Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GMC K3500 4X4 when the outside temp gets around 40F or below the engine stalls. Once it starts stalling it continues to stall. I have replaced the supply pump and fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Gelling diesel fuel - summer diesel in the tank ? Try some additives.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried additives but it doesn't help. This seems to be the opposite of most post where the engine quits when it gets warm this one quits when the weather gets cold. It will start fine but then just stalls sometimes it has to be restarted multiple time be for it will stay running

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fuel Tank Cap

Have you checked the fuel tank cap? You mention the temperature change causes the stalling, and given the other things changed, it makes me think about changes in temp. and changes in pressure...which leads me to the fuel tank cap.

An idea.

·
Registered
935 Posts
40º is a bit too warm for gelling. X2 on the fuel cap not venting. Could be forming a vacuum in the tank. Try it with the fuel cap off. If that works, get a diesel specific cap. I'm using a Harley Sportster cap that I drilled some holes in. It breathes real good both ways. I don't even tighten it down all the way either. Just get it started on the threads and close the lid.
Ted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you the cap may be it when I take the cap off it makes an air sound didn't pay any attention if it was a sucking sound or pressure release sound. Is there plumbing and a charcoal canister like a gas model that may be plugged.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It isn't the fuel cap.

X2 on checking the OPS.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The oil pressure gauge shows 40+ PSI when it stalls. Are the OPS and the oil pressure sending unit two separate things.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The oil pressure gauge shows 40+ PSI when it stalls. Are the OPS and the oil pressure sending unit two separate things.
they are the same thing... but 2 parts....1 part oil sending unit....1 part proving switch for LP...

·
Premium Member
5,969 Posts
I bypassed mine. Hardwired the LP to the key. Much better IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts