Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leveled my truck with an 3" leveling kit I found on Ebay. The Kit contained new keyways and basically cranking up the TB's. It was installed by 4 Wheel parts and wholesalers. I love the way it leveled it, but man did the ride suffer. I recently read about the shock extensions and have ordered some my questions are as follows.....
I want to upgrade my shocks. My ride just rolled 94,000 and it is about time, so what size will I need with the new extensions?
Stock or would I go with 3-4 inch increased height and how much will this help the ride?
What can I do to allow for better fitment of my current size tire? 285-75-16. They do rub at full turn if I hit the slightest bump.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
The ride harshness comes from the increased spring rate required to carry the truck at that height.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
OK preload which is the equivalent of spring rate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
your right theres a little preload.

But you dont preload the bar past the point that it takes to keep the truck at ride height.

At ride height the twist in the bar would be the same as stock.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Here are photos that show you where you have problem when you crank your t-bars. In the pic's you can see that the shock is to short (Fix w/longer shock) then you hit the UCA on the frame stop. At stock you have plenty of drop out going down the road. As you crank you loose down travel and when the truck is rebounding up you hit the frame stop and get a hard feeling. The Cognito leveling UCA gives you 2" more drop out travel to let you crank the t-bars and still maintain factory drop out travel for a factory ride. Also Cognito's UCA has a beter ball joint angle for longer life. You get larger CV angles but if you stay within 1/2-3/4inch space between the frame stop and UCA you will stay in the safe zone for regular use. Drag and Sled trucks should move to a 4" kit to keep factory CV angles for longer CV life.

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

Thanks
Nor-Cal Nick
925-447-7800

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
If you put long shocks on and do not replace the control arm you'll get mechanical contact at the frame. This bracket is a mechanical stop designed to keep the suspension from over extending during service.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
The Rookie;1529282; said:
I leveled my truck with an 3" leveling kit I found on Ebay. The Kit contained new keyways and basically cranking up the TB's. It was installed by 4 Wheel parts and wholesalers. I love the way it leveled it, but man did the ride suffer. I recently read about the shock extensions and have ordered some my questions are as follows.....
I want to upgrade my shocks. My ride just rolled 94,000 and it is about time, so what size will I need with the new extensions?
Stock or would I go with 3-4 inch increased height and how much will this help the ride?
What can I do to allow for better fitment of my current size tire? 285-75-16. They do rub at full turn if I hit the slightest bump.
I see you live in Houston. Shoot me a PM and I will get you squared away. You have the right setup, you just need to do some tweaking to it. I will fill ya in on the details..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.