Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all can you do with the navigation system? Find restauraunts in areas? directions? malls? and so on? what can you do/find with it? Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
I love my Garmin 2720. Find resturants, hospitals, lodging, fuel, Lat & Log position, elevation, speed, mileage traveled, entered addresses, and some other things I cant remember right now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Thanks for the info..What about the GM navigation system? Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
nhraracer90;1577246; said:
Ok Thanks for the info..What about the GM navigation system? Thanks
I'm having the GM "Delphi" OEM system installed this friday in my new 07 Classic Dually..........I'm not sure but I think that the truck has to be XM and ONSTAR ready before the system will work.....but someone elce here may correct me. The reason that I say this is because the guy installing the system asked me if the truck had these systems already ( XM and ONSTAR). I know that the portable systems are cheaper but I like the look of the factory system and I have seen it in my buddies Yukon and it is awsome. Only drawback...........if you have it installed and if you want to keep your 6 CD capability you'll also need an aftermarket CD changer installed...usually under the seat. The navigation system is great on trips especially if you're hauling a 37 foot 5th wheel.......not too easy to do U-turns if you get lost!!:eek:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..I know you can find lodging, hotels, restauraunts and stuff like that on the portable ones, but can you do that on the ones from GM? Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
I haven't found anything like that yet. It allows you to enter an address or a point of interest but no more. The DVD that I have has very few points of interest on it for my area. But I'm in Utah, not many points of interest here as far as outsiders are concerned.

Onstar will find restaurants, gas stations, movie theaters, etc for you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
nhraracer90;1577937; said:
Ok..I know you can find lodging, hotels, restauraunts and stuff like that on the portable ones, but can you do that on the ones from GM? Thanks
Yes

·
Registered
483 Posts
nhraracer90;1577937; said:
ok..i know you can find lodging, hotels, restauraunts and stuff like that on the portable ones, but can you do that on the ones from gm? thanks
yes

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the Garmin Nuvi 660, I don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
woody240;1578286; said:
There's an option where you can add points of interest, gas stations, hotels, etc . .

·
Registered
419 Posts
So they have to be entered by the user?
If you have to tell it the POI then the user already knows how to get there and why not just drive there?

·
Registered
443 Posts
woody240;1578372; said:
So they have to be entered by the user?
If you have to tell it the POI then the user already knows how to get there and why not just drive there?
No, the points of interest restaurants, hotels gas stations, etc are already loaded on the CD . . . if you opt to, you can have the navigation system show icons for all of those . . . does that make more sense??

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Garmin 2720 and love it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
T.P.N.;1578376; said:
No, the points of interest restaurants, hotels gas stations, etc are already loaded on the CD . . . if you opt to, you can have the navigation system show icons for all of those . . . does that make more sense??
I gotta find a user manual for that thing

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is the GM navigation worth paying $500-$1000 or not? For instance, if i have it give me directions to Charleston, WV, would it tell me where hotels, motels, restauraunts,gas stations, etc are in that area?

·
Registered
335 Posts
None of the proprietary systems can stand up to Garmin. My Streetpilot 7200 is the bees knees. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
lovette;1578984; said:
actually, here is where I downloaded it from.
Wicked Cool... I'm going to go do some reading.

Thanks,
Tony

1 - 20 of 22 Posts