Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded my 04 cummins in on the 06 D-max. I gotta say I like the ride better on my Ram.

I noticed on the d-max the rear hops a lot on small bumps. Are shocks gonna cure this? Lookin around it appears Bilistiens or Rancho are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just traded my 04 cummins in on the 06 D-max. I gotta say I like the ride better on my Ram.

I noticed on the d-max the rear hops a lot on small bumps. Are shocks gonna cure this? Lookin around it appears Bilistiens or Rancho are the way to go.
The way the DMax's are setup in the rear, it appears some load helps. I'm experimenting with some changes right now. I'll know more in a week or so.

Getting rid of the E-rated tires was a step in the right direction. I'm running 285's (D-rated) now and it's improved some. Cranking up the tbars has made the front ride a little better also.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I am surprised that you find an IFS truck to ride rougher than a SFA.

My brother had a Dodge, and it rode very stiffly. He finally did just the opposite of what you did and traded it in on a Duramax.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keep me posted sixpak. I tow a heavy 5ver so I got to be careful about d rated tires.

I had an 03 ram 2500 hemi that would do the same thing. I put on Rancho 9000 and it helped a lot. That is why I was thinking it would cure my problem as well.

I took it on a good distant drive at highway speeds, and yes it is good!! The intown slow speed is were it is at. It almost feels like you hit 1 bump 3 times.

·
Registered
401 Posts
stock shocks suck --s

·
Registered
148 Posts
Air Pressure

When I'm not towing my travel trailer, I keep my OEM 245 load range E Bridgestones at 50 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. That helps the ride a lot. The rear tires wear more evenly also.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Drop rear tire pressure down to ~50psi when not loaded (fronts to ~55PSI work well). I changed to Bilstiens on the new truck and was kicking myself for not doing it to my 03.

Welcome to the DMAX world. Glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put bilsteins front and rear and changed to 265/75/16 D rated Bridgestone AT tires on my '02 crew cab D/A. The combo made a big difference in ride quality. The truck is much smoother now. The load rating on the stock E rated tires was 3042lb. The 265 D's are rated at 3000lb. I figured I could live with a 42lb difference for a much improved ride. My $.02...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Summit, and they are telling me the truck should have bilsteins on it already. I left a message with kennedy diesel as well.

what are the stock shocks?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
keep me posted sixpak. I tow a heavy 5ver so I got to be careful about d rated tires.

I had an 03 ram 2500 hemi that would do the same thing. I put on Rancho 9000 and it helped a lot. That is why I was thinking it would cure my problem as well.

I took it on a good distant drive at highway speeds, and yes it is good!! The intown slow speed is were it is at. It almost feels like you hit 1 bump 3 times.
My D-rated 285's have a higher load rating (3300 lbs each at 65 psi) than the stock 245 E-rated tires (3045 lbs. at 80 psi). The tires are the Bridgestone Dueler Revos and ride great..

To get a better ride and be able to level the truck, here's what I did to mine:

I removed the 1" thick overload leaf spring at the bottom of the stack. I had to get new socket head cap screws that were a little shorter once the leaf was removed. With no load, that heavy leaf made the truck ride like a truck! I then added Firestone Ride-Rite air bags which have up to a 5,000 lb load capacity. The beauty of these is when you're unloaded, you back the air pressure down to 5 or 10 psi and you get a great, level ride. When you hook up your 5-er, just add pressure to the air bags to level the truck and voila, you're in business, and with a better ride. The air bags are rated for up to 100 psi, which would carry quite a load. Spring steel, especially the heavy overloads, are not for making the ride comfortable. If you're truck is a 2500HD, the Firestone kit is #2250C. Cranking up the T-bars also helps the ride a little. You don't want to be riding on the rubber bumpers under the a-arms. BTW, I'm still running the stock shocks. But, once they appear to get bouncey, I'll probably go to Bilsteins providing they don't ride to stiff. Only 6K miles on the truck. Need to find someone with Bilsteins on their truck to compare the ride.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I called Summit, and they are telling me the truck should have bilsteins on it already. I left a message with kennedy diesel as well.

what are the stock shocks?
No they do not. Bilsteins have always been yellow with blue boots except for the silver units for special applications.

Look around and you'll find literally hundreds of members saying what an improvement the Bilsteins made and wishing they had done it sooner...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yea I thought the same thing "only 4K on the truck, puttin shocks on is a waste" Well I put them on today and what a improvement. When I pulled the low mi OEMs I found they were shot at 4.8K (2 outa 4).

I thought some of the guys on here (shock wise) were nuts, well they were right....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
right on. I'll try giving you a call again kennedy! Thanks everyone for the info!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
right on. I'll try giving you a call again kennedy! Thanks everyone for the info!
Save the phone $$ and phone tag as I'm on the phone about nonstop during the day. I have them all set up for easy online ordering which frees me up for Tech calls etc..

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
lets stick with the original ? between gm and dodge........my neighbor's dodge is 1999 cummin 2500hd....the reason is dodge does not have a full set of leaf springs ,they are softer,they even have a helper leaf on top for extra load top out....my chevy is all leaf springs with out no helper making it stiffer on the back end. we loaded the same weight, a 3000lb pallet with bricks,guess which sag the most? his!!!!!!and he was even swaying during turns!!!!gm back-end are tougher!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
easy fix.....trow 400lb of salt bags in your bed,,,mine i just tow my fifth wheel hitch all the time.it weights about 320 lb. and it helps!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
sorry 320lb icludeds my tool box!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sixpack,
I have been thinking about your idea, and I reallyu think that would be a good way to go. I am putting on BFG 285's D range and bilsteins as well. Should ride sweet after that.

lennox, I understand what you are saying. I HAD to put airbags on the dodge. Anytime I hooked to a load the bumper was on the ground. My boss would hook up to the same trailer, and it was perfect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts