Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my 1996 4wd sub left my wife on the side of the road this morning with all of the kids!!! The check engine light is on the ABS light is on and the car was in drive then it acted like it went into neutral and left her on the side of the road. When I picked up the car both of the lights were on and the speedometer was not working while I was driving it, But I was able to limp it home and turn the keys over to my wife of ol trusty (1984 sub 6.2 4wd). If anybody has had a similar problem can you please help? FYI I just started the car and the abs light is now out!!!
Thanks Faor any help

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I found the culprit. One of the positve wire was little loose and there was black oxidization inside the terminal as well. I cleaned everything up. and used dieelectric grease.
Have a great day everybody!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
WOW, I am finding it amazing how that lil stinking battery cable can cause so many different issues with these trucks. Both of my batteries have top post mounts also. I am thinking it would be wise to build a good heavy set of wires for the top posts to replace those lousy side post oem units. Not really looking for a response just openly voicing my opinion. But even with all these lil gremlins, I am definately bitten by the diesel bug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove the Burb for awhile yesterday, and everything was great. Then I went to start it today drove it 200 yards and the abs light came back on!! And the starting circuit on the 84 6.2 burb shorted out so Now I have two broken down burbs in the front yard!!! Man am I fit to be tied. I hate to say this guys but I dont think that my burbs will be with my family much longer. Both vehicles have left my family stranded on the side of the road. And both vehicles are regulary maintained. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys I replaced both of the input and the output speed sensors today and they were both pretty easy to install. The front one on a 4x4 is on the drivers side and it uses a simple bracket with a o ring to attach it to the transmisssion. The aft sensor is on the transfer case and on my 1996 it is a threaded sensor. On Napas computer they said that both sensors were supposed to be the push in bolt down type (like the front one, and I beleive that they may be right on a 2wd 4l80e), but on a 4x4 the aft sensor is threaded and on the Transfer case, aft output drive line hub. FYI The non threaded foward sensor napa Part Number is, TSS203, $26.88. It takes about 5-8 Minutes to change and all that is needed is a 1/4" drive, 8mm socket and a extension. The aft sensor part number is (Napa) VSS224 and costs $94.55. I used a cresent wrench to change it and it only takes 2-3 minutes to change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts