Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:eek:In an agreement signed today GM is selling the medium 4to8 ton truck division to Navistar. GM will only sell light duty trucks and cars worldwide.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
On Thursday, GM tentatively agreed to sell its medium-duty truck business to a unit of truck maker Navistar International Corp. The sale, which involves a division that builds vehicles used as tow trucks, for example, is part of GM's plan to focus on building and selling passenger cars and pickup trucks.

"I'm glad we did all the stuff we did because frankly, the competitive conditions, the economy, obviously the discussions around the fuel economy regulations, certainly highlight that there's plenty of stuff to work on in front of us," Wagoner said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Seems GM is all about short term profits lately selling off everything, hopefully these idiots dont run the company into the ground. I really liked the GM medium duty series, there alot nicer than the Interational medium dutys. I wonder what all the companies that have huge fleets of nothing but GM mediums dutys will do now?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Seems GM is all about short term profits lately selling off everything, hopefully these idiots dont run the company into the ground. I really liked the GM medium duty series, there alot nicer than the Interational medium dutys. I wonder what all the companies that have huge fleets of nothing but GM mediums dutys will do now?
GM is doing what's necessary to strengthen it's financial situation. If GM didn't ask for your input, that doesn't make them idiots. Saying it's all about short term profit is about as wrong as you could be.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Now Now Boys This Is Good Old Usa Everyone Is Entitled To Their Own Opinion

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
GM is doing what's necessary to strengthen it's financial situation. If GM didn't ask for your input, that doesn't make them idiots. Saying it's all about short term profit is about as wrong as you could be.
Because GM isn't abandoning a huge market?:rolleyes: I'm a die hard Chevy guy, but GM doesnt ask for my input or any of there other customers, that does make them idiots. Because if they actually gave us options, they would be alot better off. Maybe 3500 HD crew cabs, a manual tranmission option, a solid axle option for 3500 HD's, the list goes on.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
: Edit to my previous post: I know there are 3500 HD crew cabs, I meant 3500 HD crew cab short boxes

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Not good. Consolidation of leading competitors is never good for the consumer.

It will be very interesting to see which diesel they use for the Kodiak's though.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
Not good. Consolidation of leading competitors is never good for the consumer.

It will be very interesting to see which diesel they use for the Kodiak's though.
Do you think they'll keep the kodiaks around still? I was a little curious about that. I was thinking they'd just absorb them into the international future designs or somthing along those lines. It would be nice though if they kept some of the Kodiack/Top Kick identity or even the whole truck. They are the best looking medium dutys, the others are all so car like and curvy.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Because GM isn't abandoning a huge market?:rolleyes: I'm a die hard Chevy guy, but GM doesnt ask for my input or any of there other customers, that does make them idiots. Because if they actually gave us options, they would be alot better off. Maybe 3500 HD crew cabs, a manual tranmission option, a solid axle option for 3500 HD's, the list goes on.
Yes I agree with you at 100%. But the problem with that is ... where does it end!? Gm would not be able to catter to everyones demands.. and that is what would drive them into the ground.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Do you think they'll keep the kodiaks around still? I was a little curious about that. I was thinking they'd just absorb them into the international future designs or somthing along those lines. It would be nice though if they kept some of the Kodiack/Top Kick identity or even the whole truck. They are the best looking medium dutys, the others are all so car like and curvy.
It appears they are buying the name Kodiak and TopKick and it's distribution channels, and engineering related to their production.

There are two things that can happen:

Navistar adds Kodiak and TopKick permanently to their product line and continues their development, seeing it a profitable entity. Unlikely.

Navistar slowly dissolves the brand names without further engineering, pulling the plug right before it goes into the red, but retaining any patents or other valuable technology. Normal result.

Like MicroSoft and many other companies, it is often profitable to buy your competition out (especially if they are weak) and throw it in the trash to gain market share.

This is probably what is happening. The medium duty Kodiak and TopKick lines are not profit centers for GM perhaps, so it's best to sell out to the competition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a Duramax fan and Navistar Employee, This is a deal that I've been keeping an eye on for a while. From what I'm told so far, these trucks will use the current engines for atleast a couple of years.The Maxxforce engines may become a option later. I think it would be a goog Idea to also use the G.M. engine as an option in the International trucks, atleast offer the gas 8.1 so the customers have a choice.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
The 8.1 is a huge selling point. Due to the fact GM is the only medium duty company to offer a gas motor. Alot of contractors and other crews buy them for the fact that it doesnt have the cold weather problems diesels have, when there isnt anywhere to plug in at.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GM has 17 different diesels being put in vehicles worldwide starting with the 1.3 L Jet injection common rail Diesel. The new 4.5 L Diesel was designed to bolt up to the motor mounts in many gasoline powered GM vehicles. It may be offered to power the Corvette soon. The 4.5 L diesel is a true GM engine, made in Tonawanda, New York at the same plant that makes the 8.1 L gasoline engine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Navistar has had a lot of competition in the medium duty truck market. Look at all the smaller Kenworths and Peterbuilts at different municipalities, let alone the Asian trucks. I think you will see the GM medium truck name plates around. In my opinion Navistar needs all the market they can get to survive.
This could prove to be interesting. Rumor is Ferd is working on their own diesel to cut ties with Navistar. From what i understand, the powerstroke name is Fords, could be interesting to see what the future holds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts