Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I am the resident air filter geek. I have been doing a lot of research on air fitlter technology ever since my invitation to visit K&N. I am leaving for Riverside, CA Monday in order to tour their facility.

I have been learning about the newest technology in the filtering industry. It is "nanofiber" technology which is in production at this time by Amsoil and Donaldson.

This technology uses "nanofibers" that are less than 1 micron in diameter and are "mated" or blown onto another surface or media such as paper or other synthetic media. The fibers look like a web of super thin fibers on the surface of the relatively thick paper or synthetic fibers. The purpose is to greatly enhance all characteristics of a filter including Efficiency, Dirt Holding Capacity, Flow, and longevity. I called Amsoil's headquarters and they sent me a detailed explanation of the technology. It claims to have some VERY impressive performance in all of the above mentioned performance tests. Unfortunately they would not share actual ISO data with me.

Just wanted to make you all aware and see if anyone else has any info they could give us. Happy Filtering! SPICER

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Are these oilless filters? Are they made for the stock airbox only or conical as well?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are these oilless filters? Are they made for the stock airbox only or conical as well?
Yes, these air filters are oilless. But AMSOIL using Nanofiber technology in oil filters too... those are not oilless. :) I think the air filters come in all different shapes/sizes to match diff vehicles... Greg Ludaynt will probably jump in shortly and confirm.

I recently bought one of the new AMSOIL air filters, but haven't put it in yet.

Spicer: Please keep us up to date, and thanks for all that you have shared! --Paul.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amsoil has abandoned the oiled foam idea. These new filters are oilless from Amsoil and Donaldson. I have also seen on one website something about one from Amsoil that IS oiled also, but I will need to look again to be sure.

The technology has also been added to Amsoil OIL filters. This all sounds very cool and promising, but WE HAVE SEEN A LOT OF CLAIMS IN THE PAST that did not meet the challenge in our air filter study. I suppose time will tell, but it does look really promising.

The information I got from Amsoil was the powerpoint presentation given at SEMA 2005. It indicates that the research and development of this technology was a combined effort by Amsoil, Fleetguard, Donaldson, WIX and K&N, as well as Southwest Research Institute where I know that they do ISO 5011 Air Filter Testing.

Hopefully I will find out more about K&N's roll when I visit. Can't wait! SPICER

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The technology has also been added to Amsoil OIL filters. This all sounds very cool and promising, but WE HAVE SEEN A LOT OF CLAIMS IN THE PAST that did not meet the challenge in our air filter study. I suppose time will tell, but it does look really promising.

Hopefully I will find out more about K&N's roll when I visit. Can't wait! SPICER

False advertising has caught me on occasion ):h Hopefully you come back with some legit info from your trip :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cut apart a new amsoil Ea filter and you wont have to worry about false advertisement. They say in conjunction with amsoil synthetic oil you can go 25000 miles on a oil change. I have been using them since they came out. I have yet to see amsoil not able to back up something they sell.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut apart a new amsoil Ea filter and you wont have to worry about false advertisement. They say in conjunction with amsoil synthetic oil you can go 25000 miles on a oil change. I have been using them since they came out. I have yet to see amsoil not able to back up something they sell.
Their older air filters (the oiled foam) did NOT live up to their claims. It was poor at filtering efficiency, worse at dirt holding capacity and only mediocre at flow. The advertising made it out to be something out of this world. It was garbage and the UNI was right there with it. Ironically, Amsoil has now abandoned the oiled foam.

Hopefully this new technology is a real improvement.

The difference between the Amsoil and the Donaldson is unclear. From what I saw it looks like the Amsoil is designed to be cleanable (using a vacuum or air compressor) and the Donaldson does not advertise this ability. It also looked like the Donaldson was more expensive. The filtering ability (all categories of performance) of each filter is unclear as there is no ISO data at this time that we could use to compare it with the filters we have already tested. I must say, though, that the fact that there are changes on the horizon is very exciting to me. SPICER

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am a dealer for Amsoil, they are selling a new nanofiber air filter that is made so you don't use oil. You can also blow it out a couple of times. Wasn't sure if they made one for the D-max yet though. Last I checked they didn't. The oil filter they do though, its got the new technology.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Their older air filters (the oiled foam) did NOT live up to their claims. It was poor at filtering efficiency, worse at dirt holding capacity and only mediocre at flow. The advertising made it out to be something out of this world. It was garbage and the UNI was right there with it. Ironically, Amsoil has now abandoned the oiled foam.
And still, oddly enough, I have over 100,000 miles of excellent service out of that "garbage" with wear metals and silicon numbers documented in the SINGLE digits on many many oil samples. Both Amsoil AND Uni, by the way. I respect your efforts above and beyond on the comparison testing, Spicer, and I look forward to your report back on your visit to K&N, but I think you are not getting off to a very "unbiased" start with your "garbage" statements.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And still, oddly enough, I have over 100,000 miles of excellent service out of that "garbage" with wear metals and silicon numbers documented in the SINGLE digits on many many oil samples. Both Amsoil AND Uni, by the way. I respect your efforts above and beyond on the comparison testing, Spicer, and I look forward to your report back on your visit to K&N, but I think you are not getting off to a very "unbiased" start with your "garbage" statements.
I respect your opinion and results. However, if Amsoil's oiled foam was still viewed as superior by them (Amsoil), I am sure it would have made a lot more sense NOT to discontinue making it.
In the words of Richard Holappa, Jr., Technical Product Manager of filtration at Amsoil, per our conversation last week, "We knew we had issues with the oiled foam. We knew we needed to move away from it and find something else."

There are many possible explanations for your good results with oiled foam. Believe it or not, according to George Morrison, good air/dirt in your region of the country could be one of them. With the results you are getting, it would not be a poor choice to stick with the foam. But your results are NOT because oiled foam is a superior technology. Bias plays no role in my opinion as bias is based on something other than fact. According to the ISO 5011 test, the value of the oiled foam speaks for itself. SPICER

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, we've respectfully agreed to disagree in the past and I don't see any reason to change. You've tried to use that "clean air" excuse before, but I travel all over the country in all kinds of very dirty air (havesting agricultural areas - active limestone quarries - and all kinds of winter road treatments with cinders, salt and grime. I believe in the principle of oiled foam and my "real world" results support that belief. The results from your testing did not place the oiled foam at the bottom of the overall performance scale - I believe it was in the upper half. Although it did not fully support the claims, it was far from "garbage" and I prove that it works on a real truck in real conditions for a real long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.