Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought the whole kit and kaboodle and installed it in my truck. Really nice looking, but the guidance is a bit lacking. It only seems to take main roads and then tells me detailed guidance is not available follow arrows and distance on screen when I get close to my destination. OR it directs me to main roads and when I take another road it keeps directing me back to the original route. These are old and very established roads and they track just fine on the screen.

I have the 4.1 DVD. If this is the closest it can get I guess it comes out and goes back to ebay. Any idea if 5.0 would be any better? I suspect it just ain't got the horsepower to figure a complete route internally.

I have tried fastest, shortest, alternate and not any better. And I do have it set to recalculate route.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Where are you, Utah or something. Wait a minute, that's where I'm at.
My unit shows golf courses that aren't even finished yet. Is it an original DVD or a burn that says 4.1 on it? Do you have "fastest route" selected? I've learned a few street names I never knew were there. At first I was unimpressed but it's really grown on me now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Tennessee...

woody240;1604202; said:
Where are you, Utah or something. Wait a minute, that's where I'm at.
My unit shows golf courses that aren't even finished yet. Is it an original DVD or a burn that says 4.1 on it? Do you have "fastest route" selected? I've learned a few street names I never knew were there. At first I was unimpressed but it's really grown on me now.
I am in Tennessee, just north of Nashville. It shows all the street names and even tracks on them, but won't use them for routing no matter what option I try. My handheld navigation systems have always taken me on these roads so I can't understand why this unit won't use them and even when I drive on them it won't figure out how to re-route using them. In fact when I directed it to the airport the route it gave was 58 miles versus the 46 miles my other system have given. And it wouldn't re-route until I got onto the original route, then it "re-routed" from there.

The DVD was brand new and seems to work fine.

My concern is the roads show up so I don't know if the 5.0 version has better routing programming or if that is built into the unit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Very interesting. If I'm in the middle of a congested suburb it will guide me out using secondary streets but I have never tried to get someplace using secondaries intentionally.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Look at the instructions for the dvd/map disk. It tells/shows what areas have detailed info and what areas do not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have detailed maps as my truck never leaves a road on the screen and even shows to be on the correct road. The unit just doesn't seem to be able to use those roads in its' route calculation.

When I first started buying Nav software for my PDA in 2005 it did the same thing until they got a little better at routing programs. Assuming the routing program is built into the unit it may be the programs just aren't up to it. I was hoping the programs were on the DVD and updating to 5.0 might help. BUT, I don't want to keep pouring money into the setup if it won't get me what I need.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sell It!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think it's the programming in the NAV unit/DVD. My works fine in most areas, but if I get off into the "less traveled areas" (ie, boonies) it tells me it can not provide guidance (even though all the streets are shown and all it would need to say is turn right at the next intersection).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts