Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 Ford F250 Superduty 7.3ltr powerstroke. It has a gauge pillar pod w/ boost gauge, pyrometer and trans temp. And an aftermarket exhaust. I figure it has a chip or programer but how can I confirm that. I want to buy one or the other if not. What chips do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
look on the ECU by the park brake. You might see a chip plugged in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I removed the two rearward 7mm screws on the black plastic case holding the ecu. I could not get the ecu out but I removed the black plastic cover. On the rearward facing edge of the aluminum ecu case there is a square hole where you can visible see the circuit board. There is a visible connector area on this board but I do not see anything attached to the ecu itself. There was no cover or tape over the rear slot in the ecu so I believe the customer must have removed the chip since he bought another powerstroke.

BUT.....If the previous customer has used a programer such as a hypertech would it be bad news to install a chip. I am trying to get the previous owner's contact information from the dealership....wish me luck on that one. Edited by: BozoWise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got ahold of the previous owner and he did have a chip installed, but removed it when he sold the truck.

Does anyone have any input on chips or programmer. I am leaning toward a Superchips programmer as the last 2 vehicles I've had got Hypertech programing and I was not to impressed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PM Me.....

I want to ask you a question regarding the ECM you inspected..... Chips are cooler than programmers if you ask me. The Chips can be programmed to give you what you want when you want. The 4-Bank type are the way to go... program up to 3 programs and stock and install a switch to change power setting on the fly without stopping the truck to reprogram.

Just my 2 cents..........

·
Registered
290 Posts
Forget the Programmers and go with a Chip a 3 Position or 4 Position is the way to go...

·
Vendor
82 Posts
wideopen said:
Forget the Programmers and go with a Chip a 3 Position or 4 Position is the way to go...

Agreed, if the PCM has already been cleaned to accept a chip, by all means install one. We've got 1,2,3 and 4 position chips available. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll get you all set up.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I had a 2001 with "all the goodies" installed @ 18K. I did try the programmers but "all" of them were too HOT. The "flip chip", with a switch, is the way to go. If it's an auto.... do the trans. At a min get a valve, spring set and a new filter while you're under there. FYI, I think the V/B TQ specs are only 10-12 lbs., don't overtorque them.

Burner---------->

1 - 9 of 9 Posts