Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in SO. CA. near the recent fires and in a high wind area. My A/C and ventilation system is blowing dirt and ashes in my eyes, face, clothes and all over the interior of my truck. My daughter has also had debris blown in her eyes from the rear vents.

I called several Chevy dealers and explained the problem to them. I also told them that it blows dust even when on recirculate. They all said it's common due to no more filter in the cab since 02 and the fact that 15% of the air is fresh on recirculate. The dealer told me to call Chevy Customer Service at 800-222-1020.

I spoke with a Rep., explained the problem and he called back and said that there's nothing that can be done, due to the fact that there is no filter in the cab. I explained that this could be a safety issue since if dirt blows in your eyes it could cause an accident.

The Rep. said nothing could be done and this problem would be reviewed. He assigned a case number. I told him to make a note that if I was a cause of an accident, due to the fact that dirt and debris blown in my eyes I would hold Chevy responsible. He told me that he wrote that down.

I need everyone who has experienced this problem to call Chevy and see if we can get this problem fixed! Maybe they could add some kind of filter after the fact. What was GM thinking?

Please call 800-222-1020 and voice your concern.

Thanks,

Chris

04 Crew Cab LT D/A

Edited by: dslbrnr

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You do know that this is the same with almost all vehicles? Not many have filters. Other then the 99-02 chevys I don't know of any that do use a filter.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
IIRC you can hack into the duct and put the filters in. i think someone said something about that before.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that my Truck is parked outside and when the wind blows it seems to find it's way into the vents. If you ever park your truck in a dusty windy area you will find out what kind of problem I am taliking about.

I don't think we should have to pay $40,000 plus dollars to have dirt blown in our face.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Toyotas have dust & pollen filters in a number of their newer vehicles that filter out debris from the outside.You would think for $40K chevy would install a similar system ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could probably put some kind of fine wire mesh to filter the air before it gets inside the truck if you can find it with holes that small. I guess you could use that washable filter material too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe you could try blowing compressed air into the ventalation system?Or opening all the doors and blowing compressed air in the cowl area below the wipers.I do not think GM should be held responsible for natural disasters such as the fires we just had.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact of the matter is not only ashes from a fire 4 months ago are entering my ventilation system, it's dirt. I am not holding GM responsible for natural disasters, merely a very poor design. My truck is parked outside in the weather. I guess GM should have posted a note, reading " when you buy this truck please park it in the garage so dust/dirt and or ashes won't enter the air system". The debris also enter while driving in a dusty area, such as a dirt road.

Maybe if you had an eyeful of dirt, you might understand where I'm comming from.

A filter system that was on the earlier trucks would have eliminated this new problem. I guess it's probably a matter of money for GM.

Maybe I should just where a dust mask and gogles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dust Mask and Goggles.

The only thing I could think of is removing 2 tabs which hold the recirculation door open about 1/4 inch so there is allways some fresh air entering vehicle.You can access these tabs if you remove the blower motor and reach straight up towards the cowl.With alittle time and effort these tabs could be cut down so the door would close all the way.

I have actually made these tabs bigger for a few customers because of a whistle complaint coming from A/C system driving in a headwind.

Because of the winds from the East lately we have gotton the ash blown back into all of our faces.This has happened atleast 3 times after the fires.

Has anybody installed HEPA filters in a vehicle that does not come with them?I have not,But I would think it could be done.

Everything comes down to money with GM.I still want my Homelink,Sunvisors with lighted mirrors,Underhood light,and Glove box light.But I am not holding my breath.

I will take a look at putting HEPA filters in my truck,See if it can be done.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Heathen, I will look in to the tabs inside the blower motor. One of the problems is my daughter has Asthma and the dust and pollen really bothers her. I would greatly appreciate a fix for the filter system though and would gladly pay to have it installed, but think GM should offer the fix!

The only problem I can see with removing the tabs is when you do return to fresh air, the dust would enter at that time. That is if there was wind and dust blowing,which had collected in the cowling area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I removed the trim panel to access where the Hepa filters would be.The case is molded the same as one with Hepa filters.But there is no cover to remove.I am going to have to cut a hole in the case and then make a door to cover the hole.I did not have the time or the balls to cut it yesterday.But I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Heathen, you may have to patent your idea if it works. I'm sure there will be alot of interest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I work at Delphi where these HVAC units are produced. I used to work in production and have assembled several of the HEPA units. It seems that we used to do alot more Cadillac units and they all had filtration. Once we lost those contracts the non-caddy units worked away from filters. I'm sure this was a decision by GM to save on costs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That figures.

I wish we could order those units from delphi and if so how hard to install?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not currently working in the HVAC area at Delphi. The filters(2) fit side-by-side in an Air intake assembly that was attached later to the HVAC unit. I'm not sure if the old AI would fit up to the GMT800 unit or not. I'll try to ask around in the next few days. If it is possible then the parts could be ordered most likely through GM. The worst part would be having to take the dash apart to access the unit. Otherwise it's about four screws and an actuator that snaps on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Maynard, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Maynard - I would love to have you post info so we could install the filtering system ourselves... I am ordering a new 04 CC and expect to get it next month.

Do you have any diagrams or other info that could help those of us who want clean air?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have not had time to cut case.Was going to do today but RAIN!!I have bought the HEPA's.Just need time to put them in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I won't have a chance to get to the wind tunnel/model shop for another week. This will be the best chance of finding out if there is an easy solution to retrofitting the HEPA filters. There are a few people there that have the job of making differant units work in differant cars. They do this to try to line up new customers. I think they will be the best shot. Sorry that it will take so long but I will post any info I can get.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts