Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little direction here please. I have DTC 35, 36 84, 99, and now 29. The truck will not start and if it does it usually will not until the SES light extinguishes. The starter is good, cranks hard, batties are 12 v each. I have fuel to the drain valve, I pulled the fuel line off at the injector and barely had a drip when cranking. I still need to run down some of the wiring but it is too damn cold out right now. Any advise???

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Go thru the Diagnostics checklist in Reference and FAQ's section - gives you more info to go on

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
From your codes we know you are a OBD-I truck but not much else. Take a minute to update your signature for "The Rest of the Story"

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Seems inane suggesting the checklist if your truck won't start, but you did indicate it will start occasionally - go thru the checklist when it is running

Other than that, the codes indicate power, ground, wiring, fuses, switch, FSD\PMD, and Inj Pump failure - go thru the list, starting with the least expensive.

When you've eliminated every thing that works, what's left will not work = bad\equiv

29 is glow plug relay, so follow the orange wires from the control\relay back to the power block, see if the fusible link is burned, or the fuse in the power center

Verify the two power posts on the controller are not loose, and the wires are not loose

Check the glow plug fuse in the inst panel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I updated my signature this morning didn't take apparently.

I am leaning towards a wiring issue, I unplugged the batteries to make sure they were clean and to clear the codes. They were back immediately, with out even cranking the engine. I will try to run down soe of the systems this weekend after the cold snaps a little

Thanks

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Thanks for the update, one more piece 8th letter of VIN S or F.

You might also want to add some other stuff from RPO list in the glove box, see the FAQ list to decipher the code list.

Do a search in this forum area; lately there have been some glow plug threads, plus a post in the FAQs to give some info on glow plug/relay troubleshooting.

Cold weather brings out the worst in wiring issues as GMCTD is indicating full volts from batts and clean wiring connections are imperatives for this truck, the PCM & auxillary sub-systems want/need full voltage so the truck can start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated Sig fully. A warning should be issued for the RPO codes, "Copying May Cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome".

We are wroking on the Suburban by the way. I know someone will ask.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Ah Ha a frybird kit in operation (important info Thanks for sharing that), you grease guys really start having problems in the winter, I'd go through the glow system to make sure all of them are glowing strong and relay is outputting, are you doing the start and shutdown purge on Nr 2 Diesel, least amount of grease/veggie will not atomize properly for starting, worsened by weak glows. Is your fuel solenoid driver remote mounted or still on the IP

FWIW a battery load cell IMO is mandantory part of a 6.5ers diagnostic tool kit, they are cheap, and since so much is depending on correct voltage for these computer controlled trucks, load cell is best way to KNOW a battery is capable of pulling cranking load, glow load, and still keep the PCM at it's minimum working voltage during crank/glow cycle. Typical voltage meter won't tell load carry capability.

BTW how are you heating your veggie fuel 12v or engine coolant, if veggie heater is 12v & on while cranking there is another big voltage draw for Ya to consider. If it is really cold the 12V GM fuel manager heater is also coming on @ 46F so another chink in power supply armor to consider acting on marginal batterys/wiring connections, are you day time run lights on while trying to start, if so put on the parking brake to turn them off while cranking/starting another forgotten load draw during start

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Actually I haven't been using the veg for the last month so I don't think that is the issue. If it was in operation, the heat is all coolant so no draw there. I will keep you posted after the weekend. It is supposed to get about 32 so I will get out and do some diggin.

The FMD is still pump mounted,I do have a spare that I am going to give a try. The batteries (although still could be bad) are only a year old as well as the starter(new AC Delco) and glow plugs (60g).
Thanks

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
FYI if you find that batts are the cause always replace batts in pairs from same or near same mfg date, bad battery will kill a good one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, 1 battery was bad. Got it replaced under warranty the other I got replaced by arguing. I did get it to start but still have 35 and 36. Here is the weird thing, when i put the batteries in I immediately have the codes. I don't have to crank or start the burb and they are there. I plugged in the spare FSD and the same codes. Does this sound like a wiring issue or a pump issue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts