Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal. Decided to change my fuel filter after replaceing shocks today and I cannot get the truck to start now. Previously when I would change the filter I never filled it with fuel. I would just prime it until fuel would come out the vent. But after changing it today I could never get any fuel into the fuel filter. It was like the primer button was not working. So I went ahead and filled the filter with fuel and re-installed. I did a couple of pumps on the primer and seen fuel come out, but truck started briefly and died. Now I cannot get it to start at all. When I pump the primer fuel does come out the vent, but still no start.
Any ideas?
Anyone ever took the primer assembly apart?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
You might not have a good seal on your fuel filter. Also, after you close the vent try priming it a couple times and the primer should get hard to press.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the vent closed I can pump the primer fine. I have to be loosing preassure somewhere. I have removed the filter again and it appears the seals are seating fine. Anyone know anything about this priming assembly?

·
Banned
735 Posts
Some people on here had the pump assembly crap out on them and they couldn't prime. I guess a diaphram or seals in the filter head take a dump. Just a thought.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. With the filter off I depressed the button on the bottom of the filter housing and did not get any fuel to come out when pressing primer. So I definetely got a bad primer. I decided to take this apart (only three screws) and there is not much to it (spring, piece of plastic with 2 rubber seals and the button).
Does anyone know what the rubber piece is for that is under the button cover and attached to the housing? Mine appears to be attached but is lifting on one side. Is this supposed to be attached all the way around? Maybe this is my issue.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Heres the deal. Decided to change my fuel filter after replaceing shocks today and I cannot get the truck to start now. Previously when I would change the filter I never filled it with fuel. I would just prime it until fuel would come out the vent. But after changing it today I could never get any fuel into the fuel filter. It was like the primer button was not working. So I went ahead and filled the filter with fuel and re-installed. I did a couple of pumps on the primer and seen fuel come out, but truck started briefly and died. Now I cannot get it to start at all. When I pump the primer fuel does come out the vent, but still no start.
Any ideas?
Anyone ever took the primer assembly apart?

Has happened to me more times than not. ;)

The plunger is probably OK if you are getting fuel at the bleeder port.What has happened is you have a air pocket past the bleeder.Get fuel at the bleeder again,close bleeder then pump the bleeder till semi hard.

It will take a few pumps.

Turn that puppy over and the air pocket will push through the ICU and Cp3.

When the Tech did my filter recall he wanted the bleeder screw as there is none on my truck because I use the port for my fuel sendor.I told him don't sweat it .He said he has had numerous no starts ,don't sweat it,I got your back! :D

She lit right up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. The filter is full of fuel and with the bleeder screw out I can press the pump and fuel will bubble out about every 3 or 4 pumps. Then I can close the screw and pump this thing all day long and it will never stiffen up. It is like the plunger is not working right. Otherwise I would think every time I pushed it, with the screw out, it would bubble fuel out. Right?

Maybe tommorow I'll try the preasurizing of the fuel tank.

Otherwise it looks like I may be taking it to the dealer to get resolved.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
chevydmaxpwr, check out the photo at this link. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rm11234/detail?.dir=2fd4&.dnm=8707.jpg&.src=ph
The black button in the center is a check valve. It must seat flush at all times. There is a another one on the bottom. One is inlet and the other is outlet. They both much open and close on every stroke and work when the engine is running. A little chunk of dirt under either will cause your problem. Later! Frank
PS:I just posted several photos of the filter head/primer in my garage.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you got fuel to the filter and it's full the primer is working.After the filter is tightened and bleeder screw tightened pump it 20 30 40 times till firm!To confirm your not letting air in.

It never gets where you cannot plunge ,at least on mine.

Try and start ,repeat if necessary.You have trapped air

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frank, thanks for the details. I believe this is where my problem lies. I got a closer look at this assembly last night and it was loaded with rust particles. I removed the housing and cleaned it thouroghly. The check valves were a pain to get seated properly after removal, but both seem to sit flat now.
I reinstalled everything and still am not having any luck when trying to get the pump to pressurize with the bleeder screw closed.

If either one of those valves are not seating/leaking, will this ever work right? Or do I need to buy a new filter housing/primer pump assembly?

Does anyone know the part# for the filter housing assembly?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
They both have to open and close on every stroke and when you shut the engine down. I had problems a couple times getting the air out. Once was a real *****. I ended up running a small hose out of the bleeder port into a clear container. It took twice as many strokes to get all the air out. I had the same problem once on a Racor 660. I use a hose every time on them now. I think the little bleeder kit that Greg Landuyt sells is a cure all for this problem. Filling the filter before installing it is bad idea. Later! Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's Fixed!!!!

It's running again!!!! I had to take the filter housing off and disassemble the primer pump again. The inlet check valve was not fully seated in the spring so I was not getting a good seal. I Put the pump back together and verified operation by getting a good suction on my thumb. Reinstalled filter housing with a empty filter and all went as normal. I pumped filter full, tightened screw and added about five more pumps until firm. Truck started right up!

So it appears the initial problem was rust particles caught in the primer assembly and then upon cleaning & reinstall the first time I did not get a good seal on the inlet check valve. Which cause much more heartache!

Now I have one more slight problem. On the last disassembly I broke one of the wires for the water sensor. It broke right at the unit, so no way of soldering it back together.
Anyone know what one of these things cost? How about a part#?
Also, will it trip any codes if I drive it like it is for now?

Thanks to all who helped me in this matter. The pictures were great Frank!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.