Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through a Optimizer reman in 20k miles. So I cannot go that route again. I saw a news piece that said AM General received a 44 million dollar engine contract engines for humvees. Then I saw on their website an Optimizer motor rated at 550 ft/lbs. i assume this is the P400 motor which I know was previously discontinued. So my question is, is it back? I am either going with a new long block or a 12 valve swap and would wait a bit if I could get the P400. Has anyone heard anything on this motor coming back? I called WW Williams and the guy I spoke with said they were not a distributor for the 6.5 so I have not been able to track down any more details. https://www.amgeneral.com/what-we-do/platforms-automotive-systems/automotive-components/

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts
My understanding is that the P400 is no longer being produced..

·
Registered
37 Posts
SCT, if you are able to confirm that the P400s are again available in any form, please post back here and I’ll follow up with you directly. Thanks a ton for looking into this !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went through a Optimizer reman in 20k miles. So I cannot go that route again. I saw a news piece that said AM General received a 44 million dollar engine contract engines for humvees. Then I saw on their website an Optimizer motor rated at 550 ft/lbs. i assume this is the P400 motor which I know was previously discontinued. So my question is, is it back? I am either going with a new long block or a 12 valve swap and would wait a bit if I could get the P400. Has anyone heard anything on this motor coming back? I called WW Williams and the guy I spoke with said they were not a distributor for the 6.5 so I have not been able to track down any more details. https://www.amgeneral.com/what-we-do/platforms-automotive-systems/automotive-components/
Just had a reman from Bostic?USEP that I returned, wasnt what was advertised. So I found a P400 60 deg that I will need to convert to a side mount turbo, new engine from AM general

·
Registered
633 Posts
"P400 60 deg" What is the "60 deg" in reference to, P35?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think its the center turbo intakes are 60 deg. So this is for either a humvee or a van

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The intake bolts are 60 deg. to the heads on the center mount turbo engines.
All others are 90 deg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found a P400 60 deg that I will need to convert to a side mount turbo, new engine from AM general
Care to share where/how you found this P400, and how many firstborn children the seller was asking for it?

Hadn't thought about this before, but were all the P400s configured for the center mount turbo since they were primarily intended as a repower unit for Humvee's? Or could they be ordered in side mount config as well? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
They could be ordered either 60* or 90* ..... The heads and other parts can still be purchased .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found a engine rebuilder that had a center mount p400 new from AMG , they can get me heads for side mount if I want. I went ahead and ordered a new 6.5 Optimiser from them also, it will be coming in about a month and it has a 3yr/70k warranty. Wont ever buy anything from BOSTIC or USEP again they are bad news

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a engine rebuilder that had a center mount p400 new from AMG , they can get me heads for side mount if I want. I went ahead and ordered a new 6.5 Optimiser from them also, it will be coming in about a month and it has a 3yr/70k warranty. Wont ever buy anything from BOSTIC or USEP again they are bad news
Found out the same thing about Bostic myself. Total waste of money. I am continually amazed by poor craftsmanship. Why not spend a little more time to do it right. There is what is presented as a P400 motor on ebay now, but I do not think it wise to trust that. So I will likely just go new optimizer.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Doesn't the DT466 fit in these trucks? I'm just creating plans for worst case scenario.

DBG made a great video on youtube about it.

Reactions: scasanova

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont really think they are available, the 60 deg heads I got with my p400 was a special order that the customer didnt want. They have offered to sell me the p400 90 deg intake bolt heads but I may just adapt my side mount turbo to a center turbo manifold

·
Registered
11 Posts
BOSTIC MOTORS told me they hot dyno their engines to break in the cam and check the engine, mine came untested and it was shipped from US engine productions. I was told that they had to do a cold run with an electric dyno and there were no signs that was even done so I rejected it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts