Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the story that I need your help with. My son works for a company that reclaims freon from Freezers,refrigators & A/C units. He is using MY 2002 CHEVY 2500 C/C D/A to haul the units to the scrap yard after they are emptied. This is the job that I normally do in my spare time. We use a 17'trailer with 5' wood sides around it & the trailer & truck go up to 14k with a load. The door on a freezer blew open & he got pulled over by the cops for it. They informed him that he needed::eek:
1. A commerical chauffeur license to drive this unit around.
2. He needed signs on the side of the truck for hauling scrap.
3. The trailer electric brake wasn't hooked up & that had to be fixed.
He ended up with 3 tickets 3 ($250each) = $750.:eek: What course of action should he/we take as far as the signs are concerned. Do I have to get a chauffeur's license to continue this? -:t The brakes were plugged in afterwards & they work. Thanks for your answers in advance!! Howard in Michigan.

·
Registered
382 Posts
no.
cdl only if you're pulling a trailer with a gvwr of 10k lbs or more, or driving a vehicle with a gvw of 26k lbs or more.
the cops in my opinion, are wrong and they are blowin smoke!

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
1. He shouldn't need a chauffeur's license because he's not a commercial hauler, BUT............

2. Since he IS hauling the scrap for his company and it's not for his personal use, he may be considered commercial by the law. Now you get into MPSC regs on signage and licensing. So...theres that to think about.

A chauffeur's license is what I have to drive for UPS. BigD has the CDL requirements correct.

3. That should be just a fix-it ticket in the end.

Sorry....that's my take on it. I sure hope I'm wrong. Best bet is to plead to the prosecuter in the case....maybe work something out. Good luck to you, Howard.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
This is the story that I need your help with. My son works for a company that reclaims freon from Freezers,refrigators & A/C units. He is using MY 2002 CHEVY 2500 C/C D/A to haul the units to the scrap yard after they are emptied. This is the job that I normally do in my spare time. We use a 17'trailer with 5' wood sides around it & the trailer & truck go up to 14k with a load. The door on a freezer blew open & he got pulled over by the cops for it. They informed him that he needed::eek:
1. A commerical chauffeur license to drive this unit around.
2. He needed signs on the side of the truck for hauling scrap.
3. The trailer electric brake wasn't hooked up & that had to be fixed.
He ended up with 3 tickets 3 ($250each) = $750.:eek: What course of action should he/we take as far as the signs are concerned. Do I have to get a chauffeur's license to continue this? -:t The brakes were plugged in afterwards & they work. Thanks for your answers in advance!! Howard in Michigan.
1. A chauffeur license IS required in Michigan if you deliver goods as part of your job. This is required even if you are delivering Pizzas or prescriptions for a drug store or newspapers for a living. As long as you are delivering something, you need the chauffeur's license. Most municipalities don't enforce this for students delivering pizzas but they can if they want to. Also, if you drive your own vehicle for work (pizza deliveries included), you better tell your insurance company, because if you have an accident, they CAN and very likely WILL deny any coverage if the accident happens while you are working. A Class-A CDL is required if your gross combined vehicle weight exceeds 26,000 lbs.

2. Need Signs for hauling scrap - I believe the cop is correct on this one also.

3. No Trailer brakes - You might be able to get this ticket thrown out or reduced if you can prove that you fixed the problem. I would go back to the Police Station with the fixed trailer brakes and ask if they can throw it out or reduce the fine. It's worth a try anyways.

If you have a clean driving record you might be able to plead for leniency from the magistrate or prosecutor on all three counts.

A lot of municipalities are hurting for money and are now beginning to enforce laws that were ignored in the past. Your best defense is to get in touch with the Michigan Bureau of Automotive Regulations (BAR) at 517-322-1460 and ask what are the requirements and regulations for the type of business you want to conduct with your motor vehicle.

Good Luck Howard!

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Ray, thanks for the explanation on Chauffer's license requirements. I tried finding that and could not. Interesting info about vehicle insurance, too. Thanks.

BTW Howard, a chauffer's license is just a different test. It doesn't cost a lot to get one, like a CDL does.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
382 Posts
Howard, go to your local Secretary of State and get a CDL book, there are free. This will tell you exactely what is lawfully and not regarding towing or hauling.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
RayMich is right on the money on this one.

It sounds like he got popped by one of the motor carrier enforcement units.
How far from home was he Howard ?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Another thing to think about is since your son was in the employ of his company at the time, they should help pay the fines.
IMO, the company really should have known the regs or informed your son to check into the regs before starting the scrap transport in the first place.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Howard, best of luck in getting this straightened out.

I've found a couple links for you. It looks like you will need at least a Chauffeur License to legally haul this trailer around, because of the commercial ($$$) nature of the operation. There really are only two different categories that an operation can fall into,: recreational and commercial, so I think its pretty clear if you are receiving any form of compensation , it would be considered commercial.
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1627_8666_9064-25395--,00.html

Your also gonna need a DOT Medical card which usually runs about $40 and is good for two years. Call around or ask your own physician for a doctor to perform this physical.

The cop didn't mention it, but it wouldnt hurt to run a logbook while running the trailer. If you remain in Michigan or within 100 miles of your home base, then a logbook is not needed.

The Name and Numbers on the side of the truck should be acquired by the company (they may already have it). If not you can apply for a USDOT number here. You need to display the company or owner name, home base city and the usdot number on both sides of the truck. On the app in section 23, check Private Property.
http://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/public/MCS-150.pdf

Also if you have electric brakes, make sure you have the backup battery with the breakaway system hooked and working.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/deadon/vii_9-1.html

Edit: Check the above for more info....

·
Registered
123 Posts
That stinks Howard. Its stupid to give you all those fines though. Especially for not having a name or one of those licenses. However brakes are crucial IMO. You should also get a break away and backup battery along with a good brake controller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts