Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using MMO as a fuel additive for lubrication. is anybody else doing this and what is thoughts of the experts on this subject. I've used MMO for years in my gas powered trucks and small motors. Also use Total Power. Have a Nictane Filter on the truck but not due for a filter change for 10K miles so at the rate I'm going that will be next year. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When you solve "mystery" of what's in it then a evaluation to good or bad can be made otherwise it's a crap shoot ...

AVlube (George Morrison) has already said I wouldn't,I'd go on that alone ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Bill I agree with Mac on this one. There was a lot of stuff put in the fuel and gas over the years. It is now 2004 and there are a lot of good products specifically formulated for modern engines. I am from the old school but believe in the new technology. There are a lot of chemicals out there. I can almost guarantee not all are compatible with all the different seal materials through out our engines and transmissions. Since I don't have anything better to do I am going to tell a little story about what can happen by just using the wrong oil. I was a Maintenance foreman for a large aerospace company here in Utah before I retired a couple years ago. We had our own bulk oil storage building with mostly 55 gallon drums of every type of industrial and motor oil imaginable. We used a lot of ATF ( red colored) in a variety of small low pressure hydraulic systems. We also used a (red colored) fire proof oil for a special test unit. I seem to remember it was for aviation use. To make this story short, the PM crew ran out of ATF and substituted the aviation oil to top off a few systems. After finding several systems , in just a few days , leaking like a sieve it was not hard to figure out what the problem was. That oil ate the the piston rings in the cylinders along with most of the "O" it the various control valves. One hell of a mess. Live and learn. Later! Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts