Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is wesley i'm new to diesel place. I have a 95 k1500 6.5 TD the truck has had a lot done to it. I've put in a pmd and injectors along with glow plugs just to name some. The truck has been starting hard. It takes about 4 to 5 cranks to get it started. I go out to start the truck at 7 in the moring and at 5 at night. but its about 40 out side. should it start that hard? And i've notice it's really hard to start when the truck is ponting up hill. I think it's something to do with fuel.

thank you for reading

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
Leaking O-rings in the filter manager can cause hard starts after sitting because air gets in the fuel system.

Be sure that the glow plugs are getting power when the wait to start light is on.

And do the lift pump tests to ensure it is working properly:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39350

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
Are you getting lots of white smoke while cranking before it starts, or none at all?

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
So..you mention it only seems to happen when parked in one direction - if you park it nose-down does it start better in the morning?

(Trying to figure out if this is a fuel drainback/leak issue, or a glowplug issue...)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,454 Posts
How about the OPS? mostly problem with LP is actually OPS issue since it controls LP when engine is running.

A lot of discussion on this topic if you search.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
How about the OPS? mostly problem with LP is actually OPS issue since it controls LP when engine is running.

A lot of discussion on this topic if you search.
It would still start with little hesitation though. Tons of 6.5's unknowingly running around with dead LP's and starting/running fine...symptoms only appear when the IP craps the bed, or stumbling/low power under heavy load.

·
6.5TD Post Addict
9,886 Posts
It would still start with little hesitation though. Tons of 6.5's unknowingly running around with dead LP's and starting/running fine...symptoms only appear when the IP craps the bed, or stumbling/low power under heavy load.
If there are any leaks or places for air intrusion in the supply side of the fuel system,the IP is unlikely to create enough suction alone to overcome them.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The odor of the gray/white exhaust is more important than the color. Can you have someone else crank & start so you can get a whiff of the smoke; oil, diesel or maybe both? What is the condition of the air filter? Poor air/fuel ratio can cause the smoke & hard starts, too. ~FH

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,454 Posts
Does not mean to disrespect you but on a 95, it won't even start if OPS part that controls LP is bad.

On OBD-II, it has a prime LP system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok i have done some work.I have checked the glow plugs and they all work. The truck sounds like theres no fuel. so i put a boat's primer bulb in so i could use the check valve and then use the primer. The truck starts the same but when i use the primer it starts a little faster. I've looked to see the timing marks and the IP dose not have a mark. dose that mean its a after market?

Thank you for all the help

·
Just Horsing Around
17,552 Posts
Did you do the lift pump test? It's detailed in the FAQ post stickies.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,454 Posts
You need to do an LP test as Pilot suggested.

Truck needs both GPs which is heat and fuel.
The LP is the one that supply the fuel as you can guess.
As you said, truck does not have fuel.

Let's make sure that the LP is running first and then we can figure out if the IP is bad.
IP is $2000, LP is <$100 and OPS is < $50.

So, changing the IP is way more that LP/OPS.
That is why we suggest that first before going another direction.

Also, as a standard suggestions, check all the electrical connectors, grounds and cables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.