Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a TNR in my truck and it won't track. It found me right away, so I know the antenna is working. It only updates every minute or so. I seem to remember when I did this install on my other truck that it had to "learn" for a while. Anyone else have this problem? Do I just have a slow learner?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lovette;1583034; said:
Sounds like you don't have a VSS wire connected.
I don't want it installed. It should not be necesary. I don't have it installed on my other truck and it tracks fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You must have the vss wire installed. The gps on the nav radio does not update quickly. This is one of the training excercises GM makes us do at the training center. The complaint is that the map does not update quickly. The concern is the vss is not being supplied. The vss helps the radio know the refresh rate of the screen.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RogerM;1583418; said:
You must have the vss wire installed. The gps on the nav radio does not update quickly. This is one of the training excercises GM makes us do at the training center. The complaint is that the map does not update quickly. The concern is the vss is not being supplied. The vss helps the radio know the refresh rate of the screen.
I understand what you are saying. However, I don't have the VSS installed on my other truck, yet it tracks flawlessly. The only drawback is it runs about 2 seconds behind. I will be very happy with this on my new TNR. I'm going to take a 30 minute drive tomorrow and hope that solves my problem. It did the last time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
rcpd34;1583512; said:
I understand what you are saying. However, I don't have the VSS installed on my other truck, yet it tracks flawlessly. The only drawback is it runs about 2 seconds behind. I will be very happy with this on my new TNR. I'm going to take a 30 minute drive tomorrow and hope that solves my problem. It did the last time.
:boxing:

·
Registered
664 Posts
rcpd34, if you figure out how to have smooth tracking without the VSS wire, please post it. Mine does exactly what yours does with the wire disconnected. You could always put a switch inline with the wire, to disable it on demand.

What year is your "other" truck? Don't some of newer ones have the VSS wire already installed?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lovette;1584371; said:
rcpd34, if you figure out how to have smooth tracking without the VSS wire, please post it. Mine does exactly what yours does with the wire disconnected. You could always put a switch inline with the wire, to disable it on demand.

What year is your "other" truck? Don't some of newer ones have the VSS wire already installed?
My other truck is an '06 and definately does not have the VSS. I got that unit from MachoMachoDan and he was the one who advised to let it learn. I have not been able to take a 30 min drive yet to see if it works on this one or not. I like to be able to program on the fly and do not have a place for another switch.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wirelessly posted (palm tx: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Cool. MMD seems to be the man. I vaguely remember a thread about needing to add a VSS in older models, but I'd believe machodan.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
rcpd34;1584508; said:
My other truck is an '06 and definately does not have the VSS. I got that unit from MachoMachoDan and he was the one who advised to let it learn. I have not been able to take a 30 min drive yet to see if it works on this one or not. I like to be able to program on the fly and do not have a place for another switch.
The VSS is already hooked into the harness on the 06. That's why you didn't have to hook it up - it already is. If I remember right, trucks earlier than 05 HAVE to have the VSS hooked up to read right.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wirelessly posted (palm tx: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

That's what I was thinking. Can you program destinations "on the fly" in your 06, or does it blank out?

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
From what I've read, you have to be stopped to program destinations with any of the units if the VSS is hooked up, no matter what year. Some folks here have put a toggle switch in to temporairly disable it for programing.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tom S.;1584815; said:
The VSS is already hooked into the harness on the 06. That's why you didn't have to hook it up - it already is. If I remember right, trucks earlier than 05 HAVE to have the VSS hooked up to read right.
I hadn't heard that. Do you know why? And yes I can program on the fly, the VSS is not hooked up on the '06 either.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
VSS wire from factory is hit or miss on all the trucks 2003-up. Must be theres a certain sequence of options you have to have on the truck for it to be there.

Some TNRs are slower than others to update if you dont wire in the VSS.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TheBac;1585110; said:
VSS wire from factory is hit or miss on all the trucks 2003-up. Must be theres a certain sequence of options you have to have on the truck for it to be there.

Some TNRs are slower than others to update if you dont wire in the VSS.
Huh. Will this one eventually learn like my '06 or will it stay the way it is; real slow. It is essentially worthless right now, so I'll have to wire the VSS if it doesn't catch on soon... Don't suppose it matters that the slow one is a non-Bose and the other one is a Bose non-LUX does it?

·
Registered
664 Posts

Mine is non-lux Bose. Useless without VSS, but I never ran it long that way.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
rcpd34;1585241; said:
Huh. Will this one eventually learn like my '06 or will it stay the way it is; real slow. It is essentially worthless right now, so I'll have to wire the VSS if it doesn't catch on soon... Don't suppose it matters that the slow one is a non-Bose and the other one is a Bose non-LUX does it?
Dont know. Could be. Temporarily wire in the VSS and find out. It cant hurt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the newer, 0000 TNR non-lux unit in a 2007 classic. It would not update correctly until I hooked up the VSS wire. Like you said, it was essentially useless. The unit worked fine as soon as I connected the VSS wire.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I to recently installed a newer unit without the vss wire and it updates very quickly but is still off a couple seconds. It tells me to turn about 100' before the turn rather than a few hundred feet. I like the ability to change on the fly so I'm leaving the vss disconnected for now.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
woody240;1588228; said:
I to recently installed a newer unit without the vss wire and it updates very quickly but is still off a couple seconds. It tells me to turn about 100' before the turn rather than a few hundred feet. I like the ability to change on the fly so I'm leaving the vss disconnected for now.
Did it work right away, or did it take some time to "learn"?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts