Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dad died in November, was in the process of replacing the IP on his pickup; 95 2500 4x4 reg cab. He's got the intake off, revealing the old pump, but nothing's disconnected from the pump yet. There's a new/rebuilt stanadyne IP in a bag on the floorboard, extra PMDs, and all of the associated hardware. Is there anyone here in the Front Royal Winchester area who knows a good honest diesel shop that can put this back together for me? It stinks for me, cause I live so far away, I could probably do the R&R, and just bring it to get the timing set, since I don't have a tech 2, or the appropriate scanner.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I'll be in VA at the end of the week, taking care of business. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad . I lost my Dad 9 years ago & He,s still in my heart like it was yesterday.
Good luck with the pump. Would just mention that much of the time it is the pmd rather than pump itself.
I just mention that, as it should be easy with intake off to swap inone of the new pmds to see if that corrects the problem.
Stand to be corrected, but believe if your real careful you can start engine without intake on.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're probably right, but I don't want to get any deeper for fear of screwing anything up...the worst thing about losing Dad is all the unanswered questions...."Hey Dad, what's wrong with the truck?" is one I'd like to have answered! I appreciate your kind words. It's tough without him.....

·
Registered
459 Posts
You're probably right, but I don't want to get any deeper for fear of screwing anything up...the worst thing about losing Dad is all the unanswered questions...."Hey Dad, what's wrong with the truck?" is one I'd like to have answered! I appreciate your kind words. It's tough without him.....
Looks like you made the right choice with the Dmax, the ol' 6.5 got to your dad! I've said many times this 6.5 will be the death of me! Perhaps I should refrase:)

Please take this the way I intended, by putting a smile on your face in a time of mourning

I feel for your loss my friend.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I's probably my fault, the 6.5 used to be my truck, it didn't owe me anything, let alone Dad. It would be handy to have it running! I did grin when I read your post, especially when you had to backtrack a little!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,188 Posts
Its easy to change the pumps on those engines,but really there's nothing to it.Just be sure to stuff some pieces of paper towel down in the intake ports to prevent anything from getting in there.Everything else is a piece of cake.

Let us know if you want any help with that.We can walk you through it.

Sorry to hear about your father.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,188 Posts
You can still install the injection pump having the tall round shutoff solenoid centered which will get the timing in the ballpark until you can get it timed with a tech 2.

If you do a search here on this forum,or try the 6.5 FAQ thread it'll describe in detail how the timing is done and what to look for.I would still attempt to change the pump yourself and put it back together.After everything is assembled you can then have it timed with the tech 2.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe you're right, my problem is that I won't have my tools, I don't have much time, and I'm not sure if something else isn't wrong. Just because the new IP is sitting in the floorboard dosen't convince me that it's the only piece of the puzzle that needs replacing, ya know? If it was at my house, we wouldn't be having this dialogue. It goes against my "religion" to have some one else do the work, but I'm sorta left with no other choice. Unless someone is willing to cut/split/stack 3 cords of firewood, trailer home 12 rolls of horse hay, and console my mother, while I do the IP job!! Oh, and have it all done in 3 days. No pressure!;)

2,424 Posts
Unanswered questions
So Iam sitting at my grnd fathers funeral talking with my father about 1 of my grand fathers old trucks. He was telling me what a pain this trucks engine was. Something about the spark plugs being near the intake. At that time I was think how I would just my grand father what age and type of engine that was next time I see him. Well it didnt take long before I could see how that wouldnt work real quick.

There members here from all over. But have you thought about towing it home. Your d max wont even feel it back there.

And sorry about your loss.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, exactly - there have been several times when I thought, well ****, I'll just ask about Dad this, or I'll tell him about what my two year old daughter said at the dinner table last night...it takes a second or two for the synapse to fire, and then you feel crappy all over again. My Grandfather (Dad's Dad) died two years ago, and I had to get out of the habit of trying to get an answer from him regarding things he and I would talk about.
I'm doing my best to keep from trailering the truck from VA to NY. I've got to get my GTO up here first, and get to work on that, or sell it, one of the two. (In case anyone reading this is interested, it's a 1971 400 auto hardtop.) I'd rather pay to get ithe truck fixed professionally down there. Mom sure could use the truck for running "truck only" errands, like hay, feed, firewood, etc. Hoping that someone local will see this thread and respond. Thanks for your sympathy/empathy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I can recommend some folks in Richmond, VA if you are willing to have it towed that far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sorry for your loss !!

Hey Dude Sory About Your Dad !! If I Were You I Would Get A Remote Pmd Cooler And And A Extension Harness And Try That Before Changing The Pump I Have 2 Of These Trucks And Have Went Thru A Couple Of Pmds But No Pumps And My Trucks Have Some Miles On Them A Few Minutes My Save You A Day Or More Good Luck!!! God Bless

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Do you have any other family ( brothers, uncles, cousins etc) that live close enough so they could take care of getting the truck fixed? Perhaps you could talk to some of his friends & they could suggest a good local mechanic. When you find one I would get the pmd relocated if it isn't already so your mother doesn't have more problems down the road.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very sorry for your loss.

My own father died suddenly three years ago next week and my father-in-law with a bit more warning a year ago next month.

I used to call each on to get another take or advice whenever I was stuck with something. For the longest time I could not shake the feeling that I could just pick up the phone and ask them. Hard to face it and realize that it is no longer possible.

It fades over time... Both still greatly missed.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,827 Posts
Sorry about your lost. Your dad is in a better place.

This is just an idea, may be the one that gives you trouble is just the PMD?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I was thinking the same thing (post # 3) Would be fairly simple to swap new one in with intake off to try it & see if that was the problem.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can recommend some folks in Richmond, VA if you are willing to have it towed that far.
Richmond is pretty far, the towing bill would be more than the repair. Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts