Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I'll be going to Nebraska in my truck in two weeks. I have never been around weather that cold, which means my truck hasn't either. Does anyone have some advise for my trusty steed. Thanks.

Respectfully
dane

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
You might also want to use a diesel additive that will help prevent gelling when it gets really cold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like BudTX said above, especially if you are coming from a warmer area that don't have blended fuel or additives already in the fuel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did your truck come with a winter grill cover? If not you could put a small piece of cardboard right behind the grill to block some of the air, and aid in warming the truck temp.

Otherwise like already stated, add fuel additive, plug in before starting, and let it warm up for a while.

It's always a good idea to change your fuel filter if it hasn't been done in a while, and I always carry a spare as you never know when you are going to get a bad batch of fuel.

hope this helps
Aaron

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help all,

I'm coming from D/FW area. I have the cover, just have to figure out how to put it on, shouldn't be too tough. I've been running FPPF since I bought the truck, figure I may bump up the treatment if it gets real cold. I don't know at what temps the fuel will start gelling, and I don't know at what OAT the cover goes on. I use the Nicktane pre-filter, and it's good to go, I got extras. Need to get a spare OEM fuel filter I guess.

I'll check the thread given.

Really appreciate the help, thanks

Dane

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. My LLY gets the winterfronts (bumper bra and grill cover) on at 20 degrees or colder. I use Stanadyne additive and run #2 fuel. When it was -44 F last week, I doubled the strength to get the pour point down to -50. I Plug in for 4 hours and let it warm up well. If you change the fuel filter before your go, you won't need a spare, or have to change out when you are in the cold. Make certain your spare is good and aired up. Check your tires' pressures and if the roads are icy, you may want to reduce the pressure by 10 lbs or so to get more surface area for traction. The winterfronts will keep the cab toasty by keeping the engine temps around 190 to 205 degrees. The bigest concern is the fuel. If you freeze up, your day gets really miserable really fast. Any additive that lowers the pour point will work fine until you get back to the warmer climes of DFW. Drive safe!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the cover so much in warmer temps (i've kept mine on up to about 50*F without troubles.. The cooling system is capable enough to handle that, if you're pulling something you may want to think otherwise at a temp that high thouhg, otherwise its very valuable.. Like said keeps the cab warm and probably helps the fuel mileage when the truck actually gets up to a decent temp!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.