Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, all of my paper work is final besides signing. Ive had a couple of people tell me that the LBZ is not as powerful as the older LLY & LB7:help2: . I drove a truck exactly like this one. The reason i aint drove this one is b/c my dealer is getting it from another one. Before i spend 38000, I need to know if the LLY has more power than this truck. I know alot of yall have owned all 3, i need real word opion's....:help: :help:
I currently have the 8100 Big block...

The im "purchasing" is a 2006 Chevy X-cab 4x4 SB LBZ/Allison 6 Speed LT3 Silver Birch Met.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ok guys, all of my paper work is final besides signing. Ive had a couple of people tell me that the LBZ is not as powerful as the older LLY & LB7:help2: . I drove a truck exactly like this one. The reason i aint drove this one is b/c my dealer is getting it from another one. Before i spend 38000, I need to know if the LLY has more power than this truck. I know alot of yall have owned all 3, i need real word opion's....:help: :help:

The im "purchasing" is a 2006 Chevy X-cab 4x4 SB LBZ/Allison 6 Speed LT3 Silver Birch Met.
I had an '05 LLY and I now have an '06 LBZ. The LBZ is head & shoulders above the LLY, it flat kicks a--! It has 50 more HP and 40 foot pounds more torque than the LLY. And it gets better MPG!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I've driven stock LLY's and a LBZ. The LBZ will rape the early Dmaxes pretty easy.

With mods though, all bets are off. There are very limited mods for the 06 LLY and 06 LBZ so far.

·
Registered
265 Posts
These LBZ's are running in the mid 15's in the 1/4 stock. LLY's and LBZ's certainly can't to that. ;)
Well...that certainly makes a lot of sense!:eek: :joke:

Rick

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've owned all 3. LBZ is way ahead of LB7 & LLY in stock configurations in power, torque, quietness, and mpg if you keep it under 70. Over 70, they all suck literally way to much fuel. My LBZ beats the other hands down. All have given me great service with no problems other than one set of injectors on the LB7. AND I DRIVE THEM HARD!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Let's put it this way, I've been drooling and sniffing around the Duramax for a long, long time. Lots of my friends have had them, run them hard and bought new ones.

I've driven lots of friends' Duramax trucks; literally every generation.

When I drove the 2006+ Duramax LBZ/Allison 1000, I freaking BOUGHT ONE.

I'm serious about money; I worked by butt off and retired 14 years ago, at age 48. Yes, I paid cash. And yes, that is about as serious as I can get. It is a fabulous truck, it is worth the money and I stepped-up.

Yup, they got it right in the LBZ; you don't have to chip it or mess with anything, it is wonderfully-powerful bone stock. I care not if the 2007 are pretty, more powerful or come with an on-board hooker.....this is MY TRUCK and it is all I want or need.

By the way, I have a friend, Steve (yes, our wives get confused) and he bought a new 2006 LLY in October of last year. Steve lusts after my LBZ truck. He has driven it and the difference is remarkable. Same year, forty more HP, lots more torque, one more gear AND manual over-ride (and I paid less for more goodies, which really pisses him off). Yes, you can REALLY feel the difference, a GOOD difference.

Go buy yourself the truck of your dreams, my friend.....the LBZ.

Post photos, lots of photos. That way, we can GRIN right along with you.

Steve

PS: Here is my new baby. I love this truck!!!!!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Very nice truck man. I like it and the color is pretty cool..

I think that you would be happy with the LBZ. I like my LB7 very much and when the new body style comes out for the GMC I will consider trading then.. But only then..

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick reply's. You guys have made up my mind. Ive always wanted a duramax, looks like the time has come. I will go ahead with the deal monday as long as the truck hes got me is what he told me it was. I'm not sure if i can wait all weekend:lol: . Im sure i will love it..btw. ive done got the tires to go on it...:D
next will be a chip and Intake...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think they would charge anything for you to sleep in it. Just think of the COOL "new truck" smell in the morning.

Good for you, 8100 Power; we are all very proud of you. And we all wish you a long, happy, wonderful Duramax experience.

Believe it or not, I still have to visit mine every night, just before I go to bed. It's "only" a truck, but it still seems like a dream.

Proud of you, Man,

Steve

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
New Bully Dog chip is not quite what the truck needs. Not enough smoke. Truck has the power no doubt. Older trucks have more power add-ons. If your going to max it out, I might hold off.

Trans is good for pulling not so good for street IMO. Not enough RPM band to make full use of it. Defuels to much on shifts. No head snapping shifts.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yep, i cant wait to get it. I dont plan on maxing it out or chippin it real soon. Im going to make sure the truck is mechanically good and im going to probably chip it around 10,000 miles or so. Im not going with bullydog, im just going to wait and see what comes out on the market. Im pretty set on the AFE Stage 2 intake b/c people say that is the best intake to increase turbo wistle. What you guys think?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Let's put it this way, I've been drooling and sniffing around the Duramax for a long, long time. Lots of my friends have had them, run them hard and bought new ones.

I've driven lots of friends' Duramax trucks; literally every generation.

When I drove the 2006+ Duramax LBZ/Allison 1000, I freaking BOUGHT ONE.

I'm serious about money; I worked by butt off and retired 14 years ago, at age 48. Yes, I paid cash. And yes, that is about as serious as I can get. It is a fabulous truck, it is worth the money and I stepped-up.

Yup, they got it right in the LBZ; you don't have to chip it or mess with anything, it is wonderfully-powerful bone stock. I care not if the 2007 are pretty, more powerful or come with an on-board hooker.....this is MY TRUCK and it is all I want or need.

By the way, I have a friend, Steve (yes, our wives get confused) and he bought a new 2006 LLY in October of last year. Steve lusts after my LBZ truck. He has driven it and the difference is remarkable. Same year, forty more HP, lots more torque, one more gear AND manual over-ride (and I paid less for more goodies, which really pisses him off). Yes, you can REALLY feel the difference, a GOOD difference.

Go buy yourself the truck of your dreams, my friend.....the LBZ.

Post photos, lots of photos. That way, we can GRIN right along with you.

Steve

PS: Here is my new baby. I love this truck!!!!!
Your friend did not get a 2006 LLY if it does not have the 6 speed Allison. All 2006 have the same Allison.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your friend did not get a 2006 LLY if it does not have the 6 speed Allison. All 2006 have the same Allison.
SD-455,

I'll bet that you are one-hundred percent correct. He got it slightly after the model-year change, but I'll bet that he saved a couple thousand and got a last-ditch 2005. Sounds like something that I would do.

He is really bummed about my rig's sixth gear.....so it is definite that he has NO sixth gear.

Interestingly, he has been saying for years, "Steve, this wonderful transmission needs just one more top-end gear; then, it would be perfect." Well, my friend Steve bot his wish, but he didn't get the truck.

Steve travels a lot in his job. Mostly cross-country stuff and he commonly puts 100K on a Duramax, sells it and buys another Duramax. His current one is, I think, his third or, possibly fourth.

He just runs them bone stock and has never had a single issue. Just fuel, oil and filters. That is a great testiment to the reliability of the Duramax.

I'm sure that you are right.

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have had all three.The lbz far surpasses the prior. I just towed our 14k fifth for the first time yesterday. No comparison, not even close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts