Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Napa crimped me some 5000psi hydraulic lines for my oilguard bypass filter. That should hold back the 100psi cold starts :)

I drained all my oils and switched to synthetic.

GM SCREWED ME!.
I drained ONLY 2 bottles of gear oil from the rear diff.
It took 4.5 to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. My question is this. Did the diff only being filled 1/3rd to proper fill point cause any damage?
Should I ask GM for a lifetime warranty for the rear diff?

Im Pissed about this.

My 1500 Silverado was 1qt low on oil and 1 qt low on tranny straight from the factory. They do that crap to save money. Also my front diff was black tar like dirty oil. I only have 10k miles and less then 20 miles in 4wd.
Whats up with that? Are they filling it with used oil?
I will post pics when it stops raining.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 04 rear axle was about 2 qts. low too. I called GM and they said just take to the dealer and they will fill it. Hopefully it didn't cause any damage. For $45,000 you would think they would fill and check all fluid levels, prior to delivery.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Bad Point

They are paying a dipsh!t to pre service all new vehicles before delivery to customer, all fluid levels are to be checked plus a long list of other points. I would let service mgr. know of this. He needs to have a little talk with his make ready person.

Geno

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it do damage to the rear end?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Problem Child

How many miles and were they loaded heavy miles. Normal driving probably not, you could probably here it if there was.

Geno

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10K miles no towing. Just city/hiway/snowy mountains. Some 4wd.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
you are probaly ok. If ther was a problem you would be getting a noise. Mine was also low from the factory and I did my change at 5k. Went to the dealer and they pulled the rear cover and all looked new. I would touch base with the dealer, you did go back with synthetic lube I hope. Good luck

Geno

·
Registered
958 Posts
Mine was also 1qt low in the rear, checked it at 10k miles. The front was at the correct level.

I guess GM figures that 1 or 2 quarts per truck = a big $$$ savings, the cheap bastages... That stuff is rediculously expensive from the GM parts counter, too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
as far as the rear diff. and fluids the pdi tech should be catching this along with any lube service. under warranty note it and have them fill them. as the front diff goes you have a 1500. i have seen this month alone 6 front diff ranging from 11-33k miles that grind when turning. ther is a tech bulliten regarding these front diffs i see the comming problem is from the case bearing preload adjusters over tigthened causing case bearing to over heat and pit. the metal in your fluid and on the plug are from the bearings.go the the dealer and have it looked at if its under warrenty say front diff makes a grouling noise (my change with auto 4x4 or 4hi) these diffs are arounf $1700 dallars.note it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked both my front and rear differentials tonight. They are both low....I don't know how much since I didn't drain them but I couldn't reach the lube with my finger in the fill port as far as it would go.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Low fluids on delivery appear to be common. My rear differential was 1-1/2 qts low. The front differential was 1 qt low. Transfer case 1 qt low.

From the signatures it looks like the 2003 GMC and Chevy models have a history.

It appears the best thing to do is check it yourself right after purchase. It appears the dealers accross the country don't do it.Edited by: JohnnyO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts