Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a connection with a horse ranch gal so I can go out every week and pick up her poop for the week (250 lbs/horse, 20 horses!). Its great for the trees.

Anyway, she packs it in a utility trailer. Bout 10 feet long and 5 or so feet wide. Instead of me having to drive out there to get it, and again to take it back, I am thinking about buying one and just trading every week.

Where is a good place to get them cheap? Ive tried equipment trader, ebay, the yellow pages, and harbor freight. None seem to have anything with high enough sides, unless I wanted a 14k dual axle hyd. dump trailer, which I dont.

The thing would need to hold at least 3000 lbs.

Any tips for me? Tx.

·
Registered
577 Posts
HHtrailer.com check them out. They have a
utility trailer that might just be perfect
for you. SS style if I remember right.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Didn't / doesn't U-Haul have open trailers around that size? They might have some "retired" units available...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
mannytranny said:
Ive got a connection with a horse ranch gal so I can go out every week and pick up her poop for the week (250 lbs/horse, 20 horses!). Its great for the trees.

I'm sorry manny, that is the funniest thing I'ver ever read on here.

ROTFLMAO!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas...

The Uhaul thing might e a good idea...If not, then Ill try that site!

I thought there would be a few here that would get a laugh out of it...

I emptied the thing on friday, it is sunday now, and she just callled to tell me it is full again...!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep, those horses keep right at it 7 days a week...

What kind of trees do you feed with this, uh, cargo?

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks...Will do.

I had a brilliant (alright, work with me here) idea about how to unload it all. When I take it back to the gal, Ill throw down some chain link fence in the bottom. Then, when it comes time to unload, Ill just hook it up to the box of the tractor, and pull away! Should save some work.

Anyway, it is for avocado trees.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Them must be some Monster avocados!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait till I get the sheet on them!

·
Registered
473 Posts
MT, What size is your orchard? How any trees / acres?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8.5 acres. Just under 700 trees.

Small compared to some others out this way. There are some 30+ acre ranches out here.

But when they get that big, they always contract a seperate manager to do it. Just too big of a job.

To give an idea of profitability: After a few yeasrs of growth, one can expect something in the neighborhood of 300-600 lbs of fruit per tree. (assuming the tree is well fed, healthy, and all that)

Right now, prices are a tad low. We are getting about $1.25/pound.

Last year, there was a spike near the end of the season, where the prices were close to 1.75/lb.

There is some motivation for shoveling poo every few days!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts