass, but I replaced it with Plexiglas.

If I decide to get another shell, I'll look very closely at Glasstite. They have an economy-minded companion brand called Raven. I'm not sure how they differ.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Like yourself, I agonized over which/what to get just last yr. I liked the Carry Boy. Made structurally sound, the only reason I didn't get one was because the one I wanted didn't & couldn't have provision for a window screen. Out here, Leer tends to be over priced compared to other states ~ well, all seem to be overpriced. I have an Astro w/roof rack ~ paid $1100 for it. Its ok but I consider it low end ~ Icould be wrong on that as so far its good ~ just heavy. Too heavy for one person to handle but again, me be happy. Edited by: ShumDit

·
Registered
217 Posts
I chose the Leer 100R. So far, I am pretty happy with it. I only have a couple of minor nits to pick with it. First, I chose the removable/sliding front window. It is nice in that you can remove the entire front window assembly to make cleaning the outside of your cab rear window very easy. Works great...however, the latch that is used in the sliding window is kinda cheap, and so the window rattles around a bit on harder bumps. The other was there were a few minor nicks in the paint of the window frames. A little black touch up paint took care of that. Other than that, I am extremely happy.

I ended up paying about $1300.00, and got the carpeting, rear 12V light and removable front window options.

John

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I put a LEER on my 96 half ton, they went the extra mile for me though. I wanted the all glass rear door but it only came with pop out windows. the alum frame rear window model came with the sliding side windows..........upon request LEER put the rear glass door on the model with the sliding side windows to make me happy. Good cusotmer service and it was a great shell......

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm happy with my Leer 100R. I have the opening front window option, which makes cleaning the cab rear window a snap. I also have the carpeted interior, the 12V light and the regular screened, sliding windows. Fits tightly, the paint matches the truck perfectly and I paid a bit over $1,200 for it. No complaints at all. I suppose it doesn't hurt that Leer has a factory about 20 miles from my house so there is minimal handling by the time it gets to the dealer.

TC

·
Registered
540 Posts
I currently have 2 trucks with 2 different models of the ARE caps. The reason for the ARE?? The dealer I bought both my previous caps from dropped both his other lines and only deals ARE now. I had warranty work on my other brand caps. None on the ARE.

I have a Z series cap on my 3500 and think it looks great. Like the framesless window look. Like the fold down front window. Like the quality.

As for the Snug Top??? I've seen their quality for the tops they make for Miatas. C==P

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I'm on my third Snug-Top in as many trucks. I went with the pop-outs on the 03 because they more closely follow the truck's window lines.

Edited by: Trippin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts